PSA: PVPing

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
So,
You've been killed by a Blue player bandit on the new Solitude server without a single word spoken between either of you. You're looking at your death screen and becoming increasingly frustrated at the "29 minutes 59 seconds" timer mocking you and the first thing that pops into your mind is: "[NAME] IS A DICK."

See, this is where the issue begins. No doubt you, the player have switched from your main server to Solitude to see what all the hype is about only to die within a few minutes to a bandit and you feel this is unfair or wrong. This might be a normal reaction if your main server is, say RoF - which has around rules, restrictions, and a playerbase that is trying to work together. Let me tell you - Solitude is none of these things.

Solitude as a server is built around chaos and no rules, this allows any player or players who wish to, to act as the bad guy, the aspect of roleplaying as a rogue is appealing to many (as is evident by now) and this is why you may be killed by someone you were attempting to be friendly towards. Tactics like teaming up and surrounding a lone and unarmed player may seem terrible, but they are just tactics.

Solitude is not a faction based PVE server to build a mighty Sancti empire, or to necessarily rebuild Crucia in another server. The main goal of Solitude is the feeling of being alone, lost, and constantly in danger. The atmosphere is designed to drop you in the result of a nuclear fallout.

Of course there are exceptions to some of these guidelines - Spawnkilling is certainly a dick move, and so is PVP logging.

In short: Just because you have been killed doesn't mean something is wrong with someone or with the server.

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I understand what you mean but it seems a little bizaare at the moment that you can spawn and before you can get all your armour equipped you can be killed by some guy in all iron armour. I understand that this is gonna happen most likely in the early days of solitude, as the map is small. When the map is much larger I expect it won't be as much of a problem.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
This thread has been made for every server that allows hacky slashy on other players. Perhaps the majority of Blocktopia players are just too sensitive to failure.

Well, if they get super mad and get all hot about it then they shouldn't play; I mean, when you die you can see where you failed, and improve on the mistakes that you had just made, or you can talk with your friends and discuss a new plan on how to attack, or what to do when you log back in. Been on it all day and have had nothing but fun, after all, nothing should be taken seriously.

• Agree
Reactions: balloon98

Gameprochampion

Got the moves like Jagger!
Reaction score
This thread has been made for every server that allows hacky slashy on other players. Perhaps the majority of Blocktopia players are just too sensitive to failure.

Well, if they get super mad and get all hot about it then they shouldn't play; I mean, when you die you can see where you failed, and improve on the mistakes that you had just made, or you can talk with your friends and discuss a new plan on how to attack, or what to do when you log back in. Been on it all day and have had nothing but fun, after all, nothing should be taken seriously.
Yeah I seriously think PVP will work in Blocktopia for once! It's been really fun today, lots of raids, lots of getting killed, etc lol

Reactions: asaechao

Sploorky

Reaction score
Wait until the map is huge, a lot of the spawnkilling frustration will be taken away :D

Very good post. Solitude is about making your own experiences, not making things peachy keen for others. Someone killed you for no reason? It wasn't because oh man, I want to be a real jerk to this guy, I'll get him good. It's because it fits the experience.

I hate pvp, but I'm sure as hell not going to buddy up with everyone I meet. That would be no fun!

Love that you brought this up, jay.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Nevermind Pvping isn't working at all >_>

Butt hurt kids will be butt hurt
It's been brought up, and the opinion is supported by many, that Blocktopia members can't handle PVP. Whether or not I agree with this for a certainty depends on how well we do as a community to handle the server. I believe that if everyone can atleast keep this thread in mind it'll be a good place to start.
I understand what you mean but it seems a little bizaare at the moment that you can spawn and before you can get all your armour equipped you can be killed by some guy in all iron armour. I understand that this is gonna happen most likely in the early days of solitude, as the map is small. When the map is much larger I expect it won't be as much of a problem.
I do agree with this and it was added from the start that spawnkilling was an exception to the general guideline, but this won't last for long on a 5,400 - 5,400 map. :3

Reactions: Gameprochampion

Gameprochampion

Got the moves like Jagger!
Reaction score
Nevermind Pvping isn't working at all >_>

Butt hurt kids will be butt hurt
It's been brought up, and the opinion is supported by many, that Blocktopia members can't handle PVP. Whether or not I agree with this for a certainty depends on how well we do as a community to handle the server. I believe that if everyone can atleast keep this thread in mind it'll be a good place to start.
I do agree with this and it was added from the start that spawnkilling was an exception to the general guideline, but this won't last for long on a 5,400 - 5,400 map. :3
I think it'll workout ok, it's just I guess it's a transition period. People just don't treat it like a game.

Jubjubers

Best BuildBox Guy 2011 - 2013
Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
A small note to be remembered by all serious PvPers.
Spamming;
""1v1 me!"
"1v1 me!"
"1v1 me!"
"1v1 me!"
"1v1 me!"
"GET ON MY LEVEL"
"GET ON MY LEVEL"
"GET ON MY LEVEL"
"GET ON MY LEVEL""

Will always make people hate you.
especially me.

• Agree
Reactions: Pikmon2

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
i understand the appeal of no rules and why you think a lot of players are complaining however the server isnt really fun when were killed before we can begin to gather resources..(or do anything to give ourselves a chance at fighting)
A lot of these issues are still with a small server, Blue team might have all the iron on the 200 by 200 map but later on not so much. The solitude test release has probably been outlived for now. Also, its still possible to get a group and take them out 1 by 1.

Jubjubers

Best BuildBox Guy 2011 - 2013
Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
Right, let's get this all settled.
Most of these complaints are about spawnkilling. This is a non-issue on the actual server - the actual server being roughly 5km x 5km blocks large.
Understandably, not everyone will play Solitude to kill eachother. Even so, if people aren't good at PvP, it isn't an excuse to call them butthurt, noobs etc etc. Be sporting, if you kill someone and insult them, you won't gain any benefits other than the famed "whoever is reading the console wants to skin you alive" perk (which you don't really want).
We won't take any action of people who lightly insult people when dying, though. That is all to the other players' choice.
Again, if you can't play on a test server like civil people, why should you play on the actual map?