New camping punishment

chris360kss

Titless
Reaction score
Hey guys, while I have been playing AoD it has been anoythat in the last few minutes of the round Anti-Camping kicks in. This is really annoying because sometimes you dont have an 8 block space to move around in and the fire never goes out except with water which and get hunters easy wins.

So my suggestion is instead of a lightning bolt maybe give out the servivors EXACT location this would mean It would be up the the hunters to kill the survivors and not stupid fire.

-chris

Airkid

Reaction score
I really like this idea, but wouldn't half of the server go after a human if it showed their exact location? That would be kind of annoying if you had more than 10 people going after you, and if you killed all of them, they would just come back and you would probably have 5 hearts remaining.

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
This wouldn't work in those cases where they camp on a platform at the top of a jumpcourse *coughs* Airkid.

In this cases, everybody KNOWS where the human is at, it's just getting at them that's the trouble. Trust me, it's no fun to go around in a cycle of walk to jumpcourse, walk up it, get knocked off, thereby falling and dying, rinse and repeat, especially when there's a kit cooldown.

I personally find it a nice bit of evening the playing field. Usually there is no chance of me getting the humans, but sometimes anti-camp does it for me.

(Mind you, this is coming from a PvP n00b who also is someone who will randomly go /kill if the Hunters are being batted around like beach balls, and who personally loves anti-camp because it keeps pro players from camping a jumpcourse and screwing the game up for everyone. In other words, I'm not that worried about being Human at round's end, and an impossible battle is never fun. So, take this with a grain of salt)

• Haha
Reactions: chris360kss

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
What did you expect?
The hunters have a damage multiplier, They're bound to get a hit somehow.
I'm gonna camp as much as the system allows it and I'll just admit it; btw coughing at an example is a pretty stupid thing to do. That's like coughing when the teacher says "Who didn't do their homework?"

Being set on fire is really anoying, I know you want to punish us but you might aswell shock, barrage, slap, rocket and slay me. The fire is just a slow death unless you manage to get to a water pool, if it rains or happen to have a bucket of water with you.

• Agree
Reactions: Defiant_Blob

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
AntiCamp was created in answer to a bukkit bug that meant a player staying in one chunk for a time would become invulnerable. You had to die, this is why such a feature exists.

The other damage methods all do area damage which have the potential to harm or kill anyone nearby, so were not a practical choice.

Both Hunters and Survivors have the same damage attack damage, the exception being that Hunters must take more than a certain value to actually 'take' damage, otherwise you'll see the 'Deflected your attack' message.

In the latest update Anticamp range can be changed (e.g. set to 1, to stop those hiding in 1x2) or removed entirely.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
In the latest update Anticamp range can be changed (e.g. set to 1, to stop those hiding in 1x2) or removed entirely.
Is it possible to write something to detect if a player is in a closed space? Then you could have player to move 4 blocks to make sure they are in a correct amount of space. Also, could anti-camp have death be something else? As it's ineffective if player makes a bucket.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Is it possible to write something to detect if a player is in a closed space? Then you could have player to move 4 blocks to make sure they are in a correct amount of space. Also, could anti-camp have death be something else? As it's ineffective if player makes a bucket.
I just want it to not kill you, possibly take you down 6 hearts as a warning, then kill you.

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
A closed space indicates a light level < 15. Because they won't be getting sunlight.
Might make the checking a little less intensive.

But thats also what OPs are there for. ;S

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
This wouldn't work in those cases where they camp on a platform at the top of a jumpcourse *coughs* Airkid.

In this cases, everybody KNOWS where the human is at, it's just getting at them that's the trouble. Trust me, it's no fun to go around in a cycle of walk to jumpcourse, walk up it, get knocked off, thereby falling and dying, rinse and repeat, especially when there's a kit cooldown.
Pretty much this x1000. Stairways to heaven were already entirely obnoxious, and they've gotten even worse thanks to the higher map limit.

Tbh, I think it'd be a fair trade off to remove anti camp below layer 96 of the map and enforce it every 30 sec at layer 96+.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Pretty much this x1000. Stairways to heaven were already entirely obnoxious, and they've gotten even worse thanks to the higher map limit.

Tbh, I think it'd be a fair trade off to remove anti camp below layer 96 of the map and enforce it every 30 sec at layer 96+.
Players could then easily make their little hideouts underground. Also, just stop building at 96, simple. Just go horizontal from there.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Players could then easily make their little hideouts underground. Also, just stop building at 96, simple. Just go horizontal from there.
Underground hideouts generally don't involve falling to one's death on the way there, and /locate is pretty accurate underground on most maps now. Also, having to dig to someone doesn't give them as much of an advantage as a platform at the end of a ridiculous stairway.

Most of the effort of getting to a platform is going up. Lower platforms aren't such a problem, since a bow can reach them. The real issue is wasting 3 mins going up to either miss a jump or be knocked off by someone who had the position to get a running start at you (or get knocked off by your fellow hunters, who are also frustrated). You then get to try again, wasting another 3 mins. These rounds are only 10 mins, remember? Generally, the first guy won't (and shouldn't) go after these towers, which means he's already spending time getting other people. Obviously, we want to avoid situations where a hunter can die and be back at the same guy trying to kill him within 30 seconds, but we also shouldn't have situations where hunters only ever get 1 real chance at killing anyone. The death penalty for falling from these stairs seems a little too much.

Also, I chose the number 96 arbitrarily, assuming that there would be a lot of layers of dirt. Some maps have almost none, being started from superflat, so the idea is obviously flawed. My point remains, though, that players generally don't need help surviving on most of the maps, and that we do need systems like anti-camp. They're good for discouraging behaviour that otherwise makes things too easy. I don't think I'd play at all if there weren't some challenge to it, and it's especially challenging with some of the players we currently have. If anything, I vote for making anti-camp more harsh.