Map:Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TBDWFE1

Name of map: Fallout
Author: TBDWFE1
Size: 144x144
Map boundary: Sponge placed around x=8 z=8. Radius is 72.
Kits:
Humans:
Hero-Stone sword, leather helmet.
Farmer-Wooden sword, 3 bread, 10 dirt.
Alchemist-Stone sword, potion of minor health (or whatever it is called, the one that gives you a bit of health).
Sniper-Bow, 15 arrows.

Hunters:
The first hunter (dark hunter)-Stone sword, bow, 10 arrows.
Ghoul-Wooden sword, 5 rotten flesh, 2 ender pearls.
Arrowslinger-Bow, 15 arrows.
Raider-Stone sword, Stone pickaxe.

Random or choose kits? Random.

Notes:
This map features in a harsh, fallout style wasteland. It is going to be tough for both humans and hunters to both survive and hunt in this post-apocalypse map. Humans can run, build up broken down homes, hide in numerous buildings (most destroyed)or even take shelter in a vault! The question is-are you fit enough to survive in the wasteland?
Resources are limited, the only goal is to survive...
The map will start at sunset and mobs will be on. Be careful of the dark tunnel linking the two halves of the map...
Fire spread OFF.
Build time-3 minutes. During build time players can break all blocks. Spawn is located around x=77, z=32, y=5. It is marked with a diamond block.
Hope you think this map is fun enough for Blocktopia :)
Download link: See my boxel in Buildbox.
Also, is it possible for, if this map goes on AoD, the bedrock layer to be lowered about 15 layers or so, and replaced with 15 layers of stone? This would make it a map that could be mined and at the moment bedrock is only a few layers down, and is too easy for hunters to /locate. Thanks.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

New images: http://imgur.com/a/Wq4l6#0
Does this work?

• Winner
Reactions: Notme and Shmid

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Though the screenshots are too far away to give a complete verdict and I'll have to catch you online in your Boxel sometime, this looks like it'll be a very runner oriented map. This is a problem because there is only one human class that gets only three bread. Later in the round you don't fight, you run. Where is your sprinting then, especially if half the round you were trying to escape a zombie?

Again, I'll have to check your Boxel when we're both online sometime to get a full grasp on this map, but the biggest issue I have with this map is the food sources.

T

TBDWFE1

Though the screenshots are too far away to give a complete verdict and I'll have to catch you online in your Boxel sometime, this looks like it'll be a very runner oriented map. This is a problem because there is only one human class that gets only three bread. Later in the round you don't fight, you run. Where is your sprinting then, especially if half the round you were trying to escape a zombie?

Again, I'll have to check your Boxel when we're both online sometime to get a full grasp on this map, but the biggest issue I have with this map is the food sources.
There are lots of food scattered around the map. Don't worry :)
Also, i will take some better screenshots so you can see them more clearly. However, i can't get to my boxel at the moment, (it keeps doing this...) so i should have the new screenshots later today. Thanks.

Numberplay

Reaction score
Welcome to flatland where the map have barely no hills and no appeal. If you look to your right you might see some empty space that could have been used for more buildings. Please don't take photos. Now if you look to your left, you will see the exact same thing as before. The architect thought that this place would be great for running between two trees and hiding from hunters. I said no photos. This took approximately 5 seconds to build from the analysis of experts. They think that it might even have been a lot shorter to build. They said that this is a waste of terrain and that it could allow a lot more work. Well I hope you enjoyed your travel through this wasteland because seriously, I didn't.

T

TBDWFE1

Welcome to flatland where the map have barely no hills and no appeal. If you look to your right you might see some empty space that could have been used for more buildings. Please don't take photos. Now if you look to your left, you will see the exact same thing as before. The architect thought that this place would be great for running between two trees and hiding from hunters. I said no photos. This took approximately 5 seconds to build from the analysis of experts. They think that it might even have been a lot shorter to build. They said that this is a waste of terrain and that it could allow a lot more work. Well I hope you enjoyed your travel through this wasteland because seriously, I didn't.
I think that this is the whole meaning of a 'wastleland'...
Also, there is a lot more to the map than empty, flat spaces. There are broken down homes scattered around, a little village, a raider castle, a vault, a libary, a big fallen tower, a jail, a bus, and a graveyard. I do, however, agree that i may need to add some more hills. But if people want more buildings, that's fine by me. :)

T

TBDWFE1

Still can't get on my boxel, but when i do i shall add more hills and buildings. I have visited some other boxels for ideas, and realised how flat and boring my world actually was...
sorry number, i agree with you now. :S

Haysagar

AoD Con
Reaction score
Ill check out the map tomarrow when bb is up and running. But the classes look allright and ill update my post when I see what the maps like (cant really see the map well with the pictures :p).

