Accepted [Mob] Lantern Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Map Name: Lantern Square
Author: Catcocomics
Game Type: Mob
World Border: Nothing's getting past those walls.
Download: /warp LanternSquare
Shop Items: 4 unique shops in these buildings:

One sells weapons (the swords are cheap because they break fast, but hit hard), one sells armor, one sells shoes, and one sells food.
Shop contents and prices are contained in the shulker boxes.
Gold in the middle row corresponds to the price of the item directly above it.
Gold on the bottom row corresponds to the item 1 slot to the left.

Fall Damage: no please.
End Wave: 60
Mob Spawns:
*Zombie, Spooder, Skeleton (First 20 waves)
*Zombie, Husk, Spooder, Skeleton, Guardian, Silver Fish, Ender Mite, Stray, Slime (Waves 21-40)
*Zombie Pigman, Cave Spooder, Guardian, Ender Mite, Stray, Wither Skeleton, Magma Cube, Vex, Elder Guardian, Vindicator, Ghast. (Final 20 waves)

Zombies, Husks, Zombie Pigs, Guardians, and Elder Guardians only, please.

Please set time to night (I think 12:00 A.M. should do it)

Starter kit and Player Spawn point are where the green shulker box is.
Bear in mind, the Fugu only does 4 damage (fish + 3 from enchant).

The whole map:

Last edited:

SalientGorilla

The Brutal Create Dictator
Reaction score
Sadly, this map for me is a -1. The water will be a massive issue and for me, is the massive issue. At night time, the frost walker boots will freeze the water over and won't melt, so all the water will just become ice. However, at day time, if you get knocked into the water, it will just ruin your day reaaaaaal bad and could end really quickly.

• Dislike
Reactions: Comp

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Depth Strider 3 boots are only 5 gold
They aren't very durable so you're likely to need to buy them multiple times, but you can get them pretty early.
As comp said, this might overly favor the survivors, but the map is to have guardians, and you remember how many mobs just appeared by wave 12 when we were playing last night (or what ever time it was for you).

Iggish

Reaction score
"Depth Strider 3 boots are only 5 gold
They aren't very durable so you're likely to need to buy them multiple times, but you can get them pretty early.
"
While they will get broken quickly, speed boots and water potions are also readily available for a cheap amount of gold. There are many problems associated with this:

I feel that the shops are very original and I like that aspect of the map. One thing though, why do chain boots cost 10 gold when they do the same armour as the OP leather ones which cost a lost cheaper?
"As comp said, this might overly favor the survivors, but the map is to have guardians, and you remember how many mobs just appeared by wave 12 when we were playing last night (or what ever time it was for you)."
This is actually a problem. As you said, many mobs spawn by that time. Because the map is very small with virtually no room to maneuver around in, the survivors will be forced to move onto the water. The guardians will then easily dismantle the survivors. I think that the fact that survivors can buy frost walker boots a very intelligent addition as it partly solves the size problem of the map as the ice doesn't melt in the night time, leading to a larger area to run around in. While this does solve the size problem partially, I still think that the map is too small and the survivors will not find it enjoyable. I know it would take a long time to do but I suggest making the whole map x2 larger. The width x2, the length x2, the boardwalks x2 in width and length and so on. Basically making it a larger replica of what it is now.

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
If I'm actually to try and make the map bigger, I'm going to need help with making sure I can do that without having to clear out a bunch of random builds that may or may not be forgotten relics from two years prior.

Alternatively, I can ask for a different mob selection (something I'm already inclined to do since Comp told me I can only do which ones will spawn in general), and, if it's possible, lower the number of mobs that spawn all together.

Perhaps this map would be easier to deal with if the only mobs that did spawn (apart from bosses and bonus mobs) were zombies, husks, guardians, and elder guardians?

As far as the armor goes, I could do to upgrade it all (prot 2-4 for chain and prot 4 for diamond sound good?)

And uhh, why did you link my youtube "channel" to all this?

• Confusing
Reactions: Iggish
G

Guest35486

Hi Catco, thanks for the submission!

I appreciate that you're trying new ways to create mob maps to make them more interesting. However, as Sal and Iggy have stated above, I don't think this map would work at the moment.

