New op air block (like op lair but no respawning)

Nato-Potato

The man in green
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Basically a new type of op air block which acts exactly like op lair, except for the respawning.
This would be used to make "no build" areas without making the areas lava proof or respawning players.
Now in game this would have few uses, but for map makers this would be a good tool to use for things like obstacle courses or mazes.

If this block is implemented map makers could make a new type of map, where instead of building shelters players have to escape from the lava, being unable to build until they reach the end or safe point.
The maps would be voted for like any other map and would add a new type of gameplay to the server without any modification to the server other than the new air block.

Obviously it would take a while to get a new maps designed correctly (eg having the map set so it takes around 30 mins for the lava to fill it up etc) but I think this would be a good addition to the game.

Thoughts?

Brando212

Reaction score
i believe OP+ can already do this

for example when i was playing yesterday (i think it was yesterday) WinX64 did this to create a special lava timer in the secret of one of the beach maps

it wasn't a safe-zone and didn't respawn me but it gave me the message "you can not build here"

gettinthere

Reaction score
As I said before there's not much for it in game, but it would be cool for map makers to use.
If we had the server software to make maps.
Just for mapmaking, which means dest or List would need to rewrite a build that doesn't have the features of gameplay, but it has features for maps.

Hell, this could start up for a new type of gameplay, or getting people to move.

Nato-Potato

The man in green
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Many of the maps have op lair around the lava source by default, how did that get there?
They must have a way of editing maps with special blocks already, so basically the map would be edited after submission.
Pretty sure the replace command can be set to an area like cuboid, so air would be replaced with the nobuild air in the areas needed.

Brando212

Reaction score
Many of the maps have op lair around the lava source by default, how did that get there?
They must have a way of editing maps with special blocks already, so basically the map would be edited after submission.
Pretty sure the replace command can be set to an area like cuboid, so air would be replaced with the nobuild air in the areas needed.
whoever adds the map to the server list when it gets accepted adds the OP_Lair around the lava source and sets the lava to work with the timer

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
If you want a new block type, you'll have to nominate a block type that you'll lose. I'm pretty sure op_cobblestone in Lawl, is Op_Lair in Lava.

Adding new blocks from scratch would make importing user levels fraught with danger, or risk corruping the level entirely.

Nato-Potato

The man in green
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So the current ones are blocks that previously existed in lawl and were edited and renamed? hmm
Trying to think of blocks we never use.

Does anyone ever use op_glass much?
what about blocks that are basically just for cool affects like fireworks or door?
I dont know how the special blocks work or whether they would be suitable as a block to replace.

Edit: didnt even know there was an opsidian XD

Nato-Potato

The man in green
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ah yeah some of the maps have op_glass :/

Oh, almost forgot.
Even if this new air block was added players would still be able to build in the lava.
So there would also need to be a new lava block, exactly like active lava but players wouldnt be able to build in it.
Well, it's not as important as the air but it would be nice I guess.

ColorWar

Reaction score
This could also be useful for deflooding areas around spawn, i guess. For example the map "Graveyard" after a few minutes players have trouble getting out of spawn. Sponges work temporarily, but you'll occassionally come back, and realise all the sponges are gone again :)

cazzar

Reaction score
If you want a new block type, you'll have to nominate a block type that you'll lose. I'm pretty sure op_cobblestone in Lawl, is Op_Lair in Lava.

Adding new blocks from scratch would make importing user levels fraught with danger, or risk corruping the level entirely.
This is just from my Developing experience of MCForge, but we have added new blocks to the software recently and we have not had a problem with level loading/saving not working/corrupting of the map, thus I am saying, it is safe to add more blocks into the software without worries about the level, you just don't want to touch the way it is saved. By the way LISTINGS09 a little message from EricKilla wants you to migrate to MCForge :/

Nato-Potato

The man in green
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This could also be useful for deflooding areas around spawn, i guess. For example the map "Graveyard" after a few minutes players have trouble getting out of spawn. Sponges work temporarily, but you'll occassionally come back, and realise all the sponges are gone again :)
umm, lava would be able to flow through the new air block so I dont see how it would be useful unflooding.
I just use op_air under the graveyard spawn