Is there such a thing as free will?

Do you personally believe free will exists?

• Total voters

Tamsanity

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the class I'm taking.
We're not discussing this in class and it hasn't even been brought up. I decided to ask your opinion on it because I was watching a documentary on philosophy in which they asked several people the same question and their responses varied a lot, and I found it interesting and decided to ask one of the questions which was in the documentary.

sorry

zezmi

The noob himself
Reaction score
I was thinking about writing a very large statement out, that no one would read, so tl;dr:
From a reformed Christian point of view: We make decisions, such as playing Minecraft or not, or eating lunch or not, yet God has predestined some things to happen, such as you or I being going to Heaven or not. So in the end yes and no, it is not black and white, few things truly are.

• Agree
Reactions: FrenchSanta12

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
"Of course we have free will, we have no choice but to have it." - Christopher Hitchens

The common mistake here is whether you mean freedom of will, which would be the ability to make decisions without guidance or coercion, or free will, which would imply the lack of cost associated with either having your own will, obtaining a persons will, or obtaining a person named will.

Consequences are a universal fact. They don't hinder the existance of freedom of will, you hinder your exercise of freedom of will when you account for them. This doesn't change the fact that you have freedom of will.

Of course, if your definition is the latter, then I don't know of any governing body that would recognize a will without legal authorization, which costs money everywhere that I know of. That doesn't mean I'd strike it as impossible, just that more research would need to be done. Then again, you don't generally need to offer anything of value to obtain the will of another. I really don't know if adoption is free in any place where they'd have a child named will though.

Emues7

Uranus
Reaction score
I think that everyone exists as free will but in fact your brain is not controlling you but sometimes the environment has a part for example if I chose to use maybeline's mascara one day that might not be free will but in fact after I use it I look amazing

Reactions: Swate

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score
Too many limitations block us from choosing and doing what we actually aspire to do. Perfect and typical example for this- education; people might aspire to choose to study, but they have to get money, specific grades and experience in order to get accepted into their choice of education/class/subject, they can't just choose to study something and university without completing previous steps. If you choose to express your personal opinion out loud, that is possible, but that's the freedom of speech, which in some aspect is a part of free will. Let's say, you can even be homeless (that is a choice you can make, this does kick into free will )so that you would no need to pay taxes, you will no longer be dependent on others, but in order to get basic life resources, you would still need to be bounded by finance, authorization, luck and even kindness from other human beings, so you would still not be able to fully do what you wish too (And of-course, if you do something violent, you'd be tied up and faced with forces just like any human being on planet earth in this century). This also clashes with the word "independence "; free will and independence are connected to each other, and should be taken in consideration. We have very specific rules about what we can and can not do nowadays, if we do something wrong that's not acceptable by society, we get punished; tickets, warnings, jail etc.

What is believed today as free will is just simply the option to choose from few specific options, and that also depends on the social status people are at, financial level and success. We have to consider the law. A couple of hundred years ago people did have free will, well.. most of the time. There were not many rules, no force majeure, and people could technically do what they wished to do (They might still face some consequences such as rivalry, revenge, shame and in some cases even death! ). Especially with nowadays advances in technology and knowledge about humanity, it's very hard to break the law, if that's what your free will wishes to do. As long as your options to choose from are something possible and achievable, sure you can call that free will (to choose between options that are given to you ) but if you'll do something that is not acceptable by society, you will have to be ready to face charges, and would that be really worth it? One free will and then be limited and not even have the slightest chance of free will later on?

This subject is serious discussion material, can't express actual thoughts in only a paragraph or two.

Last edited:

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
Well, a possible response as to what the point is,
you still have something to fulfill, a purpose. Regardless of your status of free will.​
A cog in a machine has a purpose but not a conscience. If I choose to believe that my actions are not my own, but just an elaborate amalgamation of previous actions and experiences then do I really matter?

Reactions: SparklyMuffinz

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I was thinking about this again today, actually, and I decided that although our brains may be bound by our nature/nurture experiences and traits, we are in complete control of our minds under these boundaries. Just as you cannot will yourself to fly, you may not be able to will yourself to kill someone, whether it be because you were raised knowing it was very wrong, or you are merely a compassionate person; one who could sense the wrongness of seizing a life.

That, and we have utter freedom of thought. I can think about a snake with wings slaying a huge dog with a sword made of cheese, and there's nothing you can do to stop me. If the consciousness resides in the brain, as it is decided that it must, then free will is located in the brain, which cannot be restrained like a limb or joint may.

Actually looking at that last sentence I'm wondering if there are methods of removing free will; I don't remember if a drug I heard mentioned once to remove free will was factional or otherwise. While I assume it is a fantasy, even if the free will could be removed, the answer at the core it that yes, possessing free will is the default that we have. You may remove it for a time, but we began with it and we will re-obtain it eventually.

What I got caught up on, though was what is colloquially referred to as 'brainwashing'. While brainwashing doesn't describe having a pink laser shone at your brain to make you a zombie, it can be highly influential in a person's choices. Actual brainwashing is how people in some places are raised: to be fed information about their environment, possibly incorrect or skewed, but they will not know this as it is treated as the truth by the society in general. To put it shortly, they know nothing else. However, I believe that no matter your nature or your nurture, your free will can prevail, and you can make the actions you want to, although breaking past your instincts may be difficult. So after pondering the original question for a bit like this, I've decided that I believe that nature and nurture provide a guidelines for what taken actions we will favour over others, but these can be broken. They do not restrict you from doing what you feel you should do.

Do you think that ties in with nature too much? Too bad. I don't know how the brain works deep down and neither do you

JayJay

The Melon
Reaction score
This may be a little late but i still wanna write this, yes, i think free will is almost evreywhere. If it wasn't there, well, you would be forcing yourself to do the action, which i suspect the majority hopefully isn't. I don't have a really strong opinion on this but I will share it :confused:.