Each item is carefully thought out with extra elements such as new names to match the theme of the map, but some of the items need adjustments.
To bring up an example, your Samurai Longbow (shown in spoiler) has Power V and Punch II and costs 10 gold. For reference, the default Power II bow in most mob maps costs 18 gold. To reach Power V, the player has to purchase more bows/books to combine them. (Currently only available in certain maps)
In the same screenshot, you can see that the potions have the same price even if they do different amounts of damage/healing. Lingering potions of damage I and II cost the same.
Food will not be relevant at all in mob, but I did enjoy looking at the food items' names.

Sal and Iggy have mostly stated my thoughts on the water/structure of the map. I can easily see people hoarding water breathing potions and hiding. When more mobs spawn, the water aspect of the map may backfire instead. (Like accidentally running into a cobweb) It might be hard to exit the water to return to the platforms when mobs can constantly damage the player. This prevents them from returning to the shop to buy weapons, armor, charms of resurrection or others. The items in shop seem to greatly impact how the round would turn out, (Frost Walker, water breathing, etc.) making this map unpredictable and risky.

As of now, I have to go with a -1
EDIT: Changing my vote to 0 after changes listed below

Last edited by a moderator:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I didn't put much thought into the prices; was mostly just trying to put numbers to things without thinking too hard about them.
A pow 5 bow with no damage would be better off around 50 gold tbh, and I might as well make the diamond armor stronger for more money (to make room for the chain armor to also be stronger so that it's actually worth buying).

As for the water breathing potion, I can simply replace it with a respiration helm with less defense than the main armor.

Would it be possible to lower the number of mobs that spawn on average for later waves?

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Would it be possible to lower the number of mobs that spawn on average for later waves?
There's a config option which is a mob spawn multiplier - this is adjusted per map. Smaller maps have a smaller multiplier and larger maps have a larger. For your map, I can easily decrease this which will mean fewer mobs will spawn on later waves. What I can't currently do it change it per wave though

Catcocomics

Reaction score
For your map, I can easily decrease this which will mean fewer mobs will spawn on later waves. What I can't currently do it change it per wave though
That should be all I need, thank you.
With this, we can find a balance, and I'm really thinking that I just want to have zombies and guardians (plus their variants) spawn.

With lesser amounts, the lower prices on most things will work well an people won't get over whelmed until they have the gear to deal with such large armies (though we may have to find the right multiplier to achieve this).

I think I shall touch up on the shop items not long after this post.

[Edit]:
I have made the following changes to the shops:
*added weaker golden apples to food shop (should I make the notch apples more expensive?)

*Scaled potion pricing based on effect (the str 1 potion is worth more because it lasts a full 2 minutes as opposed to str 2's 22 seconds).

*Chain and Diamond armor have been buffed and made more expensive
**Chain now has prot 2 unbr 3
**Diamond now has prot 4 unbr 3 and mending.
***You can buy bottles of enchanting (currently 2 for 1 gold) specifically for repairing the diamond armor.

*Zora flippers now cost more, but are still less than the chain mail (should they be on par with the upgraded chain mail?)

*Replaced the waterbreating potion with a resp 3 golden helm for a higher price.

*Replaced the 5 Light Arrows (spectral) with 1 Ancient Arrow (damage 2). The price remains the same because these arrows actually do more damage instead of useless glowing.
**Ancient Arrows are only effective against Guardians, since harming 2 heals zombies. I have no plans for adding healing arrows, so you'll just have to switch to normals arrows if you really want to shoot the zombies.

*marked where mobs should spawn with signs

*Added Ocean's Memento (Diamond sword dealing the same damage as the stronger gold sword).
**I might've misspelled 'Memento' on the actual sword by mistake
**Had to move the shield to the armor shop because the weapon shop is full.
**This new sword in only an upgrade in the sense that you aren't immediately disarmed after killing 5 enemies. Like the diamond armor, this too can be repaired by using bottles of enchanting.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Omni

HKCaper

Almighty Goat
Reaction score
Hi Catco,

I want to start of with thanking you for submitting the map and mentioning eveything I like about your map.
Firstly, I really like the theme of your map and I think the map overall is very pretty. I also find the details of your shop items amazing. It really shows you have put some effort in creating the different names, which just give that little extra enjoyment in the map. In addition I also agree with your mob choice. Personally I am a big fan of having a selection of mobs in a mob game, instead of all mobs (ugh Cave Spiders and Skellies).

