[Map] Skylands- A Small, Interesting map

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikesMods

Reaction score
  • Name of the map: Skylands
  • Creator(s): LikesMods (Me)
  • Size: 67x66 (Small!)
  • Biome: Plains. It might come across as... Plain to some!
  • Screenshots, including timer areas (Do not use shaders or a custom resource pack!) :
  • Whole Album! http://imgur.com/a/fOZLK
  • If you included chests, then list the items that are contained in each of them (Optional):
  • -Chest location: Under LikesMods's house.
  • Contains: bones (about 16) named LikesMods, Red dye (named blood and guts), Light Gray dye (named Decomposing Guts), LikesMods Diary (Written Book), Blue Leather Cap named LikesMods's hat, a Fire Aspect 1 Stone sword named LikesMods's Sword, Leather pants named LikesMods's Pants, and A splash fire resist pot (2:15) named LikesMods's Finest Moonshine.
  • Chest Location: In the Attic of LikesMods's house
  • Contains: About 10 String, 3 stacks of cobble
  • Chest Location: Near the top of the Nether-Spire
  • Contains: Lava God's Fire Flower (Poppy) (Fire Aspect 1, Fire Protection 1, Flame 1)
  • Chest Location: Inside the Island with about 16 logs (Big log pile)
  • Contains: Bones, Blood (redstone), Piston, Sooty Pants (Gray than light gray leather pants) Undiluted Blood (Insta-damage 1 splash)
  • Chest Location: John's Grave (grave robbing!)
  • Contains: About 16 Bones named John, John's Diary, John's Finest Whiskey (insta-damage 1), Decomposing guts (light Gray dye), Blood and Guts (Red dye), John's skull, John's Pants (Gold Pants), John's shirt (Green leather), John's shoes (Feather Falling 2 Chain boots)
  • Furnace Location: John's House
  • Contains: Gold ingot, Unbreaking 3 fishing rod
  • Any block that you prefer to be no-break or no-drop?: Everything should be breakable (except bedrock, but that is default)
  • Any extra information about your map?: It can be more difficult than most, Especially on higher difficulties. Also I am extremely generous with chest items to make up for that. Just don't burn to death!
  • Download link (optional): It is on the Schematics Page under LM_Skylands_Fixed

crafter

Reaction score
It needs more to work with. The total block count, ignoring air, is pretty low. This'll scare off new players because there aren't many blocks to pick up and use for their homes. You'll have to have materials already in your inventory, which is a problem for some. If you added like a "mainland" at the bottom that could have like 7 or 8 layers of dirt and stone then it'd probably be fine.
Edit: also the chest rewards seem a bit too generous. I know it's to make up for the challenge of the map but still...

• Agree
Reactions: Willchill

LikesMods

Reaction score
Yes I admit it is small with generous rewards, but it meant to be challenging in the amount of blocks. The amount of stone is to promote use of the houses, and maybe the nether spire

H

Harold1995

I agree with what they said above. The idea is also tried alot of times.
Needs alot more work i am sure you can figure it out :)

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the idea of the map, and it looks simple and sweet, but it seems small and doesn't have much room for player building, etc.
Maybe add bigger islands, or something similar for that matter?
Also, there may be a lot of rage factor, because as simple as the jumps seem--people can fall and, well, die.
This results in them losing all their stuff, and people possibly rage quitting (it happens). Also, you could also make it slightly more generous with the simple, basic materials like wood and stone especially. There is quite an amount of stone on the map, but people would be destroying the islands and the jump ways to get it, I just think that you could make some bigger islands and add more stone to the bottom, also considering that there can be A LOT of people on RoF at a time and such a small map may find it difficult to withstand all the people.
Just my personal opinion, may not be correct or incorrect but just throwing it out there.

• Agree
Reactions: crafter

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
The chests would really just give those rewards to higher ranking people on the server who really don't need it. As they would be high enough to buy iron or diamond full armor and tools. So I'm for nerfing those chests. The amount of air around would also cause some lag for players, which players hate. So I suggest making the islands bigger, there would still be a lack of building material but less air and less lag. Going with a -1 . As stated above many people have tried floating islands/structures before. Even if it is appealing to the eye, and has places to explore/challenge the player nearly all are denied because the amount of air in the map.

To recap, Just make the islands bigger / add more to make sure there is less air. Also nerf the chests, the head staff really do not like "rare" items being so "easy" to get.

