OH LOOK! here comes the new guy with a server idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeisl33t

Reaction score
Alright. First allow me to start out by saying this is most likely a new idea.
(I have searched and found nothing too related)

Server: Risky Race (classic server)

Main objective: Reach the end of the course faster than others

Gameplay: Players start out in a room of bedrock. (*note* all obstacle paths will be bedrock and un-griefable*) A small main path opens as a timer ticks down from 5. Players run down the path and are now faced with two passages titled "RISK" or "SAFE". Players who choose the "RISK" path will be faced with easy obstacles at first such as a few 2x1 jumps. If players fall off of the obstacle path they will be warped to the start, hence the usage of the word "RISK". Players who choose the "SAFE" path will be faced with a slightly longer more tedious path without any chance of being warped back to the start. As a player completes the first "RISK" and the first "SAFE" path they will appear in another section which funnels the two together creating another section similar to the start of the course. As players progress through the course the "RISK" sections will become increasingly harder and the "SAFE" sections will become increasingly longer. Players will have to make their way through the map deciding whether to risk a shortcut to gain the lead or to wimp out to take the safe route. Each final "RISK" and "SAFE" path will funnel into one path once again and will lead to a finish line of some sort. Once the fastest 3 players reach the end of the course, the game ends.

Prizes: Win cookies to buy ranks/player name colors AND/OR Leaderboards

Other Ideas: Trails can also branch into 3 being "VERY RISKY" "RISK" and "SAFE" etc.

I'm not quite the map builder but I felt the need to share this idea first to see some feedback.:oops:

If anything is unclear or if i should re-word something please let me know so I can clarify.

Well, feedback?

C

Ciphered

Idea: Holy hell, you are awesome.

The problem: The usual "servers are expensive and difficult to staff" schpeal.

That's what you're getting from me, and higher-ups would most likely say the same.

I will say this: If it did get accepted (New ideas usually don't), I'll make a map.

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
In the early days of lava, we had plans on making many lengthy map (in terms of length:width) and for the most part, a few of us got around 3 or 4 maps where it's run from 1 point to another point while avoiding obstacles and under constant pressure of impending doom.

I may have the maps, but I'm sure Pick and some other members (catgirl?) might remember (it had very brief development time).

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
Alright, here's my impressions.

I like the idea. Really. I do. It does sound like it would be fun to play.

Here's the problem. Actually, there's a couple. I'll start with the one that's unavoidable: I can't see us funneling time, money, and staff into this to make it work, and expect a decent payoff. There are already elements of this in both the Zombie and the TNT servers, mostly the former. A lot of the Minecraft parkour/racing as described here can be seen happening spontaneously in the Zombie server, and is often encouraged or even enforced by the map itself.

Furthermore, there's another big problem with this: a race between players on different paths might be nice, but what happens when it takes several minutes just to get past the first jump, due to everyone pushing each other and penning themselves in? This is Minecraft, and players have mass; if two people try and cross the same obstacle at the same time, someone's not gonna make it. Worse, the decision of who makes it is decided by sheer luck more often than skill, and the #1 way to make a gamer angry is to make them lose (or die, in some games) due to forces beyond their control that can strike at any time. It's possible this could be eliminated with a plugin or something of the sort, but the first point still stands tall.

So: good idea and good presentation, but I don't see this happening. Thanks for actually taking the time to think this idea out and make sure it hasn't already been formally presented before posting! :)

Reactions: DarthLego5679

mikeisl33t

Reaction score
Alright, here's my impressions.

I like the idea. Really. I do. It does sound like it would be fun to play.

Here's the problem. Actually, there's a couple. I'll start with the one that's unavoidable: I can't see us funneling time, money, and staff into this to make it work, and expect a decent payoff. There are already elements of this in both the Zombie and the TNT servers, mostly the former. A lot of the Minecraft parkour/racing as described here can be seen happening spontaneously in the Zombie server, and is often encouraged or even enforced by the map itself.

Furthermore, there's another big problem with this: a race between players on different paths might be nice, but what happens when it takes several minutes just to get past the first jump, due to everyone pushing each other and penning themselves in? This is Minecraft, and players have mass; if two people try and cross the same obstacle at the same time, someone's not gonna make it. Worse, the decision of who makes it is decided by sheer luck more often than skill, and the #1 way to make a gamer angry is to make them lose (or die, in some games) due to forces beyond their control that can strike at any time. It's possible this could be eliminated with a plugin or something of the sort, but the first point still stands tall.

So: good idea and good presentation, but I don't see this happening. Thanks for actually taking the time to think this idea out and make sure it hasn't already been formally presented before posting! :)
Thanks for the feedback. Now without the new server being created I would be ecstatic to see a premature version of this, be it a single map to test or something of the sort. Although this would not be of high priority what-so-ever and would be strictly based on anyone interested in contributing. Idk. From what you said it sounds like it has potential.... Even if this was integrated into a new zombies map I still think it could work with a few tweaks.