From this point forward things start to become more of an issue (but I do think all of the issues can be fixed), and I want to discuss two aspects: The water and the items, starting with the water. I do think the water adds an interesting element to the game, and could play out nicely. However, it can also play out badly. As the waves progress it will be harder to stay on land, forcing you to go into the water/ falling into the water/ getting pushed into the water. Here it is critical there is way to not be killed by guardians right away (I do like the (elder) guardians)/ being able to get back on land easily/ not being too OP as a player in the water. Last point has to do with items (mostly), but the rest has to do with structuring of the map. I do have some suggestions; 1. Make the water only 1 block deep 2. Make the walkways a little wider, like 1/2 blocks, which is not too much work (not the whole map) 3. Add some easier ways to get out of the water, like a couple of stairs on the sides.

Now the items, and while I said I was discussing 2 aspects, the issues I have with the items have to do with the water as well (for a large part). First of all: I advise you remove the Frost Walker boots (too much of a hassle tbh), and make boots depth strider II (too be a bit less strong, but keep them the same price, because you will want to buy these a ton). Secondly: Make the really strong items (Power V, Prot IV, Sharp V, Notch Apples) more expensive, for example Power V bow becomes 100 gold. There are enough rounds (wow 60, isnt that a bit much!?), so you can buy whatever you want in the long run.

All in all, I think if you can improve the structure of the map slightly and finetune the item pricing, the map could be unique and exciting. You already made a lot of changes, and now in my eyes it only needs a few small ones more to make the map work. Because I really like your map theme, I can see the amount of work that has gone into details, and I think the map will work, I am going to give your map a +1.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
[BCOLOR=#333399]Shop changes:[/BCOLOR]
*Shiny Skates removed (during the night, they basically nullify the main mechanic of the map).
*Silver Boots added for 10 Gold (iron boots with only depthstrider 3)
^Zora Flippers 10g -> 20g
*Shiny armor, Samurai Longbow, and Ocean's Memento prices all raised to 64 Gold.
*Golden Peach 30g -> 64g
*Ancient Arrows 6g/1 -> 4g/2
*Harming 1 cloud replaced with Wither's Bane (healing 2 arrows, 5g/2)

[BCOLOR=#999999]Map Changes:[/BCOLOR]
*Stairs added coming out of the water to assist people getting back on land.
^Added at corner ladders by mid, each of the shops, and between each of the inner and outer gates.

G

Guest35486

Hi Catco, thanks for making adjustments!

Changes such as the removal of the Frost Walker boots and the addition of stairs definitely help simplify the map. The old map setup seemed too complicated and risky. However, I still have some concerns. HK has brought up points I agree with.
1. Make the water only 1 block deep
To be honest, this was one of the changes I wanted to see the most. I had PM'd you in-game, asking you about your opinion on this. Your response was that it would limit the Guardians' movement, which is totally valid and understandable. Perhaps make half the map 1 block deep, but the other half 2 blocks? Once the waves go on, players will be forced into deeper water anyway.
Secondly: Make the really strong items (Power V, Prot IV, Sharp V, Notch Apples) more expensive, for example Power V bow becomes 100 gold.
Many of the items and their pricing are still awkward/unbalanced in my opinion. Right now you have the most powerful items as 64 gold. I think I agree with HK here where they should be at least 100 gold. I would also recommend raising the prices of the chain Prot II armor (or just remove Prot II).
There are enough rounds (wow 60, isnt that a bit much!?)
There are definitely way too many rounds. For reference, I don't think any of the mob maps go beyond 30 waves. I failed to mention this concern in my first post, but it'll be hard for players to win rounds at all. Even if you reduce the spawn multiplier, the round will last too long. Players may easily get bored and leave.

