Just some minor issues

Terre936

Reaction score
AoD is a really really fun server, the best I've played on. However, sometimes there can also be some things to fix.

This isn't a rant or anything, just felt like pointing some things out so that other people can realize some of these issues. That way the game can be even more enjoyable

1. FFA

The game mode is fun but a lot of the times it's meh. Most of the time people choose it because they prefer it over the other map. The game mode isn't also very fun to the new players that join and they leave majority of the time because they get constantly killed and also not knowing what to do.

2. Kill steals.

This is an issue in Zombie, but also mostly in FFA. People complain when they get their kill stolen especially when you get almost every hit in and one person comes in and hits them once, then bam, they get credited for the kill.

3. Spawn Killing

This issue seems to fall mostly on FFA but it can also happen in CTF. Some spawns on FFA are in the wide open space of the map and it doesn't stand out like it's supposed to. On CTF, you spawn in a place that is near the flag like in Collosal and jump down to where most of the action takes place. Someone sees you and shoots you while you're falling down only because they don't want to get killed.

4. Make gameplay better for fewer players on/when one person is

This would be useful so that the few people that are on in the very late night or morning have a reason to stay on/make them want to stay on. For example, the round ends and 2 really big maps come into the voting. Suddenly, a map like Echo Grotto comes on (I don't hate it, it's actually really fun when a lot of people are on) and it makes these 3 or 4 players want to leave because of its size.

Maps that can be improved on

1. 2fort

This map makes a lot of people rage. The spawns are in spots where you can easily get spawn killed. There are also only 2 ways into the other base and one bridge to get to it. The bridge is a common spot to camp and it's almost impossible to cap a flag with many on.

2. Safari

This map is really fun when there are a lot of players on. When there are a lot of people on, the map is never in rotation for whatever reason but even when it is it doesn't get chosen. If the map is chosen with only 2-6 players on its hell for the first hunter or two. So yeah, a really fun map if it was chosen more often with lots on.

3. Farmland

The map is too open and the massive amount of wheat makes players lag a lot. It's an okay map when there are a lot of people on as it feels like a warzone but the lag issue is really what ruins the map imo. It even made raxo2222 lag to hell lol.

4. Radikal

It's a really cool idea for infection but it doesn't really work tbh. The jump pads aren't 100% reliable and the way the blocks are put together makes the speed and jump hard to use.

5. Flatcrew Ruins

The map seems a bit too clustered together and it's hard to get around with all the random blocks, slabs and holes on the ground. The buildings interior are also clamped close together and can get annoying when getting chased or in a fight. It's also very hard for Hunters when all the survivors camp at the top of the buildings.

Minor issues in maps

1. Pipeway Panic

It's a fun map but it would be better if there was a better way to catch up to people with the flags. It's really the only issue I see atm but other than that it's a fun map to play.

2. Isolated

The spawns don't have anything to make it stand out, resulting in spawn killing issues.

3. New York City

This map looks awesome and I love the spawns, the only problem is the lag in the map that others get. Maybe remove a tiny portion of the buildings so that it doesn't lag as much?

Just thougut I could point out some stuff that could use some fixing. I will make a post soon on here on some suggestions

Terre936

Reaction score
The spawn issue in free for all could be fixed by having a similar spawn to the ones in classic tnt. You would spawn in a room with a portal in it and get spawned into a random spot in the map.

For CTF, my suggestion is to spawn in a bedrock box or some sort of box in the air or away from the common pathway that the other team takes so that you don't get spawn killed as soon as you fall into the map. This happens in maps like Terminal and Collosal.

Reactions: asaechao

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
Hey terre, thanks for pointing these problems out,

1. FFA

The game mode is fun but a lot of the times it's meh. Most of the time people choose it because they prefer it over the other map. The game mode isn't also very fun to the new players that join and they leave majority of the time because they get constantly killed and also not knowing what to do.
I can totally agree with this, FFA is a nice gamemode but sometimes just lacks the logic for new players playing their first round.

2. Kill steals.

This is an issue in Zombie, but also mostly in FFA. People complain when they get their kill stolen especially when you get almost every hit in and one person comes in and hits them once, then bam, they get credited for the kill.
This is something you can't fix or change (at the least give more orbs to the player that did the most damage) because it will always happen, killsteals is something you will need to accept.

