next smp

parquette

Reaction score
SMP's are awesome, but the settings are getting a bit extreme. Let me explain.
For the past 2 servers we had, Clans have been kept under control by the database. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how much the database controls it. In DoD if people wanted to make clans, they had to buy clans and in order to keep it running, they had to pay a tax to the server. I think that clans should just be bought and no taxes involved.

SoulSoda

Soda for the Soul
Reaction score
I'd say yall don't have much to lose in opening a new SMP server.

For 2 reasons

I've been away from this community for along time, but from a outsiders perspective RoF is already pretty dead. Personally never liked it, not even in classic. The gamemode itself was not appealing to me as it required little ability... Not going to take away users from a server that never really has users.

AoD and Create has their core group thats still active. Opening a new smp server shouldn't really have an effect on AoD or Create, but it may help bring in a new influx of new users. That's the main issue i see here. There is no churn rate of users because there is hardly an influx of new users...

I'd bring back SMP but I rather see something akin to ole primordia a fantasy RPG setting

Could use LegendQuest as a backbone plugin
https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/legendquest-rpg.2120/
Highly customize-able rpg. dependent on spigot.
Can work with towny factions etc

Or we could do something more smp in a fallout/ walking dead world
Could use Crackshot as a backbone plugin
http://www.curse.com/bukkit-plugins/minecraft/crackshot
Another highly customize-able plugin that allows to easily add custom guns and make up recipes.
Then use this mod
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/cityworld/
For map generation to be lazy. It'll just make the world a giant endless cityscape.
~~ You can customize buildings too with world edit. Supports generation of 64x64 with unlimited height. (4 chunks)
Throw down some custom zombie spawners and were walking with the dead people!

If leaning towards a more heavily modded primordia smp style, I'd do a set map. (Happy to help make it too)
Either way i'd say we'd want something like this for ultimate retention of users

~Preset factions, with factions within factions. I mean having the ability to create factions is nice, but it can really divide people up and the next thing you know you have 20 factions with 2 people each that never really play. Common cause to unite people and keep them in the loop.
~Protected safe bases/areas for each faction. perhaps inaccessible islands removed from main continent.
~Pve area, mob arena where you can team up with friends and level up
~Open pvp wasteland with key strategic locations and spawning loot.

More importantly this would have to be driven by player events and good gms. Good events drives activity.

~Biweekly tournament type events that flipflop each weekend at peak times.
~~example: Tournament o Glory
~~5v5 2v2 and 1v1's where factions send out teams for glory.
~~Winners get unique items, bonuses for their factions and get their names etched down.
Then the other week there might be a PVE invasion(GM led) or some other kind of quest etc. Or mob arena contest etc.

Just a suggestion. Here to help though. I can certainly throw a large map together for this. Customize the plugins up a bit too.

Last edited:

SoulSoda

Soda for the Soul
Reaction score
I completely agree.

Which is why i'd favor making something more like primordia and having lots of content/events instead of vanilla-ish open ended same old smp. Think something like AoD with all the different gamemodes that you can go out and explore in an open world.

Its a niche thing, it'll last longer, but whether it takes on with people is another thing. Tough choice.

I mean vanilla its so done with. Minecraft has been around for so long and for old members its just not fun. Punch a tree, kill a cow, make an armor set, finish a base, slay a dragon, done.

Gotta add more to it than that, and give older members something to work on or towards. So levels, gear, faction claims, tournaments, GM- invasions, PVE, quests. It'll be tougher to get new players in on this, but if its well done, and explained more likely to stay once they get accustomed.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
tbh, I'd like to see an smp where players can flag themselves for pvp if they want, but be safe from pvp otherwise. Combine that with something that lets you designate areas as owned, so that when you enter owned areas that aren't yours you become flagged automatically and the owned area can have grief protection. I really think it'd take that little for a lot of people to have some fun for a while.

I'm kind of sad that kami's went away too soon. I had built so much there.

