Most important thing in a game?

What do you think make a game good?

• Total voters

Amorix

Reaction score
Now, I imagine that, seeing as how we all play Minceraft, we're all gonna at least say that gameplay is ONE of the most important parts, but I like hearing people's takes on this, so I'll make it anyway.
What do you think is necessary in a game in order for it to be good.
For me, it lies solely around whether or not the gameplay is good. Everything else can be forgiven as long as the gameplay isn't bad.
For example, Minceraft literally has no plot and has blocks for graphics, but the gameplay is good, so none of that matters.
Also, Bacon.
I mean, come on. It's bacon. :D

• Agree
Reactions: balloon98

balloon98

The balloon that never pops
Reaction score
I am having a hard time choosing between gameplay and bacon :(
WHY NOT CHOOSE BOTH!

Also if anyone puts graphics then wow since we all play a game criticized for terrible graphics

Anyway I actually want good music and gameplay along with a great story. Music isnt much needed but it's always great to hear good songs while either skating around or shooting people or even exploring. The gameplay is a really big factor because if I find things like not being able to keep a weapon because it ran out of ammo bothers me since what happens if I get ammo later? Lastly I love great stories especially twists at the end or alternate endings. it keeps you on your toes and always keeps you playing which I love.

Chips

Reaction score
Hmm.. Probably Gameplay. Minecraft has blocks for graphics and it's still awesome! But if you see like a PS3 game with fancy graphics and awesome gameplay, you would at least expect a good plot.

ReyvnNova

"Come buy our orchard fruits, Come buy, come buy~"
Reaction score
Good game-play can make for a good game, but plot makes it memorable, so I'll go with story.

As a side note, music adds to the atmosphere and atmosphere to the game-play, so it's hard to pick any one.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I chose Gameplay, Story, Music, and Atmosphere.

First off, I've always loved a good story. It urges you to keep playing, so you can keep learning more and more about what will happen.
Great Ex; Ghost Trick

Gameplay is definitely a large factor in a great game. Even if the story were to be great, or the music to be catchy, why would you keep playing if you can't stand the way to play?
Great Ex; MineCraft

Music is also a great thing. It's not exactly required, as a horror game with no music and all atmosphere can still be perfect, but music can be a great thing to have.
Great Ex; No More Heroes

Atmosphere. Horror. Chills down my back.
Great Ex; Slender

But, really, for most games, they usually lack one or more of the important factors, be it for better or for worse.

• Agree
Reactions: JKangaroo

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
I usually prefer gameplay, story, and music.

For gameplay, I enjoy platformers, and if you can move fluently, jump easily, and has many unique levels, I'll love it.
Examples: Super Mario Galaxy, Blinx

For music, I enjoy five primary instruments: guitar, piano, trumpet, flute, and violin. If done properly, they can make a hell of a good sound that can be listened to at any time on any day.
Examples: Sonic games, Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom (That music is much better than you may think if you haven't played it)

For storyline, I enjoy well thought out stories and can really make a game shine if it lacks a little bit in the gameplay department, and if it's with a game with good gameplay and music, then the storyline can be spectacular and worthwhile.
Examples: Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 4

Reactions: Duffie

Fatalis

Reaction score
I would have to say unique gameplay. If a game seems like EVERY OTHER GAME OUT THERE for the genre, chances are I won't play it. Graphics might be an indication if I stay to look at the game (if the game has terrible graphics, I might just pass it by), but if the gameplay is good then graphics aren't a factor (I even turn mine down to minimum just to make the game run faster. Also, balancing in the game is good. If the game is too hard or too easy, I won't play it or I'll be extremely bored with it.

• Agree
Reactions: balloon98

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I like games where you develop your character (jRPGs), city or even whole countries and civilizations (strategies)

So ability to develop stuff in games is most important.
It must have as few bugs as possible and have low demands on your computer resources.

Digitalis

Reaction score
I can't help but notice the thread title and poll title ask two totally different questions, but since I'm going to go with the poll, what makes a game good is the gameplay and music.

I can't count how many amazing games I've played that lack story, but were held up by their more than spectacular gameplay and music.

bacon is always nice too.