Declined [Idea] Saving maps post-round

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
IDEA: Saving RoF round maps

I've suggested this before on the server but have been thinking about it and have a more solid idea. In essence, this idea is quite simple- allow for RoF round maps to be downloaded. Say you’ve just played a round on Halfpipe, built a really cool-looking dam/house, and you want to save it—Now you can just download it and keep it forever.

How it could work

At the end of each round, a schematic could automatically be made of everything within the map boundaries. They could then be available on there for around 36 hours, after which they are deleted forever. This wouldn’t take up much space at all, as they are schematics and they’re only on there for 36 hours. Adding a few new maps would probably take up more space than this.

Advantages
  • Players can download their homes or creations
  • All round maps are archived (I’d download & backup all of them)-- meaning, in 2 years or so, you could go "hey remember that thing we built so many years ago?" and after a bit of digging around, you can visit that very same thing you built.
  • If a (minor) event happens on a map, e.g. rollercoaster on Halcyon, this can be saved for later without needing to do anything (and without accidentally deleting the map)
Disadvantages
  • Players gain access to partial map files
  • Might be difficult to code and implement
  • Most players probably don’t care or don’t need this
Other observations
  • Players can already manually save maps using World Downloader mod although this tends to be not very accurate
This is not really a suggestion but more of an idea I had. Just thought I’d throw it out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mastersten

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Going to have to deny this I'm afraid. We have enough end-round lag as it is and for the amount of times this is going to be used, you don't get much gain out of it. I don't even know how you'd implement this. Sorry!