Let's talk again!

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Hi! Here's my opinion on a few things.

Minecraft Servers
What steps are we taking to meet that "~10 player goal?" How is each server doing individually?

Create seems to be developing smoothly and from what I've seen, Mulbery has some great plans for that.

How do we keep moving forward with RoF? Like I think I heard Wimali say, what content could we possibly add to improve the server that we haven't already done? There's suggestions like Mulbery's Prestige suggestion that I like, but in the long term, what is the plan for RoF?

What on earth is going on with AoD? It has ONE moderator, one admin, and Friendy who is both stretched thin between three servers and also having computer troubles. I know we recently had a pretty big update, and it's disappointing that the initial buzz around the update didn't keep playercounts up long, but we need to keep moving with AoD, somehow.

All the AoD jokes aside, it's arguably the current server with the most opportunities for growth. I know this is mostly on Computerguy, but we have a whole community of great people that are actually interested in AoD's success. I know Mulbery has offered help, the admins have offered, and fuck it, I'll help too in whatever way possible. The responsibility of AoD doesn't need to fall on one person. I tried to do that with RoF a long time ago and I got burned out way too fast and was extremely unmotivated after what seemed like a lot of hard work didn't affect RoF's playercount. Had Psycho and SirComputer not come in and flipped a table on me and put in youthful, fresh effort into RoF, it would be much worse than it is today. I'm not saying that we're the same and the only way to fix AoD is to let other people do it, but if you don't feel like doing it alone, there's a wonderful team beside AoD that's here and willing to help.

LoP- this is on me so I don't have a lot of commentary here. We're doing our best, we're waiting on some things. The people working on it are great.

Advertising
I think we're making this much more complicated than it needs to be, and I think what happened with our recent push to advertise has followed in the same footsteps as the previous attempts. I honestly think we should focus less on having an overwhelming quality of our materials, and more so a consistent level of advertising. Every little bit helps, and I think Wimali was doing great with his schedule that he had. Unfortunately, he was paying for a lot of that out of pocket as well, and he's busy with work, school, and RoF on top of it.

Let's keep it simple:
- List all of the outlets that we want to advertise on on a regular basis. This is Reddit, PMC, or other outlets that are not vote-based.

- Come up with a simple advertising schedule and budget for any paid ads for the above, and stick to it. Plan out what servers to advert and when.

- For all vote-based outlets, follow a weekly schedule to update or improve the server postings we have there. As far as the free ones are concerned, why NOT be on every single one available? Also, I think that this is something that Notme would be AMAZING at.

- Stick to the schedule and be consistent with the level of advertising, and improve the quality as we go along. It's shitty to be in the situation of "it's thursday, it's prime advertising time, what do we have?" and hear "we're making a new one but it's not done yet, we'll do it next week... then next week.." and then we're here having this discussion. So what if we have a shitty ad for a week or two, at this point, it's better than nothing.

This is a suggestion, but SirC: just promote Wimali already, stay on as dev, but shift your focus to more community-wide efforts like advertising and server growth and development. I HIGHLY doubt anyone will complain if Wim is made RoF Admin at this point, besides Wim himself.

Voting
This ties into advertising, but it's a different beast. There are so many options with this. Yes, like Notme points out, staff voting can help, but we shouldn't rely on it.

We need to give our players a REASON to vote aside from supporting the server. There's a whole plethora of voting plugins available that do a plethora of different things. I saw one that awarded everyone if the total vote exceeded a threshold. Just an idea.

Suggestions: Create - neat cosmetic effects for a time or unlocked by monthly votes. Currency. RoF - TOKENS, COOKIES, ITEMS, COSMETICS, NICKNAMES, LEAVE MESSAGES, FREE RANK UP IF YOU VOTE EVERY DAY IN A MONTH, THERE'S SO MUCH. AoD - Mentioned above, I think there's larger issues on the plate at the moment, we can revisit this later. LoP - money, possibly items, in moderation.

Other Servers
Please please please: I'm fine with the community's focus being on Minecraft for a bit, but we need to remember that there are other games that might benefit us and we have other groups in our community that aren't big on MC. Just because our focus is on MC doesn't mean we can't work on other things too.

TTT is a big part of our community too and shouldn't be ostracized like its it's own separate community, it needs just as much support and attention from admins as the MC servers do. I asked Inffy this, but again: TTT - what do you need help with? Advertising, staffing, surplus funds to get a neat gmod script? Anything?

There's a lot of other games too that we can look at, it'd be best to find ones that don't require an excess amount of over watching. Starbound? Factorio? Gmod gamemodes (DarkRP, Deathrun, Stalker, Prophunt, there's so many)?