Both Iggy and HK have brought up the suggestion of expanding the map, or at least portions of it. I agree with their opinions and would suggest expanding the paths. I understand that your intention is for players to eventually go into the water, but the narrow paths cause two problems. One, it is hard for players to fight and get gold in the beginning before they get Depth Strider boots. They can be easily pushed off while fighting mobs. Two, once the waves increase, it'll be incredibly difficult for players to buy items from shops.

Other than that, I suggest adding more anvils. It is hard enough to run around in mob maps, and using anvils are always risky. In all the current mob maps, there are anvils in more than one location for this reason.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Other than that, I suggest adding more anvils. It is hard enough to run around in mob maps, and using anvils are always risky. In all the current mob maps, there are anvils in more than one location for this reason.
If I left any anvils at all (apart from the ones in the shops that are meant to be inaccessible), they're not meant to be in the map.
The reasons for no anvils are as follows:
*There are no enchanted books in the map at all.
*The items are already named to fit the theme of the map, renaming them here really serves no purpose because it's mob.
*The bottles of enchanted exist only for the purpose of repairing the top-tier armor and weapons.

In the spoiler I tackle what I consider to be minor points that I defend at midnight.
The anvil thing was also to be a minor point, but can't put anything before a quote if it's on the very first line.
Both Iggy and HK have brought up the suggestion of expanding the map, or at least portions of it. I agree with their opinions and would suggest expanding the paths. I understand that your intention is for players to eventually go into the water, but the narrow paths cause two problems. One, it is hard for players to fight and get gold in the beginning before they get Depth Strider boots. They can be easily pushed off while fighting mobs. Two, once the waves increase, it'll be incredibly difficult for players to buy items from shops.
Believe me: I would have made it much bigger to begin with if I had that much space to work with in my little corner on Flat One.

On the matter of roads, people getting knocked off early on isn't really a bad thing, assuming it even happens with how few mobs we will start with.
Just remember that zombies can't dive or swim fast, and you're golden.

I could very well do to try and protect shoppers from guardians somewhat, but too much protection would make a shelter, and zombies aren't smart enough to breech most shelters (oh no, a door! I'm not allowed to break doors!).

There is also the fact that 50% of the stair cases are right next to literally leading up to the shops, so if you get knocked into the water, just waltz right back up.

Also
Two, once the waves increase, it'll be incredibly difficult for players to buy items from shops.
What mob map doesn't have this problem?
It'll only help people learning how to deal with harder mob maps in the long run if they're used to having to wait 5 rounds for < 20 seconds of safe shop time.
To be honest, this was one of the changes I wanted to see the most. I had PM'd you in-game, asking you about your opinion on this. Your response was that it would limit the Guardians' movement, which is totally valid and understandable. Perhaps make half the map 1 block deep, but the other half 2 blocks? Once the waves go on, players will be forced into deeper water anyway.
Making the water shallow would also inhibit player mobility in the water, forcing them to climb onto the wooden paths at certain parts (when changing quadrants and/or moving to/from mid, to be precise) instead of being able to sink down and quickly dash under them.
There is also little trouble with getting back out of the water thanks to staircases and Minecraft step-physics (and there are plenty of stairs), and even then, swimming up 4 blocks doesn't take too terribly long.
People could also utilize a strategy of sinking to the bottom as it is now and swiping at zombies from below until the guardians start to spawn because zombies are too stupid to dive.
For comparison with the only map really similar to this (I believe it's called Grow), this is less op than literally standing on a car and camping with a sword until blazes shot you off. since the water tactic still forces you to come up for air.

Many of the items and their pricing are still awkward/unbalanced in my opinion. Right now you have the most powerful items as 64 gold. I think I agree with HK here where they should be at least 100 gold. I would also recommend raising the prices of the chain Prot II armor (or just remove Prot II).
Notch Apples:
Either remove them, make them only accessible after a certain round (say about 15), or keep them as they are.

Equipment:
I'm just going to start and say that a number of the price compromises I made were a mistake.
I will not pretend to know whether or not you understand:
*how strong guardians really are.
*the logic behind my choices of cheap and affordable armor.
Allow me to remedy regardless.