Reactions: Fragile

Fragile

Not Former Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.clubpenguin.com
tbh, I'd like to see an smp where players can flag themselves for pvp if they want, but be safe from pvp otherwise. Combine that with something that lets you designate areas as owned, so that when you enter owned areas that aren't yours you become flagged automatically and the owned area can have grief protection. I really think it'd take that little for a lot of people to have some fun for a while.
This is a really good idea for anyone who does or doesn't want PvP. If the owned land were almost like a plot system where you can add other people, I think it would work really well.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Kami was a mess the idea was good but not executed correctly. The map was way too big for only 4 preset factions and you had to walk 4k blocks to make it to your factions monument. The dungeon system was ignored with lack of rewards and lack of actually dungeons over the entire map. To be pvp based the factions were too far apart bases had no clear code of what was legal or not. There was too much work for the staff to manage the server as well as add new content. In short we should have a smaller map maybe around 1.5-3k blocks radius we need a system in place that is not so staff relent because staff can't be on 24/7 they have lives too. Rules should be clear cut and not vary from staff member to staff member. We should add early large dungeons something similar to the ones we had in jte that can be repeated for rewards and economy. Have an economy maybe buy rank ups with perks with in game money.

SoulSoda

Soda for the Soul
Reaction score
Kami was a mess the idea was good but not executed correctly. The map was way too big for only 4 preset factions and you had to walk 4k blocks to make it to your factions monument. The dungeon system was ignored with lack of rewards and lack of actually dungeons over the entire map. To be pvp based the factions were too far apart bases had no clear code of what was legal or not. There was too much work for the staff to manage the server as well as add new content. In short we should have a smaller map maybe around 1.5-3k blocks radius we need a system in place that is not so staff relent because staff can't be on 24/7 they have lives too. Rules should be clear cut and not vary from staff member to staff member. We should add early large dungeons something similar to the ones we had in jte that can be repeated for rewards and economy. Have an economy maybe buy rank ups with perks with in game money.
I'd say in regards to PVP, it doesn't sound like its a "must have" for most. Also, We already have AoD which is PVP, making a straight faction war isn't really serving a new purpose or opening a new access to a different playerbase. TTT does because its a whole different game and opens up different outlets for community. I'd say the majority of comments here are looking for more PvE combat elements which would be something this community lacks. I wouldn't entirely rule out PvP, but I'd limit it to a wasteland area, where even then it should be a "rare" occurrence. It would be more or less something on the back of your mind as your exploring and looking for loot with friends. You didn't go to the wasteland to specifically pvp (probably..) but to search for rare items. Of course you wouldn't let blue faction stop you from getting them ;).

Also, I sincerely doubt that the map size was the issue, it sounds more like a lack of content within the map. The server should be enjoyed solo or small parties as much as it is in groups. So quests and dungeons. Buying skills and upgrading your classes. Taking on mob arenas and challenge maps in parties etc. Thing is, its not easy to set all that up, and takes a lot of time. Also the risk of being held hostage by plugineers who rarely update their code because they have lives and don't serve you as a slave, so the content you make might fall behind current minecraft versions. (true shame there).

Then again, just inferring from comments, i never played kami so I can't say much about that.

I'm actually building a map right now(approx 5k radius). It could serve as an SMP/MMO type map, but I'm not specifically building it for that. I was going to treat it as a large expansive adventure type map. The goal is that its completely playable solo. Which from your response, sounds like that is what was missing.

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
I would actually say the new SMP should go in the opposite direction. If there is a story, it should be an always in-development story being written by players.
1. Start a thread named 3 word minecraft story.
2. Let it evolve for a 2 or 3 weeks.
3. Use story as storyline for next smp
4. Profit $$$$ fun