3. Spawn Killing

This issue seems to fall mostly on FFA but it can also happen in CTF. Some spawns on FFA are in the wide open space of the map and it doesn't stand out like it's supposed to. On CTF, you spawn in a place that is near the flag like in Collosal and jump down to where most of the action takes place. Someone sees you and shoots you while you're falling down only because they don't want to get killed.
This is a known problem and as far I know ComputerGuy_ is working on it.

4. Make gameplay better for fewer players on/when one person is

This would be useful so that the few people that are on in the very late night or morning have a reason to stay on/make them want to stay on. For example, the round ends and 2 really big maps come into the voting. Suddenly, a map like Echo Grotto comes on (I don't hate it, it's actually really fun when a lot of people are on) and it makes these 3 or 4 players want to leave because of its size.
Thats a good point too, I would say keep the CTF maps, FFA maps and big zombie and big infection maps out of rotation when there is a small amount of players.

-mastersten

Terre936

Reaction score
Oh yeah about the last thing you said Master, having a way to play mini maps (for example, having some maps classified as mini) when a certain amount of people are on would be a cool idea :D

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
I've been meaning to fix some spawns to put bedrock down in some maps, and I may also spawn particles at the spawns to help. I've also been comtemplating a 3 second or so spawn invincibility in CTF, may try it. One final idea I've just had, would it be a good idea to warn a player if they do shoot too closse to spawn? I can do that if it helps.
Anyway, tl;dr, I'm working on the issue, but there are other things we could try.

BanSwift

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
3. Farmland

The map is too open and the massive amount of wheat makes players lag a lot. It's an okay map when there are a lot of people on as it feels like a warzone but the lag issue is really what ruins the map imo. It even made raxo2222 lag to hell lol.

5. Flatcrew Ruins

The map seems a bit too clustered together and it's hard to get around with all the random blocks, slabs and holes on the ground. The buildings interior are also clamped close together and can get annoying when getting chased or in a fight. It's also very hard for Hunters when all the survivors camp at the top of the buildings.
[bimg=no-lightbox]http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/rupertgrint_0.gif[/bimg]

I suppose that I could remove some of the wheat, but that would involve comp readding the maps. Also, these map weren't designed as maps originally so they do need changing slightly for optimal gameplay. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Unusual_Dood

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
FFA is in general a problem, many people don't like it. I would like it to be replaced with something like FFA elimination. This way it's all about surviving and not killstealing. You'd need to give dead people something to do though.

About spawnkilling I think it would be nice to spawn in a spawn room then by standing on a tile you get teleported randomly on the map in FFA or randomly in a certain area in CTF. Spawns like on Colossal, Prison Camp, 2Forts and Isolated are the biggest problem with spawnkilling. If not this some particles around spawn with a short time of pvp-protection would be nice.

I made a big list of all maps that have problems:
[CTF]
Prison Camp - Spawn is in an awkward place, hard not to spawnkill
Farmland - The wheat is pretty annoying plus you can't easily get out or cross the water.
2Fort - You need to go past spawn to get to the flag, hard not to spawnkill
Colossal - You need to go past spawn to get to the flag, hard not to spawnkill
Pipeway Panic - Players can accidentily/easily get into the enemy spawn and it's hard to kill someone with the flag

[Infection]
Safari - If humans know what they're doing it's almost impossible to catch them. The maps feel too slow too, pretty much like you're waiting out the time.
Radikal - Jumps are cool but the map doesn't really work. It's annoying to walk and jump over the ground. Most people just camp at the very top until the round is over.

[Zombie]
Flatcrew Ruins - There's too many places to hide, the map is way too easy for humans. Also annoying to walkr over the map.
Morse Summit - Too survivor friendly, annoying for 1 zombie that has to walk all the way up only to get shot by infinity bow.
Purgatory - Boats are a bit overpowered, the map is also pretty big. The map is not very bad though.
White Hotel - Feels a bit outdated, not super exciting map.
Contaminated - Annoying map all around. Hunters are weak and often only win because of poison 2. Flame bow is very strong and unfun to play against. Often the last survivor is just chilling in a boat.
Avenguard Keep - Way too survivor friendly, too little food.
Uncharted -Too survivor friendly
Oasis - Feels too big to enjoy, zombies are often not motivated to go all the way to the top.

Last edited: