Portals on CTF

Kloud_Strife

TNT Drama Queen
Reaction score
Lately, I've noticed a disturbing amount of flag area portals on CTF maps. Now, the ops have taken care of them as quickly as it was reported, but I really think that 0x3c0 has to remove five portals from the same map in the course of a couple of minutes. So what I'm suggesting (Or asking, more accurately) is: Is there a way to zone the flag area so that portals cant be placed near them?

Alkatraz

Reaction score
Short answer:
No, not without making it impossible to place anything.
Long answer:
Maybe, but at the moment, zones are split into two types, user or rank. User zones mean nobody can edit unless they are added to the zone (this includes referees etc.), the recent zones on MoltenRock and CTF-Corridors have the X team added to the zones allowing that team to build in them.
But stopping people placing portals? It'd require changing the code (not sure how easy this would be) and editing all the maps which require them.

Even if it was implemented, people would still push the boundaries, and place the portals as close as they can.

To be honest, I wouldn't miss portals if they were removed, they don't add much nowadays.

Alkatraz

Reaction score
I suggest: Portals can only port you x blocks on ctf maps.
I think that it works well with no portals on CTF Maps.
CTF Waterfalls is probably the most defendable CTF Map at the moment, however a portal, even one that only transports you X blocks, could still take you from relative safety into flag room and back out again in seconds, which makes it a lot easier to get captures, and also ruins the map, as part of the idea of the map is that it is hard to capture, by making it really easy with a portal would diminish that.

daniel

Reaction score
I think that portals should be able to be placed in the teams half of the map only.
This would properly mean changing the map codes so it might not work

Alkatraz

Reaction score
I think that portals should be able to be placed in the teams half of the map only.
This would properly mean changing the map codes so it might not work
Yeah this would be quite a challenge to do unfortunately. But I like the idea, it's just quite difficult to do.
It would require a change to the map files, which stated which side belonged to each team, and then have the portal code refer to them if they existed.