Vrgin

Survival Staff
Reaction score
Alright so as everyone says SMP does not work well how about something different.
Before I start I know I am permabanned.
Anyways an SMP with Seasons or some version of that. Every 2 weeks SMP is restarted new world new town or small variations. Home Town competitions on Create. And winner of that week will be used in next SMP Reset. This will keep player base alive because it will stop the snowballing from one group or clan taking power and keeping power for next several months dwindling the player base to next to nothing. This will allow someone who did no succeed in one SMP to take greatness in the next. This will give the opportunity for rapid a new game play switching between PvE and PvP Seasons. Allowing people the best of both worlds and then having split seasons every 4 seasons where the season lasts 2 weeks or double the normal season time and there is both PvP and PvE sections.
Just a quick 2 minute thought maybe awful idea maybe half decent let me know what you think.
Also when did this community come so consumed by player base? Isn't everyone here to have fun? If you make something fun the player base will come but dont say we wont try that no one likes that everyone likes different things, that's why sometimes you need to go out on a limb and make something completely out of the ordinary.
Peace out,
From 1 Vrgin to another Virgin

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
We would need an active player to be in charge of knowing what all the clans/factions are doing and write a story about it. Someone like raxo2222 who has in the past tracked clan player counts and other things very effectively. Not a huge fan of roleplay but wouldn't mind if it was more roleplay oriented.
EDIT:
Alright so as everyone says SMP does not work well how about something different.
Anyways an SMP with Seasons or some version of that. Every 2 weeks SMP is restarted new world new town or small variations. Home Town competitions on Create. And winner of that week will be used in next SMP Reset. This will keep player base alive because it will stop the snowballing from one group or clan taking power and keeping power for next several months dwindling the player base to next to nothing. This will allow someone who did no succeed in one SMP to take greatness in the next. This will give the opportunity for rapid a new game play switching between PvE and PvP Seasons. Allowing people the best of both worlds and then having split seasons every 4 seasons where the season lasts 2 weeks or double the normal season time and there is both PvP and PvE sections.
Just a quick 2 minute thought maybe awful idea maybe half decent let me know what you think.
Also when did this community come so consumed by player base? Isn't everyone here to have fun? If you make something fun the player base will come but dont say we wont try that no one likes that everyone likes different things, that's why sometimes you need to go out on a limb and make something completely out of the ordinary.
Peace out,
I think that there is a point here we should have a tax system to tax clans that get a large lead because it causes people to all join that clan and there is nothing to do because everything is done for them.

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Peace out,
How about instead of every 2 week, maybe have it be (minimum) every month... or three...
I mean, I'm kind of ok with new world and towns... maybe (except, you know... starting fresh this frequently wouldn't go well for me).
But every two weeks... I'm sorry, but that's kind of like suggesting we all move IRL every two weeks; some of us might be able to deal with it but not have a life elsewhere, and the rest will just back away repeatedly muttering "no, no, no, forget it, I'm staying put".

I think if we do go with this idea, it will be best to only change the map maybe once every 1-3 months, depending on circumstances.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
How about instead of every 2 week, maybe have it be (minimum) every month... or three...
I mean, I'm kind of ok with new world and towns... maybe (except, you know... starting fresh this frequently wouldn't go well for me).
But every two weeks... I'm sorry, but that's kind of like suggesting we all move IRL every two weeks; some of us might be able to deal with it but not have a life elsewhere, and the rest will just back away repeatedly muttering "no, no, no, forget it, I'm staying put".

I think if we do go with this idea, it will be best to only change the map maybe once every 1-3 months, depending on circumstances.
I mean if we have this sort of time limit there is lack of incentive to make really nice cities if they will just get reset. We should make the reset time longer 4+ months but find a way to give everyone something to do or make the smp harder to reach that max stage where there is nothing to do.

SoulSoda

Soda for the Soul
Reaction score
content > artificial resets. People wanna build legacies. Imposing resets is not an incentive to play more, more of a why did i even bother playing. Just ensure that there are hours of fun replayable solo content for solo/teams of players.

Lore/story isn't hard. Creating stories and play by play is something a server head in charge can do if nessacry. It'll come to be more about the actual content. Getting the builders/plugineers together. Making something that'll last.