Summer10

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Now without the new server being created I would be ecstatic to see a premature version of this, be it a single map to test or something of the sort. Although this would not be of high priority what-so-ever and would be strictly based on anyone interested in contributing. Idk. From what you said it sounds like it has potential.... Even if this was integrated into a new zombies map I still think it could work with a few tweaks.
We had a map like this called grandprix, it caused many of the players to want to always play that one map, none of the others. The most of the players also really wanted to get the award associated to going through it in a certain time, I am guilty of trying to excessively also, my fear is that this will be the fate of the one map that you are talking about.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I really like the Idea, I was pleasantly surprised that someone had the same thought as I did.
Furthermore, there's another big problem with this: a race between players on different paths might be nice, but what happens when it takes several minutes just to get past the first jump, due to everyone pushing each other and penning themselves in? This is Minecraft, and players have mass; if two people try and cross the same obstacle at the same time, someone's not gonna make it. Worse, the decision of who makes it is decided by sheer luck more often than skill, and the #1 way to make a gamer angry is to make them lose (or die, in some games) due to forces beyond their control that can strike at any time.
This is still a huge problem, though, and I'm not sure about money (Considering the incredible speed of donation fillings) nor do I know much of the staffing problem (Considering Deadl0ck's post when we were seriously considering Capture The Flag) but I really do like this idea.

Deadl0ck

Lord of the Rage
Reaction score
Idea is good.

Problem is, we'd have to modify / completely rewrite server software to have features specific to this game mode.

We'd have to make an entire new set of maps.

We are lacking staff. Still. Again. As always.

But man, I like the idea! This is one of the best server idea's I've seen.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Idea is good.

Problem is, we'd have to modify / completely rewrite server software to have features specific to this game mode.

We'd have to make an entire new set of maps.

We are lacking staff. Still. Again. As always.

But man, I like the idea! This is one of the best server idea's I've seen.
To what you said, I doubt It's that you're lacking staff (Not hard to get staff); But more or less that you're lacking Mature and respectable users that can handle such a position. :running:

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
I could easily throw together a classic server for this if required - Players could be timed and hit a special block/area at the end to get a score/points/best map times, obligitory lava pool to kill those to fall.

It would also make a good plugin to add onto an existing server... Or a 'special' lava map, since the death mechanics are already there and can just throw lava across a floor. Could even use tubes to keep the lava moving up and keep the players moving...

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I could easily throw together a classic server for this if required - Players could be timed and hit a special block/area at the end to get a score/points/best map times, obligitory lava pool to kill those to fall.

It would also make a good plugin to add onto an existing server... Or a 'special' lava map, since the death mechanics are already there and can just throw lava across a floor. Could even use tubes to keep the lava moving up and keep the players moving...
That's more like it :D

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I actually like the idea and see a huge potential for this type of server. I remember playing a race game on classic and it was quite fun. And Dead I 'm sure that there at least some current and mature non-staff who would like to help out.

Reactions: Friendy

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
I would most likely play this, even through my love to Zombie.
Sounds like a awesome idea for a server, and the community itself.
I think It could give us 'profit' :)

Illusionist

The Neighbourhood <3
Reaction score
It would be a great idea to add this server for the community.
If this is going to work out how about we name the server
[Blocktopia] Racetrack Server or [Blocktopia] Race Server or something similar to that?

One one two

Per aspera ad astra
Donor
Reaction score
While I don't expect this idea to catch fire for reasons already stated, I would be willing to volunteer to staff. Temporarily (as long as needed), while said server starts to get going.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
While I don't expect this idea to catch fire for reasons already stated, I would be willing to volunteer to staff. Temporarily (as long as needed), while said server starts to get going.
I just hope they don't pick the other server staff just because they are staff; If this ever comes to light.

balloon98

The balloon that never pops
Reaction score
A couple things I have to say. I like the idea if we were going to test this we could maybe make a seperate world so we can test it with Ops and Trustworty people if we seriously start thinking about this for Staffing the reason they probably would be people who are staff right now is that so we can have at least SOME people moderating the server so sure some Op+ might volunteer to be Staff there but that is mainly for when it starts off. Money reasons doesn't seem to be TOO BIG of a concern since monthly donations usually fill up within the first couple days of the nw month so I think we could manage.

This is just my view with this overall I think this might have a slight chance of being a possibility and it is DEFINATELY the best suggestion so far

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
The thing with integrating this into other servers is the sudden compulsory aspect that the server now has.

When we integrated CTF into TNT Wars [and KOTH, mind you], lots of people wanted to only play CTF, because it was new and theoretically a far more improved version than other CTF servers out there. However at the same time many people wouldn't want to play these CTF maps as they derail too much from the original concept: kill and get points. Admittedly i'm on the former side, but thats besides the point.

Adding this concept to lava in the race against the timer [which is lava], many people would want to do just that, and race. But other people don't want to do that: They just want to build a house, and have fun. These race rounds would force them to run, something they very likely don't appreciate.

When you come up with these ideas [Race, CTF, etc], they're always best to have an individual server. I suppose CTF managed to fit in with TNT's scheme somewhat, but race with lava survival and building doesn't really work out.

However, on the bright side, you could always make a map on lava survival where there is one side you can build on, and then a race track which opens up after the lava starts flowing. After about a minute the entrance is blocked off by lava and it becomes a timed race: Get to the end to win a prize and get teleported back to the spawn/a safe zone/a secret area to build in

balloon98

The balloon that never pops
Reaction score
Raz I think when we mean TEST on a server we mean as in it wont stay with that server it would just be a test to see if people would like it or if its good enough then we could decide to maybe make it into a new server not that it stays with that server like how CTF is now.

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
To what you said, I doubt It's that you're lacking staff (Not hard to get staff); But more or less that you're lacking Mature and respectable users that can handle such a position. :running:
First part is false, second part is true. The reason being that "mature and respectable users that can handle such a position" are what we require our staff to be. I'm really not sure why you'd think those things wouldn't be requirements for a staff position.

Status
Not open for further replies.