[POLL] - Just testing the water with this

Would you be for or against a SMP 'restart' for the given reasons? [READ THREAD]

• Yes, i would be ok with the server resetting

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • No, i would not be ok with this

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • I would prefer to wait two months

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • other

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, just working over a few ideas in my head. Please read this through and try stay impartial before you make a decision.

SMP release was good, given the timeframe we had to set everything up, but not faultless. Alot of the gameplay meant some people got an unfair advantage, and we have since learnt many things that could of actually made SMP far more succesful from the start.

However, i know we're all sick and tired of new maps after the old SMP's, which is why im going to put this in a poll..

If you were given an interesting map and changes to fix faults originally found in the first SMP Beta, would you be happy with a 'reset' - (Inventories whiped, new world, chests whiped, etc.)

• Agree
Reactions: Notme and paceboys

paceboys

Reaction score
I do like this idea. but i personally think that waiting a bit would be better, as some of us have just started new projects, and the time to finish them would be awesome.
But, i dont think 2 months is really the 'right amount of time'. I think shorter, if anything, would be better... just give people a little incentive to play more and finish their projects. almost just like, saying "Server restarting in a month. You have that amount of time to finish what you are doing."
Just my opinion ^.^

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Please, do tell friends about this and voice (in a neutral matter) the idea on SMP + tell them about the poll, when its up. I wouldn't want anyone to miss the chance to vote on this poll .

AotsFTW

Reaction score
Would I be okay with this..?

The reason behind my decision is this: A lot of people have worked hard to achieve and acquire the items, like myself. To see it all go away would more than likely make me a bit hesitant about AGAIN starting on a new server. And by an unfair advantage, I don't suppose you refer to the boat of 293 diamonds, :3? Anyway, I do not want another server switch, and that is the reason behind my vote.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
I'd be fine with this, but mostly because I had a bad start (created my city right by spawn so it's grief-prone and such) :p Also, the thing about allowing time for projects is that players will start new projects in the time that is allotted for others to finish theirs.

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
A restart would be good since a lot of people are on the lower levels of society and city construction right now and people would be more sore about it later on when their epic creation has to be destroyed in a month stopping progress and people from going onto the server in general. I know that once people hear "we are keeping the server up for a month then deleting it" most people would bail on this server since they don't want to put in a month's work and have it deleted. I noticed that on Primordia on its last weeks i would find only 0-3 people on when i got on when it was a tad bit higher before the anouncement.Do it now before everyone gets attached to their epic creations so that they can at least continue from where they left off at the early beginning.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Mixed feelings, honestly. I'm one of the people that supposedly got an unfair start. Except, I did destroy all the diamonds that I got from the mountain, and while I did get about 5 stacks of iron from it, I currently have 12 stacks (after making bunches of stuff, multiple armor sets and like 10 iron doors). So really, the only advantage the mountain has actually given me was a lot of lapis, which is pretty invaluable. I'd kind of like to keep the things I've built, but at the same time I think we'd be better off without the mountains at all. I think a simple spawn, like primordia's port bastia, would be much better.

Maybe you can take some of the buildings on this smp and paste them together into a new spawn city for a reset server? I think I could vote for that, just empty the chests and let people use any open alchemy stands or enchanting tables.

You should also probably lay out some more general rules, honestly. I know it's a pain to have to overrule everything, but if people shouldn't have huge farms of animals, they need to know. It's common sense for some of us, but not all. And a lot of people are talking about mob spawners on smp currently. Apparently we forgot about when primordia had no mobs? I mean, if you block off a mob spawner in a dungeon, that's one thing, but if we're talking forcing mob spawns over a large area into a small space, this is bad for the server.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
We probably should address points such as huge animal farms or mob spawners. The server does have a set limit to how many animals/monsters can spawn. If a person has a farm with some 50 animals, it kills the spawn rates all elsewhere. :/

Fatalis

Reaction score
We probably should address points such as huge animal farms or mob spawners. The server does have a set limit to how many animals/monsters can spawn. If a person has a farm with some 50 animals, it kills the spawn rates all elsewhere. :/
Agree. I've found 2 sheep since I've been playing.

MetalGearSolis

That kid with the avatar
Reaction score
I actually would prefer a reset. I always like to "experiment" with new maps and try to look for NPC Villages or Mushroom Biomes. Also 1/8th of the worlds diamonds have been found already so their hard to find. My vote is..... Reset, and Start New Map. Maybe add a little spawn tower (http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/spawn-tower-685253/) and some hidden chests (some rare items like maybe a couple of diamond/iron/gold or an animal spawn egg and XP Potions)

Tarno

Reaction score
I ain't a builder, so getting a brilliant base was a best achievement ever, all i did was raid and pvp, and now as I start to realize, that it's all slowly draining away. Make's me pissed :S anyways, I vote against the restart. I find no advantages over others, since i love a bit of challenge :) Making a new base and finding the materials doesn't seem as the best way of spending time in smp for me. cheers

• Agree
Reactions: NamelessHero

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I don't mind a restart, too be honest I actually want a restart.

• Agree
Reactions: torty

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I feel a restart is in good order. Spent a good a amount of time away from spawn, building a village I knew would never last, and barely did any underground work or explored...
I feel a restart would refresh the server, giving more "order" as the rules have officially been carved out (I hope!) And that we will all be on even footing once again after the diamond incident.
Yes, though many projects are underway, a restart seems the best order of business, possibly bringing in more people from the community and a new world to explore would seem perfect.
Anything you choose though seems a good decision however. Good luck to whatever you decide upon.

Super_Koray

Reaction score
Before reading this thread i was all against it, but i think i would be in for a new map and new envirement but, i can understand people wich would vote against it becuase they already started building big projects and stuff. anyways, i'm in :cool:

NamelessHero

Reaction score
I voted against not because I have a big project going on, or because I am sitting on tons of stuff I don't want to lose. I voted against because it would take 2 weeks for the new server to catch up, and I will have no valuable target to kill. I like it as it is, challenging and hard. Plus all the time I spent scouting the map and writing coords on a sheet of paper is going to waste.

I disagree that people couldn't build their cities due to PvPing... my group was the biggest kill on sight rouge group, and we did not prevent anyone from building(or mining), and the few other mercs either got banned for constant harass or stopped because they were warned for constant harass.

Oh and there will probably be a week of undeclared peace, since the most people will have in the beginning is iron armor... and some won't even go as deep as diamonds.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: Tarno and Notme