Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
How much about what you do online with others do you prefer to keep hidden from friends and family irl? For me, I'd rather not share much between the two. But lately I've been trying not to keep stuff like skyping a secret, but I wouldn't go out of my way to talk about who I chat with online. How about you kids?

Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
i keep mainly everything about my online life private from my parents, mainly because they literally do not know how 2 internet, it's a hassle teaching them how to use a laptop, i don't even want to go near explaining what a "Tumblr" is.

i have introduced my dad to Counter Strike though, so there's that.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
My parents/most of my friends never knew that I was an admin here or even was in a community like this, even when there were times it crossed into my personal life (I have had people dox me, some accurate, some not, thankfully it has never gone further than some light harassment). I feel like mentioning my experience could be useful somewhere - at least having the experience has been useful - but I'll probably just let it fade away.

• Useful
Reactions: Duffie

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I bring my friends, roommates, love interests on Teamspeak especially if they play similar games and my family is aware I have friends on here ("you should ask your League friends what to bring to college") but it's still lost on the general public how I "haven't been talking to a 55 year old man xddd"

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
So far it seems like I'm the only one who actually talks to my mum about my online life a lot. She understands though, since she plays a lot of WoW, she also has online friends so she isn't really in a position to judge me lmao. She doesn't mind me meeting people on the Internet as long as I'm not an idiot and reveal anything super secret personal to them.

• Agree

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I pretty much hide nothing, ever since I came out about my gender identity at the end of 2014.

... Well, except my *ahem* collection, that I only discuss with certain friends who are open about such discussions... Yes.

BUT everything else pretty much fair game for open discussion. I love to debate and talk about things I do and like, online and offline... Probably because I'm not trash like most internet dwellers. ;)

Edit:
So far it seems like I'm the only one who actually talks to my mum about my online life a lot. She understands though, since she plays a lot of WoW, she also has online friends so she isn't really in a position to judge me lmao. She doesn't mind me meeting people on the Internet as long as I'm not an idiot and reveal anything super secret personal to them.
Omgyus, although moreso me and my dad in my atrospect. He and I played EverQuest 2, along with my mother, too, but she didn't get into it as much as me and my father did. They both played EverQuest 1, though.

So I guess I have "kinda gamer" parents... Even though those were, like, the last games they ever played, because life. x)

Last edited:

lizthehedgehog

Orange Juice Spiller
Admin
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
all my mom does is play those facebook games and some of those old games on her laptop... She did play the NES and the TurboGrafx 16 when she was younger though and tries to play on the Wii..
"tries"

But yeah I tend to keep them completely separate and dont really talk about it unless I'm excited or happy about it. She doesn't really follow the whole "ur talking to a guy in his 60s" parent thing but she does worry if I'm completely safe on the webs, which is a nice thing.

• Love

superhalo6

Reaction score
all my mom does is play those facebook games and some of those old games on her laptop... She did play the NES and the TurboGrafx 16 when she was younger though and tries to play on the Wii..
"tries"

But yeah I tend to keep them completely separate and dont really talk about it unless I'm excited or happy about it. She doesn't really follow the whole "ur talking to a guy in his 60s" parent thing but she does worry if I'm completely safe on the webs, which is a nice thing.
I'm only 59 years old, hey!

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Skittz MOMMY MEETUP MAKE IT HAPPEN

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
tbf my parents know of my close online friends, but it was far from easy at first. they always assumed you were all pedos till i started to talk to them a bit more about my friends. now my mom always messes about when im on teamspeak and joins in the bants, my dad would too if he still lived with us, but he does when he visits or when i go to his. the rest of my family just know i live on my pc and spend too much time playing games. i think it all depends on your personal situation and relationships with your family tbf.

• Love