MiniMaps, Maps, and LargeMaps

Alkatraz

Reaction score
We all know more or less how the current map rotation system works: If there are 8 or less players on the server then a MiniMap will be played. If there are 9 or more players on, a standard rotation map is played.

I'm not sure how difficult it will be to implement this, but here is my proposal:
We keep MiniMaps how they are, but split the rest of the maps into 2 types, Standard and Large. Standard being 64x64x64 maps or smaller (also including maps with equivalent or less blocks, e.g. DarkPassage and Bea). Large being anything larger for example WaterFacility. This would allow us to permit larger maps through submissions and lead to more interesting uses of space.

0-8 players = MiniMap.
9-12 = 40%? chance of being a MiniMap, 60% chance of being a Standard size map.
13-20= Standard size Map.
21-35 = Standard/Large maps. (Current 9+ method)

As I'm sure you can tell, I am a fan of the MiniMaps and I think majority of them work quite well with larger numbers of people and provide a good change in how the game played out. But they aren't great for full servers.

There is no NEED for this to be implemented, particularly as pre Aug6th even with 2 players on we could end up playing on WaterFacility. However having experienced going from an 8 player mini map game to a 9 player SnowedIn game, it can be quite lonely on the larger maps.

I'm open to criticism and interesting in hearing other people's opinions on the idea.

Chinner2

Reaction score
Love the idea. Sounds kinda complicated though, like for programmind it. If this was implemented I would love it.

Marnixxie

Hippo
Reaction score
Wait, I just want to add something.
To make your life easier Alkatraz.
Personally I would make it:
0-8 players = MiniMap.
9-14 = 30 chance of being a MiniMap, 70% chance of being a Standard size map.
15-24= Standard size Map.
25-35 = Standard/Large maps. (Current 9+ method)

What do you think of that Alkatraz?
Hoped it helped out a bit.

Alkatraz

Reaction score
0-8 players = MiniMap.
9-14 = 30 chance of being a MiniMap, 70% chance of being a Standard size map.
15-24= Standard size Map.
25-35 = Standard/Large maps. (Current 9+ method)
Works for me.

Wait, does this mean we can submit mini maps now?
Yes, however remember that we have ~30 mini maps, which are only used with <8 players, which isn't THAT common. But ~ 70 maps for normal rotation.

I'd guess that 75% of the time, a normal sized map is played rather than a mini map. So don't go mad with submitting mini maps, as they aren't as common to be played as normal sized maps.

Celebrir

Reaction score
When will this get added to the server?

There's only one problem. Some days ago no staff was online and we played a huge map with 7 players because there were about 7 specs (propably afk)...
... Please, we need the afk kicker again

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
Yes, however remember that we have ~30 mini maps, which are only used with <8 players, which isn't THAT common. But ~ 70 maps for normal rotation.

I'd guess that 75% of the time, a normal sized map is played rather than a mini map. So don't go mad with submitting mini maps, as they aren't as common to be played as normal sized maps.
Okay, thanks. I had a map built that was a little on the small side for a normal map.