[Map] Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuilin

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Name of the map: Matrix
Creator: kuilin (not capitalized, a la bram)
Size: 93x93, height 71
Biome: Extreme Hills

Screenshots:
Spawn:

Overall Layout:

Cave:

Forest corner:

Desert corner:
First timer: Right below spawn, at a very low level. This timer is just for turning the bottom level of water into lava, and should go off at 5 minutes.

Second timer: This timer will flood most of the bottom underground portion. It should go off at 15 minutes. The lava has not reached the surface at this time, however, the bottom part of the cave will be flooded.

Third timer: This will flood the quadrant that contains part of the cave and the mossy brick structure, and will make lava reach the surface. It should go off at 20 minutes.

Fourth timer: This will flood the sand and forest levels and the top of the stronghold, and leave only the spawn quadrant unflooded. This one should go off at 25 minutes.

Fifth timer: This timer will flood everything up to the spawn islands' level. It should go off at 27 minutes.

Sixth timer: This timer will flood everything, including spawn. It should go off at 31 minutes.
Chests:
I included some chests with items that I felt were not too game-breaking, but still unobtainable. There is a name tag in the final chest in the cave, plus a sparkling potion (no effects, 373:47). Also in the cave are a placed TNT block and a TNT block in a chest. Minor items include a cactus in the chest by spawn, and, in the chest in the dungeon, a piece of clay renamed flint, a piece of flint renamed stone slab, and a stone slab renamed clay. There are also several trapped chests in the map, with one trapped chest in a trapped chest by the dungeon cave opening.
Total (tl;dr): name tag, sparkling potion, 2 TNT, cactus, renamed flint, renamed stone slab, renamed clay, 2 trapped chests.

No-break/No-drop:
The diamond block in the cave should be no-drop. Also, I tried to make floating water with various methods of signs and stuff, but it all fell apart. In the end, I just made it all lapiz blocks. If there could be a way for the water in this map not to flow at all, then the lapiz blocks should be replaced with water; otherwise, they should be nobreak.

Extra info:
This is my first map, and I've been all over it for a long time, planning on paper and whatnot. It's an idea that I've had for a while, and, frankly, don't feel too sure about. I feel like this map is too simple, but yet every time I try to add something to make it something more than what it is, I feel that it just detracts from the simple image that I'm trying to convey. Maybe it's just that I'm too critical of myself, but I just don't see this map as "good enough" for the current quality of maps in RoF, yet still, I can't think of anything to change or add that will make it better. I hope this gets accepted, but I will absolutely understand if it does not, because it'll benefit me either way; I'll get ideas on how to improve my maps, should I try my hand at map-making in the future.

I don't think I can set up warps, as I merely a Player on Buildbox, however, this map is the only thing on my plot in Plots. I also set up a red-wool border around the map and dug a 5 block ditch underneath it, these are not going to be part of the map and exist only to ease the map-copier in copying the map (I understand how hard it is!). The area inside the red wool, not the red wool itself, is the map.

This map was inspired (kinda) by Quarks, and also (kinda) the "Evil" map on Blocktopia classic TNT...

Edit: I have no idea why the spoilers are messed up. Trying to fix right now.
Edit 2: The spoilers were messed up because of random COLOR=#000000 and FONT=ariel tags being put into the editor... I re-wrote the entire thing in BBCode, so it's fine now.
Edit 3: Still borken. Trying to find cause.
Edit 4: The vanilla BBCode editor randomly adds FONT and COLOR tags before and after images, which breaks spoilers. I have fixed it by editing the BBCode raw, but now, even if I just click Edit then immediately Save, it will break. Fix plz.

D

DarkHender

Oh you know how I cannot resist pink.

On a more serious note I do in fact like the idea of the map that I think you are trying to present to us, though I think that it would look much better with a different type of area, no grass/hills/plains but a ruin-broken down building sort of theme would look better and might fit the name more than how it does at this point.

kuilin

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score

On a more serious note I do in fact like the idea of the map that I think you are trying to present to us, though I think that it would look much better with a different type of area, no grass/hills/plains but a ruin-broken down building sort of theme would look better and might fit the name more than how it does at this point.
I toyed with the idea of a broken down building, but the every-three-blocks-cut-away thing would remove an entire wall, making it look less like a building... I also thought about making a diagonally-cut building, or a flickering one with falling-sand blocks in minecarts, but I can't easily do that in Buildbox.

D

DarkHender

I toyed with the idea of a broken down building, but the every-three-blocks-cut-away thing would remove an entire wall, making it look less like a building... I also thought about making a diagonally-cut building, or a flickering one with falling-sand blocks in minecarts, but I can't easily do that in Buildbox.
I am not saying you would need to, but if you wanted it to look moreish like a building, you wouldnt need to do the every three line cut- If you wanted it to look more natural, though I feel as if I am bringing something totally new into this thread instead of talking about the map that has been submitted.

I feel that the 3 block cuts make the map look bad and unappealing and if you switched it up more and made it look more like an earthquake happened instead of someone taking a saw to the earth it might make the map look more appealing.

H

Harold1995

The idea looks nice i am not sure about it though i agree with what Darhender said.
It needs more decoration!

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally was not a fan of Quarks, usually left when it came on. Having to be on edge using shift all the time jumping around to my death, was never a fun thing for me. Some people like the challenge, but when it's the entire map only one group of people are happy. Maybe adding bridges here in there? so the people playing it safe don't have to jump or waste blocks to get places.
The idea however is unique, but like what everyone else said the execution was lacking. Going to go with a 0.

• Agree
Reactions: kuilin
Status
Not open for further replies.