Journey to Erebor

Have you tried the Fellowship modpack or any other mod packs on the Void launcher?

• Who hasn't?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • What is a 'Void launcher'?

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Using the fellowship modpack, I am heading to Erebor (which, due to the modpack having not seen an update for over 6 months, does not currently exist as anything more than a way point on the map).
This will likely be a long journey, as I literally have to go through the Lone Lands, the Misty Mountains, Mirkwood, and many more potentially dangerous areas.
Unlike last time, I will constantly be on the move, relying on food I get from the Shire to last me long enough to get to Erebor, and I will still continue on if I die, since this is not a hardcore run.
Unlike in "The Hobbit", I will be going through other places, such as the Old Forest, Bree, and maybe even Loth Lorien.

But for now, this is where I am.

P.S, this is a 99% no cheat survival run (I had to cheat a gold ring in to enter Middle Earth due to the better storage mod interfering with the gold ring crafting recipe).

Catcocomics

Reaction score
After Leaving Eriador, I decided to see what Midge Water was like.

Thankfully, it's easy to go around.

Now in the Lone Lands, I notice something: Rabbits, everywhere!

And this is how to hunt them!

About halfway to Weather Top hill, an orc bombardier shows up and makes me wish that my pony could walk backwards a bit more quickly.

Thankfully, this is not a hardcore run, my pony survived with 3 HP, and my backpack is still very much intact.

Reactions: Notme and Enderfive

Catcocomics

Reaction score

Not many trolls in the Trollshaws, it seems. On to the Misty Mountains!
This place is a bit harder to navigate than even the Trollshaws, by shire pony, so I plan to head for the Highpass waypoint to set up a small base I can live at. Once I get there, I'll be moving by foot for until I find a new horse in the Vales of Anduin.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Do feel free to post on this thread, guys. I honestly don't care to see a thread with only my posts in it. Like, any comments or questions about my journey?

Yep, leaving my shire pony behind. Not too much a problem at this point, since I left about half my belongings at the High Pass fast travel point where I plan [spoilers].

Now then, I suppose I should be passing through Mirkwood soon (especially when I fast travel -basically teleport to a point in a region I've visited that has a 2 hour cool down- to some place really close to the edge of Mirkwood)

Also, keep in mind, guys, Middle Earth is huge. My home over in the Misty Mountains, where I left my shire pony, is around X = 32700, z = -5000.

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Running around, and I notice something:

More Rabbits! There are always; Rabbits!
ehh, then again, just means more meat.

And I made it to Mirkwood!

And the spiders there have knees!

Now, there are two ways to go through Mirkwood. The first way is to go straight through, slashing at every spider that comes at you and avoiding the webs and stuff. The second way is to go atop the trees. This way is a bit dull, but you kind of don't want to take the first way without, I don't know, maybe a small army?
Well, every now and again, some Wood Elf Tower ruins will pierce through the leaves.

Really though, I can't wait to get out of Mirkwood.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Not on this version, but I know that the updated version has rivers accurate to the books and a better "alignment" system.
Well, ok, this version does have fast travel points for famous places (such as Weather Top, Bree, Erebor, and Long Lake), but there's nothing of interest there (for example, I went through Rivendell and it was just normal Lone Lands).
But chances are, the updated version of the mod in question does have actual landmarks and the map is complete.

But still, this is pretty cool. I just wish the Atlanticraft people would update this modpack again.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Found the wood elves.

They don't seem particularly friendly at this point in time, though.

...and the door here seems to have been placed at a very intelligent location.

Finally! Made it out of Mirkwood. Really don't think I'll miss this place a whole lot.

Well, even here, rabbits! You'd think at first that there would be very little life, save for grass, in this region, except that this probably takes place over 60 years after the events in "The Hobbit".

And welcome to Erebor, the Lonel- wait, there's no mountain here! Come to think of it, there's no sign of dwarves for miles!
Well, I think it might be a good time to see the Iron Hills, since Erebor doesn't seem to exist.

Yeah, journey's kind of not over until we have a nice dwarf kingdom.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
So, after finding the place where Erebor is supposed to be just another bit of wilderness, I head up to the Iron Hills.

Along the way, I find a horse. This horse is fast and just about halved the travel time to the Iron Hills.
When I got to the Iron Hills, I met a wandering Elf Trader. Unfortunately, I had not massacred enough orcs to trade with them.

The Iron Hills are loaded with Dwarf mines and Dwarf Towers. I found a mine and started mining for materials to make bombs with, so that I could better train wreck orcs.

After sufficiently stomping on orcs, the Dwarves are now willing to trade with me.

Well, There's really not much left for me to do in the Iron Hills. Now that I have been over there, I can fast travel over to them. My FT cool down had just ended, so I decided to go back to the High Pass and build my home.

By the way, this is my front lawn. Isn't it just nice and snowy?

Also, here's my front door. It would have been harder to see if I had not left one of the doors open, as these are Dwarven doors, which are basically stone. These doors also glow faintly at night when a player with good alignment gets near them.

I'm probably going to go between here and Iron Hills for a while so I can start getting dwarves to live here. And I should probably go to the Shire as well, since I'm starting to run a little low on food.
Good thing I killed all those rabbits.

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
So last time, I showed you guys the outside of my little dwarf base. Now for the inside!

