Making an adventure map! (need help with story!)

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
I have decided to make an adventure map for Minecraft Forum and A&T. I always wanted to make one but was never able to get it finished or even started. I have gotten better at building and command blocks, so that should be easier. I created this thread to invite you guys to help me out by giving ideas for the main story line.

I am very bad at coming up with a good story line and am not a very active story writer.
I have put things I want to include happen in it, but don't know where to start them from.
What I want to happen:
-Main character gets arrested for griefing a building (the player will be able to actively grief a building in the map) and goes to prison
-Main character spends a day in prison only to figure out a way to get out
-He escapes prison and runs away to another biome (country)
If you can figure out the rest of the story or how it starts, I will work on the map to fit that.

Things you can suggest:
-Name of main characters
-Bios and origions of characters
-Settings (places and what they should look like)
-Settings' names
-Conflicts

Thanks!
P.S. If I use your ideas I'll be sure to credit you when I submit the map.
P.P.S. I'll try not to let you guys down with this and will try to be working on it each day I get.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
If that's possible, you'd have to some how put those files into the world save file.
For the story though, I think maybe, have the player(s) run into some cataclysmic evil or something like that, and then they have to save the day from it and may/may not be considered a hero?

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
My first bit of advice would be to not come up with a massive story that takes ages to play through. I doubt most people would be willing to play through an adventure map that takes more than a few hours unless it is really good.

I've written a bit on story creation. Hopefully it will help.

What sort of story are you trying to tell?
Will it be similar to an RPG, where the player spends most of their time in dungeons slaying monsters, or are they a modern person who's just trying to start anew after escaping from prison?

Think about what time period and place you want to set your adventure in. Is it on Earth, or somewhere else (outer space, an entirely made up world)? What sort of technology do the people there have? Think of history for that place, especially if you're doing a dungeon crawling map. You could have the player explore ancient ruins built ages ago.

That's a very brief overview of the setting.

After you think of a setting, create a main conflict regarding the setting. E.G. the world is ending, the city is at war and people are dying, there is a large storm coming, the winter has killed off most of the livestock. Think of something bad that affects a large number of people. That is your main issue in the story.

Then, think of a character.

When creating a character, you should consider the setting (technologies they have access to, how other people behave, etc.).
What does the character want to achieve in the story? Why? They don't have to save the city or solve the main conflict, they just have to do something in the story.
What does the character ACTUALLY achieve? They don't have to always save the day or do what they want. Failures make your character seem real.
What are they like? Think of a personality for your character.
How do they change over the course of the story? People change over time. How does your character show this?

Sometimes people leave their main character as vague as possible, especially in games.
There's quite a bit more, but you should have the gist by now.

Finally, set building goals. Aim to build one dungeon in two weeks, or a small town in one. Make sure it's as good as you can make it and don't go back to it for at least a few weeks.

EDIT: Robo, if you give a setting and a few characters I'm sure more people would want to help.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: superhalo6 and Robo