I firmly believe that the Diamond Sword and Stronger bow should be no more than 40g each, the sword be so because the only difference between it and the 20g gold sword is a massive durability advantage.

The idea behind the diamond sword is that it is vastly less of a money dump than the gold swords, but you might want to get the gold swords when starting out because you can sort of afford to get them early on.

The pow 5 bow is meant to deal with guardians from a safe distance and to deal with the wither at all.
Besides, won't people be spending quite enough money trying to get more of the harming and healing arrows specifically for dealing with guardians and the wither (about 5g for every 2 strong arrows)?

And most importantly, I had the armor very particularly low-priced because of a little something I found here http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Guardian about guardians:
The guardian's laser is able to penetrate armor to some extent, making strong tiers of armor with enchantments even more essential. While a guardian does 9 () of damage (hard difficulty) to an unarmored player, it deals 5 () to a player in diamond armor - one would expect that the attack would get reduced to 2 () of damage. That means that while guardian attack stats do not look very impressive, it still deals more damage to players wearing armor than other mobs with higher stats, although using enchanted armor can still reduce damage further.
Guardians deal 2 () damage each time it is hit when its pufferfish-type spikes are extended. If cornered, the guardian will usually extend its spikes and fire at the player, even at point blank range.

compared to zombies, guardians are scary. And so are the zombie pigmen (I've seen them do a whopping 5 damage through full diamond on mob) who will eventually accompany the guardians, and also mind that there will be elder guardians.

This map will not be playable with prices of 100g (or even 50g) on anything that isn't a super strong consumable (i.e. notch apple) because the gold gained from zombies alone will not be enough to meet such lofty prices in time for dealing with guardians.

I will also mention that I ultimately intended for this map to be quite a bit easier over all than all the other mob maps out there.

Unless you have really strong evidence proving that I need not ready the players for a sudden difficulty spike going from early game to end-game, I will proceed to revert/lower armor and weapon prices tomorrow after school.
[edit]:
ignore this, for a more direct resolution was sought out.

Last edited:

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the map catco
I think all the Aod staff feel that the map is far from perfect, however we would like to give the map a try on the server and see how it plays out - depending on feedback it may be modified or potentially removed if the game play is sub-par.
There were a few changes to the map from your submission, I wasn't able to add Guardians or Elder Guardians - this is because firstly I would have to make a fair few changes to the code to support it due to removing guardians from the mob list, and secondly I think they may be a bit too overpowered. Instead, I added Vindicators and Vexes to the mob list. Also, I didn't add most of the food to the shops because the food has no use any more, and the spawn kit is currently broken (I'll fix this ASAP though).

If you find any problems with the map where I've imported it wrongly, let me know, as it is currently on the server.
-On Trial?

• Agree
Reactions: Unusual_Dood

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Played it twice, once getting 2-shot by a vindicator because I only had leather shirt and didn't see it, the second getting 3-hit-comboed by vexes I could not hope to out maneuver despite zora flippers.
Some changes I'd like to see:

*Replace zombies with regular spiders (do not spawn any cave spiders please). Reason: 8 waves in, still only barely able to buy another royal sword and chestplate. Shop prices are still kind of balanced towards maps that drop more than 1g per kill, so let's have some spooders, plz.
Keep zombie pigmen and vindicators.

*Replace vexes with ghasts. I have a plethora of reasons for this one: With chain chestplate and zora boots, I was still 3-shot by them (the armor listed being what I could afford by the time vexes spawned).
Even with the zora boots that literally double my speed, I had no hope of out-maneuvering three vexes (much less, one vex) because they fly and no-clip. Trying to swat them with a sword is also fairly ineffective because of their speed and tiny hitboxes.
Vindicators could also 3-shot me, but at least I could drag them into the water to slow them down.
Also, kind of wanted a ranged enemy of some variety.

*Halve the prices on all the diamond gear, because I did intend on a full set being affordable before game's end, and it currently isn't looking like anyone could even afford half a set by then.

*reduce price of chain armor to 10g-12g/piece so that people can be better armored for when the vindicators show up.

*Reduce price of leather set to 1g/piece

*shut the inner gates; zombies and the like are smart enough to not get stuck on them, and even if they do, you can hit them out easily.