I've got my self a decent little smithy thing going on in the main room, as well as brewing. You may also notice that this is the room I sleep in.

These barrels in this screenshot may look a bit different than that of the first one. That is because these are LoTR mod barrels and the round-looking ones are from Growth Craft. I currently have one keg of Vodka (potent), two kegs of Perry (basically cider, but from pears. one Light, one Potent), one keg of Cherry Liquer (Potent), and one keg of Cider (Potent). Drink anything but the Light Perry, and you'll be drunk instantly.

Now, here's the stair way to my mine. Can you see the bottom?

It's a long drop. I haven't jumped the entire length of it, but I don't think that even feather falling IV could save you.

And lastly, here's something I found in my mine: Mithril
Also known as True Silver, this stuff is the best metal you can use for tools, weapons, and armor, in the LoTR mod.
Mithril is better than Diamons, having a base durability of 2479 (displays as 2478).

The wiki for the Lord of the Rings mod states that this ore can only be mined with Diamond, Dwarven, or Mithril Pickaxes, or by a Dwarven Mattock, though there seems to be a bug in this version, as the Dwarven Pickaxe cannot mine Mithril ore, but the Dwarven Mattock can.
Mithril ore also can only be smelted in Dwarven Forges.
This ore is also why I came to the Misty Mountains in the first place.
In the updated version of the Lord of the Rings mod, you can only find Mthril in the Misty Mountains, though in the version I'm currently playing on, you can find Mithril anywhere, it's just that much more common in the Misty Mountains. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got Mithril things to be a Making.
And perhaps next time, I'll have a treasury to show off... maybe.

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
that's the alignment bar. Kill orcs and other evil things to move the ring to the left/get good alignment points.
Kill hobbits, elves, and other good things to move the ring right/get evil alignment points.
You can do other things to alter your alignment (like get two hobbits to marry each other).

This is alignment bar is replaced by several bars that measure how well different factions (wood elves, dwarves, mordor, etc...) think of you in the Lord of The Rings mod menu in later versions.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I've been a little busy during the New Year's Eve/New Year's Day.

Did not stop me making this small treasure room.

I went to see the elves of Loth Lorien.

It's nice to be able to say that this place exists.

And it turns out that I now have enough good alignment to hire some people.

Except, I didn't bother to bring my money. Oh well, I want dwarves anyways.

I've filled my treasure room with pretty much what I could.

This will probably take months to fill completely.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
So, I finally have a post, now that it is the weekend (though technically, it's still Friday.

Anyways, on to the latest screenshots:

I am now using Ars Magica 2 spells! My first spell is basically a mining spell. This one mines as though iron tools.

And slowly, but surely, my treasure room fills. You may notice that I have a lot of gold blocks; more than enough to make a notch apple. This is because I went back to the overworld briefly and found some modded ruins with gold and iron ore blocks lying everywhere.

You may also notice that I am holding 5 gold blocks in my hand and have not put them in the treasure room. This is because I need them for this:

This is the thing I use to make spells. I can use any vanilla ore block for the "caps", and some Ars Magica 2 ore blocks, though Gold is the best I can afford right now.

Now, one thing that I have to have, being an anthropomorphic two-tailed fox clad in green, is the ability to fly.

This here, is a... thing... I can use to convert liquid essence into Neutral essence, which I will need if I want to make a spell that lets me fly.

And finally, I now show you one of the three farms I currently have: my rice farm.

This farm's only purpose is to let me craft onigiri, and to brew sake, both of which are from the Growth Craft mod.

I think I shall do 1-3 posts each week, so expect to see one or more when a weekend rolls around... at the speed of sound...

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
"Look at me guys! I'm Gandalf!"

Well, no I'm not Gandalf. I just finished making my frost bolt spell which is basically ranged armor piercing.

Anyways, I have some other, magic based plans for today: build a new portal.

This portal will require me to go mining in Lothlorien so I can get some Quendite

Also, while mining in Lothlorien...

I found some Mithril.

Well, good portal has been made. Requires 16 quendite, this thing here, though with water in it, and toss an elanor flower in it, and you get this. There is also an evil and a neutral portal you can make to go between Middle Earth and over world. evil portal requires lava and naurite gems, which are to be found in Mordor, while neutral portals are created by crafting a golden ring (which in this modpack, you'll get a key ring due to better storage mod incompatibility) and throwing it into lava or fire.

Also, this portal will hurt orcs and players with an alignment score below 0. I think it also glows at night.

So, let's see where it takes us!

An ocean with a pirate ship! I'll go raid it some time when it's not a quarter to midnight.

So, as I stated earlier, I went mining. I had some left over quendite, so I made blocks of it and put it in here. I also now have a diamond block, the bronze is almost over-flowing, and boy, like that Mithril connected texture!

Nice to see the treasure room start to fill up, though I can still see the floor. I'd likely make an NPC wand and mob Cloner, but those items are so ridiculously over powered, I could use them to fill this room to the brim with Mithril blocks in less than an hour. So, not making infinite Mithril block grinder-mobs.

And lastly, I got myself a mallorn sapling from Lothlorien. Eventually, it will grow up and I can get mallorn nuts from it, which I can use to brew murovor.

And that's all for tonight, but if you want to see what I mean when I say that the NPC wand and mob cloner are OP items, just ask and I'll make a video as soon as I can, showing you guys just what insanity this modpack can have when mucked about with.