New Forums Suggestions

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Not sure how much is going to change over the next few days but I believe there are some issues of functionality with the theme switching over

NOTE: It may be that these are all currently being changed as I write this. It may be that I've posted this far, far too early and that I was too impatient on this. But at the very least, I would have this brought to attention, on the chance that they are not change - after all, a thread can't hurt

a.) will be what it used to be
b.) will be what it is now
c.) will be a suggestion on how to make it better

1.) Stickied Threads
a.) On the old forums, stickied threads would get there own section with a dark and distinct backdrop behind the title
b.) Now they are indistinguishable from other threads save for the small thumbtack to the right
c.) Return everything in a

2.) "Marked as Read"
a.) Threads and subforums that were read were blatantly obvious because they were bolded and unbolded with the icon at the left changing from a dulled out dirt block to a fully colored dirt block
b.) The icon now changes between Green - Purple (this may be possible to just memorize, but maybe there are stronger alternatives) and threads are all bolded, so there is no difference if something is marked as read save for an extremely small blue bulletin point to the left of individual threads
c.) Make thread names unbolded so that the ones unread can be bolded. The bubble doesn't matter so long as that functionality returns. The icon could change from gray to any color or something very obvious like red to green (stop and go) rather than two ambiguous colors

3.) Alerts
a.) Alerts used to have a red number to indicate how many notifications you had and to "alert" you to them
b.) The alerts now become gold in their backdrop and have an asterik to indicate that you have notifications, but not how many
c.) Give a red number indicator instead of a gold asterik

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: froyd and JtTorso

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
3.) Alerts
a.) Alerts used to have a red number to indicate how many notifications you had and to "alert" you to them
b.) The alerts now become gold in their backdrop and have an asterik to indicate that you have notifications, but not how many
c.) Give a red number indicator instead of a gold asterik
wanted to bring up this one. something distinct like green or blue would be nice for alerts/inboxes; something that stands out (like the red on blue of he old forums)

• Agree
Reactions: Velzerat

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
wanted to bring up this one. something distinct like green or blue would be nice for alerts/inboxes; something that stands out (like the red on blue of he old forums)
The gold color is ok but I agree with you. Just making that section of the pink bar gold isn't as effective as the red-blue contrast we had beforehand

JtTorso

Reaction score
Are stickied threads red? Can it be changed to something not red? Maybe blue or yellow or a darker shade?

*Edit: Red does not indicate a stickied thread. I couldn't figure out what the red highlight was until I read this thread.

Last edited:

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I noticed a few little things:

1: Is it possible to re-add the link to the wiki on the top menu banner?

2: Possibility of making the /spoilers a bit smaller? Right now they stick out way more than they use to with the old forums.

3: In the submenu where the text says "Mark Forums Read", "Search Forums", "Watched Forum", ect. Make the text still readable when you hover over it.

Reactions: Hunter

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Are stickied threads red? Can it be changed to something not red? Maybe blue or yellow or a darker shade?

*Edit: Red does not indicate a stickied thread. I couldn't figure out what the red highlight was until I read this thread.
Why doesn't it indicate? I could see why stickied would be red words
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and imo I would push for a darker blue backdrop, just slightly darker, but that may be more an opinion

JtTorso

Reaction score
Why doesn't it indicate? I could see why stickied would be red words
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and imo I would push for a darker blue backdrop, just slightly darker, but that may be more an opinion
It doesn't look like a stickied thread, it looks more like a warning, red tends to convey danger or anger. It gets my attention but it doesn't tell me it's a stickied thread and I think it might give people the wrong idea. Also considering stickied threads are almost always informational it's a bit unfitting.

Changes have since been made and they're better and I can definitely live with them. Also JayFeather's suggestion would be ideal.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
It doesn't look like a stickied thread, it looks more like a warning, red tends to convey danger or anger. It gets my attention but it doesn't tell me it's a stickied thread and I think it might give people the wrong idea. Also considering stickied threads are almost always informational it's a bit unfitting.

Changes have since been made and they're better and I can definitely live with them. Also JayFeather's suggestion would be ideal.
how would you be in danger on a forum website

edit: here's maybe a good reason for it to be red --> When you have rules on ban appeals or staff applications in subforums you can draw attention much easier to extremely important guidelines. You're also in "danger" of fucking up the entire process if you don't follow them

Reactions: Hunter

JtTorso

Reaction score
how would you be in danger on a forum website

edit: here's maybe a good reason for it to be red --> When you have rules on ban appeals or staff applications in subforums you can draw attention much easier to extremely important guidelines. You're also in "danger" of fucking up the entire process if you don't follow them
I didn't invent colour theory, I just know how it works. It fits for ban appeals, but in the past we have a giant banner that tells people how it works, doesn't make a lot of sense to be looking up information regarding our TS but the stickied thread is a giant wall of red.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
custom forum titles would be hella rad

also noticed the new staff title things, nice.

if someone could rename the Hunter27a1 account on the wiki so I can actually use it as hunter that would be nice
wiki autologins with forum username, not member id

JtTorso

Reaction score
Reactions: Jayfeather

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
1.) Stickied Threads
2.) "Marked as Read"
1: Is it possible to re-add the link to the wiki on the top menu banner?
3: In the submenu where the text says "Mark Forums Read", "Search Forums", "Watched Forum", ect. Make the text still readable when you hover over it.
Oh could you possibly place the New Post section that is in the sidebar, in between the New Profile Posts and Teamspeak.
Done all of the above, still working on:

3.) Alerts
2: Possibility of making the /spoilers a bit smaller? Right now they stick out way more than they use to with the old forums.

• Thank You
Reactions: CloudBryan9