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I do believe that SirC's comments are just being sarcastic about how he is bad at advertising but really, list to me what this advertising team has done so far?
I'm not sarcastic for once. I'll admit I've done a pretty poor job, but with a lot of people being in school and being busy at the moment it is difficult. Keep in mind that things are not instant though, and things like videos take time. Just because you can't see it, it doesn't mean progress isn't being made, however slow it may be.
- For all vote-based outlets, follow a weekly schedule to update or improve the server postings we have there. As far as the free ones are concerned, why NOT be on every single one available?
That would be great, but you don't see every server being on every vote site for a reason. If we went on a ton of vote sites (20, let's say), we'd have to have tiny rewards per vote to balance it out, and no one wants that. Then on the other end of it all, if you want lots and lots of rewards, you damage the length of time people spend on the server in total - they'd reach the top, get bored and leave. 4 or 6 would have to be max.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
We tend to get a noticeable amount of new players who wander on to our servers. What if, rather than looking at ways we can get our name out there, we work on player retention?

What if:
a) We gave a quick on-server poll to all new players upon their first 1-3 logins in the lobby, where we ask "How did you find out about EscRes?" and let them answer in the chat - even if it's voluntary, enough responses will let us know where players are coming from - from this, dedicate whatever kind of resources we have to maximize the effectiveness of these outlets
b) New players on RoF, AoD, whatever, are given starter kits or some kind of handicap coming into playing so that they are in many ways superplayers for a bit - this will increase the level by which they enjoy the server and stay. The question here is how much of the integrity of the gameplay are you willing to sacrifice to allow new players to enjoy it more? In my opinion, it's worth making new players significantly more powerful on our PvX servers in order to draw them in
c) Much like Infected did with TTT, incentivize joining the forums for in-game currency. If someone spends more time doing something, they will become more attached to it - putting them through the signup process increases the likelihood of them joining. I don't have any statistics behind this of course, but I think it's completely logical

Hex

Keyboard & Tech Content Creator
Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
Gmod gamemodes (DarkRP, Deathrun, Stalker, Prophunt, there's so many)?
I guess I'd also like to throw out there that I have a DarkRP dev server I mess around on, that has a lot done already, I'd have to fix a few bugs and I'd probably need some player input, etc, but if we ever wanted to expand into that gamemode I could definitely help out.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ogarci

Haysagar

AoD Con
Reaction score
We don't have to be in top 10, top 100 would be nice place to be. I think more people would join us, if we were on top 100.
Have you even checked to see how many votes it takes to get in the top 100 right now? Then compare it to our current votes. Escaperestart doesn't have the numbers to compete with the top servers on that website. You're better of paying for a sponsored spot on the website, but I'm not sure how that works.

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
Have you even checked to see how many votes it takes to get in the top 100 right now? Then compare it to our current votes. Escaperestart doesn't have the numbers to compete with the top servers on that website. You're better of paying for a sponsored spot on the website, but I'm not sure how that works.
We've done paid reddit ads on /r/minecraft, but I'm sure doing ones on voting websites might actually get us a few more players. There's a handful of websites that offer an advertisers spot, and it's right near the top of the page, so I imagine we might get a few clicks out of it.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
To avoid confusion, the middle part of my original post was the direction I want to take the community in, disregarding whether it's achievable or not. It's so that we can make decisions to move towards that goal.

Hexical_ and Later_Gator
It'd be awesome but if we want to host those servers than you guys probably have to develop it. I've talked to Hex more about his idea so I know he can develop it himself but I'm not sure how much you can help Later. Personally I know very little about those games but I am willing to help set up things and let you use forums/discord where it's useful. Just send all CAs a PM if you want to plan it further.

Regarding voting, it should be more fun to vote. It has been discussed for a while but we never got to it, we should 100% add more (fun) rewards for voting and also for registering on the forums. If we just let players on our servers they won't be part of community and therefore won't stick around for long. Voting is also important to get more attention for new players looking for a server.

I think right now SirComputer and I should focus on working out the previous 2 points. SirC should let RoF mainly be managed by someone else until at least these things are taken care of.

It's also important to keep giving feedback on all our current servers which form the basis of our community. They're all pretty good but not perfect. We still have to find a way to balance our Minecraft servers as it's not working great at the moment.

D

Deleted member 4601

RoF gets a lot of new players almost everyday. Most of them don't stay - the join the game either when it's empty and there's no one to guide them, or when there's a lot of people and no one really pays attention to them.

Sometimes they stay for a round or two out of interest, but as far as gameplay goes, it doesn't engage people enough. People can get confused over things like the rankup sign because after they realize that the tutorial is kinda long, they sprint all the way to the end, ignoring every single sign, including the big armour stand ones, which includes the rankup sign.

Just wanted to tell y'all that whatever we're doing is working - people have been finding their way to our server, but it's just not appealing enough, somehow.

• Agree
Reactions: Hex

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
Hexical_ and Later_Gator
It'd be awesome but if we want to host those servers than you guys probably have to develop it. I've talked to Hex more about his idea so I know he can develop it himself but I'm not sure how much you can help Later. Personally I know very little about those games but I am willing to help set up things and let you use forums/discord where it's useful. Just send all CAs a PM if you want to plan it further.
Im always down to host and dev a garrysmod gamemode. Like ive said before i even have a gamemode thats pretty much 80% finished, but id really need player input, testers, if you will. Either that or id like to know what most people are interested in so i can get to work on trying out that certain gamemode.