Last edited:

Vrgin

Survival Staff
Reaction score

Yes I agree it should be longer I just put a time in there for like a placeholder I know people would comment on the time and so on and maybe come to a time we would find fit.
content > artificial resets. People wanna build legacies. Imposing resets is not an incentive to play more, more of a why did i even bother playing. Just ensure that there are hours of fun replayable solo content for solo/teams of players.

Lore/story isn't hard. Creating stories and play by play is something a server head in charge can do if nessacry. It'll come to be more about the actual content. Getting the builders/plugineers together. Making something that'll last.
I agree it was fun building monstrous towns and huge villages and becoming Total rich but maybe this would work for another server or maybe what I suggested could be another server but something like Solitude or have 2 smp's running to test out which one people have more fun with then ultimately choose which way to run it.

I do not think it is a waste of time nor money to have another SMP, Because this is a gaming community and even if a handfull of people are enjoying the game then launch the server. If we are not willing to cater to the wants of our community why run minecraft servers at all and not just link to servers that have smp and we can just go start an escape restart clan there or something.

Peace out from one Vrgin to another virgin

Reaction score
I was thinking of like maybe a monthly event where clans will have to prepare for a huge PvP fight in like a arena and then followed by a restart. This will then serve as a drive for players to prepare for the fight?

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
I would take vrgin's idea of making new cities each month or so, except instead of a new map every time you just move the world boundary so that the world expands as we go. This gives people new places to explore, and we can put the new city in a different spot where things of importance will be going on, keeping the old cities so there's incentive to make them nice still. Also gives us good space to put new dungeons/event stuff, and since nobody can go there before the boundary moves you can put that stuff in before moving the boundary so the world is ready when you do move it (smoother transition, less downtime, etc).

Doing it that way, you can start with a map that is maybe 2k blocks across (i'd do it with a square area to start probably), so that it feels small and cozy for people to fight over and build on in the beginning. It'll also mean less space you need to fill with premade stuff like dungeons.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd possible suggest approaching this from a new angle. There seems to be an agreement that a large amount of 'high-maintenance content' (New cities, Lore writers, Monthly events.

Which to me seems to ignore that in the past high-maintenance content tends to fall apart because it's, well... it's high maintenance?

A typical look at nearly every SMP hosted shows that most players undergo the same routine

- Make a base
- Make a bigger base
- Collect diamonds
- Grind XP,
- Create dank enchanted gear.
- Massacre/Rape/Pillage
- Get bored, quit. (Or if they haven't got to this step, quit because they're being massacred/raped/pillaged).

Vanilla SMP doesn't really lend itself to sustainable gameplay, and high-maintenance SMP (read: lore, built content, events) whilst fun tends to be reliant on a very active cohort of staff which tends to always be a weakspot. A good SMP shouldn't encounter any of the above problems, nor should it rely on the active production of content by anyone other than the players.

I would (personally) look at why an SMP needs to be reset after 3 months, and then, work at balancing out these issues so that it doesn't need to be reset (this is sadly where I fall short on answers) without active staff involvement. Achieve this and you'll have at the very least a solid foundation to build SMP off of. The players will neither have to fear constant resets or inactive staff nullifying their enjoyment.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
No SMP will last forever, it never has and it never will.

So with that at least I think that an SMP which is active for 3-6 months would be very succesfull, but then we need to give people something to do there.

Our best shot would be a server similar to JtE. Where they have something to do, and it is different types of things to do, where someone wants to build and apply for villages and cities, some wants to level up their skills (for an example mcMMO) and also have some trading with emeralds. None of these are extremely staff heavy, villages needs some folllow up, but can essentially be done by one guy, mcMMO, or something similar, needs to be set up, and a guy that can help balance it every now and then, just maintance it, and then a third guy, for emerald trading, setting up is quite a job, and balance it, but its not something massive, with some weekly event for special offers he will hae something to do, but again, not too much. Last of all you would need the general staff of the server, but that is of course needed for any server.

The sum up above shows that you need some staff, but not a massive amount, and they do not need to spend 24/7 on the server either, none of the jobs are extremely work heavy.