T

TBDWFE1

Ill check out the map tomarrow when bb is up and running. But the classes look allright and ill update my post when I see what the maps like (cant really see the map well with the pictures :p).
That's fine, but remember I am adding more hills, homes that aren't too badly destroyed (to hide in), a hotel and a watchtower, so if you go online before I complete it, try to imagine it with those things xD

T

TBDWFE1

Using Numberplay's mountain guide to make the terrain, thanks number! :D

Wooffus

Reaction score
Numberplay You shouldn't have been THAT harsh on the map. The point of map submissions is that we're there to look at the map and be tactful with our feedback, stating things to improve without coming off as a jerk.

And onto you TBDWFE1 - if you're going for a post-apocalyptic map, you're going to have to focus on more detail. It's difficult to say given that there's nothing left in the world, but something like rock/hill formations, craters, ruins, decayed tree stumps, broken signs... there's quite a lot to still go for when dealing with barren wastelands. Trust me, we've come a long way since Planet of the Apes ;)

One major critique I should bring up to your current designs though is that some of the formations currently look really square, particularly in the ground. You should take advantage of some of the more advanced tools WorldEdit to really bring some of the corners down, or draw the formation out in paint and see what looks more rounded and can fit in the scope of the design.

And another thing I believe would bring some life into the ground would be to blend the design with a non-dirt block for that dusty rubble effect. Mycelium, brown wool and gravel are good starting points; combine that with the WorldEdit tools and these could be used sparodically to fit in a less quicksand-ish look towards the surface.

So, not going to be a vote from me sadly. But either way, if you generally keep at it with the suggestions given, it could work as a good brawl-out (see what I did there?) map. You can do this :)

Reactions: 1 person
T

TBDWFE1

Numberplay You shouldn't have been THAT harsh on the map. The point of map submissions is that we're there to look at the map and be tactful with our feedback, stating things to improve without coming off as a jerk.

And onto you TBDWFE1 - if you're going for a post-apocalyptic map, you're going to have to focus on more detail. It's difficult to say given that there's nothing left in the world, but something like rock/hill formations, craters, ruins, decayed tree stumps, broken signs... there's quite a lot to still go for when dealing with barren wastelands. Trust me, we've come a long way since Planet of the Apes ;)

One major critique I should bring up to your current designs though is that some of the formations currently look really square, particularly in the ground. You should take advantage of some of the more advanced tools WorldEdit to really bring some of the corners down, or draw the formation out in paint and see what looks more rounded and can fit in the scope of the design.

And another thing I believe would bring some life into the ground would be to blend the design with a non-dirt block for that dusty rubble effect. Mycelium, brown wool and gravel are good starting points; combine that with the WorldEdit tools and these could be used sparodically to fit in a less quicksand-ish look towards the surface.

So, not going to be a vote from me sadly. But either way, if you generally keep at it with the suggestions given, it could work as a good brawl-out (see what I did there?) map. You can do this :)
Wow, it is funny you have said this. I have actually done all of what you have said... i have added gravel, sand and grass, i already have signs with letters falling off or missing, i have made hills and mountains (although i'm not sure if i have done too much now), already have a broken road and bus (detail) and i have added some craters! Don't know if you read my mind, but SCARRYYY.
In addition, i have added some trap-mines. Not sure if this is a bit OTT, so please say what you think. My boxel is glitched yet again so i can't take any pictures of my new map, but i have got the things you have said. I tried Mycelium, but it didn't quite look right.
Thanks for your lovely post.

T

TBDWFE1

Added a checklist to first post, please comment on what could be added or removed. Also, added new pictures. (this is for the people who have already read the first post and have not read it again)

T

TBDWFE1

That link is actually going to the user's own Imageshack album (if they have one). :p Please change it!
Okay, i am going out right now, i will be back in about 2 hours, so i will try and change it then. Thanks for letting me know. :)

T

TBDWFE1

Thanks Jammy001 I really appreciate that. But I have a problem. The mycelium keeps spreading, and getting rid of the dirt biomes. Is there any way to fix this?

Haysagar

AoD Con
Reaction score
Well mycelium spreads onto dirt so the only way I can think of is you make the map how you want it then dont go on it anymore till you know if it will be accepeted or not.

T

TBDWFE1

Well mycelium spreads onto dirt so the only way I can think of is you make the map how you want it then dont go on it anymore till you know if it will be accepeted or not.
The mycelium spreads even if i am not in my boxel though. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.