EDIT: I've also been pointed out that Infected_alien8_ could run another gmod gamemode if he pleases, which i'm all for =). I just think expanding more into the gmod community is a good idea, since it has such a far and wide player base, and inffy is a great admin for TTT so I imagine he wouldn't have troubles cooking up something else.

Last edited:

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Well its long term goal - currently we are 102/415/592 place for MinecraftForums/PlanetMinecraft/MinecraftServers respectively.
For MinecraftForums reaching top 100 is very easy. If we had smart vote reminder, then we could be even in top 75 if not in top 50.
For PlanetMinecraft doubling average votecount would send us in to top 300 - top 200 region. (server on top 100 has around 760 votes)
For MinecraftServer doubling votecount would sent us in top 400 region.(server on top 100 has almost 2100 votes)
So minecraftforums is best place to compete.

• Agree

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
I hate to double post, and I apologize for the lengthy post too, but we seriously need to consider going into other games.

It seems that everyone has the mentality that its almost impossible to expand further into other games, either do to lack of people wanting to run it, or just not having enough available resources. Well, to be frank, that mentality is kinda getting old. We have a very diverse community, and I guarantee that we have people who are willing to step up and run a server for this community (me myself being one).

Hell, back in the name change thread (oh god that shitstorm) people weren't fond of it, because we were practically saying we only run one other server (though we had a gmod server), and were practically minecraft based still (which we are atm don't get me wrong, its where most of our players come from), but the idea that we cant expand was really strong in that thread from the supporters of the name change back, hell I even supported it, saying that we weren't really expanding into other games. Well, its that mentality that is really holding us back.

I've started typing this because an old player joined the temp SMP today asking what exactly happened, to the name and everything. I tried explaining we were trying to expand but it was hard. He then explained to me that that's the mentality everyone has been holding lately, and quite frankly, it hit me like a sack of brick. I want to see EscRes grow into a nice gaming community, I want to see us stray away from minecraft and try new things (even if they're risky). I'm sure everybody else does too, but this mentality of we cant, is hurting it.

I'm willing to run another gmod server (I'd mainly either do a DarkRP or PropHunt) if anyone is interested (and if its okay with Infected_alien8_ since he is the main gmod guy and he should have a first chance at that anyways) or even a Rust server. If no one knows what Rust is, it is a survival based game that is super super popular, and really easy maintenance. It's fun, and it could be a very good chance at introducing new players into our community. I've ran servers for both of these games, though my garrysmod server was much more popular with 35-40 people almost everyday, while my Rust server struggled, since there are a lot of the same servers, and its hard to make it stand out from others. tnmjimbob and even Vatumok have seen what I can do with gmod.
QUICK EDIT: I also have a staff team that I am still really close with that helped my gmod server become what it was, and they would be fully willing to come on and help me manage another gmod server.

Minecraft is an amazing game, with an amazing community, but there's more games out there with equivalent communities, hell even bigger ones. If we aren't going to try out other games, what was even the point in changing the name? What was the point in telling our players we wanted to expand into other games? How is it fair to say we were gonna expand, but we've only tried on other server? The overhaul was nice sure, but we could have at least planned further ahead, and maybe had more people lined up to try out other servers.

Again, I'm sorry for the lengthy post, but I just want to get things rolling again, because we need to consider other games badly.

Last edited:

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm willing to run another gmod server (I'd mainly either do a DarkRP or PropHunt) if anyone is interested (and if its okay with Infected_alien8_ since he is the main gmod guy and he should have a first chance at that anyways)
Oh yeah absolutely, you don't have to ask my permission at all (but thank you!) - if you think you can make it work and have enough interest then I say give it a shot.

• Thank You

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
Oh yeah absolutely, you don't have to ask my permission at all (but thank you!) - if you think you can make it work and have enough interest then I say give it a shot.
thanks man :)! I just wanted to make sure, as I would never want to impede on any of your future plans or anything like that.

Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
thanks man :)! I just wanted to make sure, as I would never want to impede on any of your future plans or anything like that.
A new Garry's Mod server was planned back when TTT was doing really well, and the plan was to open up prophunt and deathrun event servers to get a feel for the interest for them to decide on which to open full time with me being the admin for it. We opened the prophunt one but the deathrun one is still in progress by tnm, but if you think you could open up a server and run that with enough people interested then we could go with that instead if tnmjimbob is okay with it too.

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
A new Garry's Mod server was planned back when TTT was doing really well, and the plan was to open up prophunt and deathrun event servers to get a feel for the interest for them to decide on which to open full time with me being the admin for it. We opened the prophunt one but the deathrun one is still in progress by tnm, but if you think you could open up a server and run that with enough people interested then we could go with that instead if tnmjimbob is okay with it too.
I briefly talked to him about it about a couple months ago. I even have a server thats kinda done. It's definitely up to you two, because if you are planning on new things I wouldn't want to ruin that :). The rust server could still be a thing that I could run!

Reactions: Infected_alien8_