LikesMods

Reaction score
The chests would really just give those rewards to higher ranking people on the server who really don't need it. As they would be high enough to buy iron or diamond full armor and tools. So I'm for nerfing those chests. The amount of air around would also cause some lag for players, which players hate. So I suggest making the islands bigger, there would still be a lack of building material but less air and less lag. Going with a -1 . As stated above many people have tried floating islands/structures before. Even if it is appealing to the eye, and has places to explore/challenge the player nearly all are denied because the amount of air in the map.

To recap, Just make the islands bigger / add more to make sure there is less air. Also nerf the chests, the head staff really do not like "rare" items being so "easy" to get.
I will nerf the major amount of major things, like the boots, the sword, and the gold pants, But am I at least allowed to replace the pants with a power 1 bow named Nill's Lost Nerf Gun? As a tribute to the nerfing you asked of lol.
Also, can the Lava God's Fire Flower be kept the way it is? It has very little purpose even in KoTL, where it would just do some minor DOT that one could inflict upon ones self. And even then (spoilers) It has a TNT near it so it will blow up the person who opens the chest if they are not smart enough with it.

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others on the smallness of the islands. Larger islands would be an improvement.

I am concerned about the tnt rigged chest part. I don't know if the amount of tnt is enough to kill, but based off what you said, it sounds like it (forgive me if I'm wrong.) Me personally, I don't think that death traps are generally a good idea in RoF. It would cause rage quits and the probability of those quits would be higher than the falling ones. The reason for me saying that is that dying from falling, lava, or mobs you can prevent. However in a death trap you have no idea that its going to happen. Unless it is quite obvious that the trap is there. (Yes, there will be people who will still miss it.)

Anyway, best of luck on your submission!

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
I will nerf the major amount of major things, like the boots, the sword, and the gold pants, But am I at least allowed to replace the pants with a power 1 bow named Nill's Lost Nerf Gun? As a tribute to the nerfing you asked of lol.
Also, can the Lava God's Fire Flower be kept the way it is? It has very little purpose even in KoTL, where it would just do some minor DOT that one could inflict upon ones self. And even then (spoilers) It has a TNT near it so it will blow up the person who opens the chest if they are not smart enough with it.
I have to agree with the others on the smallness of the islands. Larger islands would be an improvement.

I am concerned about the tnt rigged chest part. I don't know if the amount of tnt is enough to kill, but based off what you said, it sounds like it (forgive me if I'm wrong.) Me personally, I don't think that death traps are generally a good idea in RoF. It would cause rage quits and the probability of those quits would be higher than the falling ones. The reason for me saying that is that dying from falling, lava, or mobs you can prevent. However in a death trap you have no idea that its going to happen. Unless it is quite obvious that the trap is there. (Yes, there will be people who will still miss it.)

Correct me if I'm wrong... But TnT doesn't even do damage to players or the surrounding areas when it blows up. From what I have seen in maps. Or else some random players might have an easier time killing people in game. (And killing people in any manor is frowned upon in RoF) The power 1 bow I don't see a problem with. The Lava God's Fire Flower should have its fire protection gotten rid of, same with the fire aspect potion. Fire protection is suppose to be a rare (master+) thing in RoF. For the things that would be removed that would be up to the controllers/directors. If the map is accepted they would just remove the items.

• Informative
Reactions: crafter
D

DarkHender

I don't really like how small this map is, barely anything to work with and the chests are looted with things that I would rather have the players to work for to get.
I don't think the flower should have any enchants, but thats just my personal opinion.
Also there seems to be a few things with fire aspect which I am not in favour of.
I believe this map needs a lot of retweaking.

Annd what Buta said;

LikesMods

Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong... But TnT doesn't even do damage to players or the surrounding areas when it blows up. From what I have seen in maps. Or else some random players might have an easier time killing people in game. (And killing people in any manor is frowned upon in RoF) The power 1 bow I don't see a problem with. The Lava God's Fire Flower should have its fire protection gotten rid of, same with the fire aspect potion. Fire protection is suppose to be a rare (master+) thing in RoF. For the things that would be removed that would be up to the controllers/directors. If the map is accepted they would just remove the items.
Just as well though, the Flower wouldn't decrease fire damage unless you were able to wear it. You can't wear roses... err... poppies either. The fire resist pot has been replaced with a mundane potion, though.

W

Wimali

I feel like this map could be nice, but right now it just needs more. The theme of the map isn't very original (We've actually had a map submitted before which is quite similar to this one) and you didn't really make it stand out either. Maybe that's just how I think about it though. Thank you for making a RoF map, please make more, but I just don't think this map is good enough to be put into the rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.