Thank you for your effort and patience.

Omni

Reaction score

So seeing as I completed the map... I'm gonna throw out my opinion here and say the flippers need a nerf, as do the cost of the diamond gear. But the lower things like chain and gold swords need cost/damage changed. Arrows I'm not even sure work, but the base 10 arrows are too cheap IMO, and the 64g Bow/Sword are both too powerful for their cost. That said, vexes shouldn't be removed since they're basically... the only hard part of the map. Vindicators aren't a problem past wave 9, neither is Wither since it gets stuck in the middle/around the houses and then you can easily kill it since you move bullshit fast with the flippers.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
So seeing as I completed the map... I'm gonna throw out my opinion here and say the flippers need a nerf, as do the cost of the diamond gear. But the lower things like chain and gold swords need cost/damage changed. Arrows I'm not even sure work, but the base 10 arrows are too cheap IMO, and the 64g Bow/Sword are both too powerful for their cost. That said, vexes shouldn't be removed since they're basically... the only hard part of the map. Vindicators aren't a problem past wave 9, neither is Wither since it gets stuck in the middle/around the houses and then you can easily kill it since you move bullshit fast with the flippers.
In fairness, this map was balanced specifically for fighting guardians, with the zombies (that I still want to replace with normal spiders) being what prepare you for the guardians.
Perhaps it may be most prudent to wait until guardians are put back in.
Whether or not this map is in rotation during that time, I can't care.

[Edit]:
A recent play test has show to me that the gold swords are overwhelmingly underpowered.

*the durability on both of them is absolutely worthless
*the royal sword lacks any amount of sweeping edge, and its level of unbreaking makes next to no difference. The royal sword is supposed to have sweeping edge 3, and giving it unbr 2 on it would also help it be worth 13g.

Without those changes, buying gold swords will probably seal your doom every time you buy more than one or two.

Last edited:

Iggish

Reaction score
Comp said this map was "on trial?" so I think I can still respond to it. Like moderator trials, sometimes you pass and sometimes you fail. In my opinion this map is not a pass. First of all the map lasts 70 minutes and becomes really cluttered with mobs on the narrow walkways. One of my main requests was for this map to be made larger and certain parts expanded. However, nothing was done and the map has panned out like I thought it would. People buy the depth strider III and speed boots and camp in the water, picking off the mobs with very powerful bows. As the map becomes too cluttered, it is impossible to even go to the shops as hordes of mobs surround it. As you said, this map was meant for guardians and that could be one of the reasons it doesn't work well. In saying this, the guardians would have forced people onto the land where which I have previously said, is very little space to combat and evade mobs.
Because of how cluttered the map gets and how hard it is to actually die, I have to give this map a -1

Catcocomics

Reaction score
First of all the map lasts 70 minutes and becomes really cluttered with mobs on the narrow walkways.
So they ask/tell me to make it shorter than 60 rounds, and I'm like "sure, we'll have it be ~30", and then it ends up being 60 rounds.
Maybe this was a result of communication error where I didn't update the main post, and we go off the main post, but idk.
One of my main requests was for this map to be made larger and certain parts expanded. However, nothing was done and the map has panned out like I thought it would.
If someone wants to find me a nice plot or something with lots of room to put this in for that very purpose, I will happily expand the map a nice deal. Alternatively, we could try and find out if a number of the surrounding builds still have any relevance to anyone.
As the map becomes too cluttered, it is impossible to even go to the shops as hordes of mobs surround it.
I mean, if you hang around one part of the map for about 20 seconds fighting mobs or whatever, all the mobs go over there and kinda get stuck, opening up at least 3 shops. Not at all what I wanted, but I never wanted vexes or vindicators either, so...?
In saying this, the guardians would have forced people onto the land where which I have previously said, is very little space to combat and evade mobs.
They would force everyone not currently running sanic speeds back onto the land, because they have a 15-block range and about 3 seconds warm-up for their beam attack.

And btw, when I mean to expand the map, I mean adding new buildings and another, bigger walkway looping around all the shops. The only current expansion possible without bulldozing builds/moving the map would be to add more water, which is kind of useless tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.