how to get good at building?

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not a talented builder, but I can still offer advice.
  • Depth - If your exterior walls are flat, you can add depth and focal points such as columns or make window sections stick out of the wall with stairs
  • Block variation -- Try not to use the same block for your whole build. I've seen players that use oak planks all over their house for walls, floors, and ceilings, which end up looking like an oak box. Build each section with a different type of block that complements each other well. This goes for the exterior as well. Be creative and use stairs and slabs in different positions. They add texture and design to your build.
  • Realism -- Think about building a house in real life. Now try doing that on Minecraft. If you have a roof, add support beams to them. This may be silly since the roof won't fall down but the beams add depth and detail.
  • Detail -- This is the most important and can be based on your type of aesthetics and style. There can be a little detail to a lot of detail in a build. Just try to curate what looks best inside and outside.
Overall, you won't get the perfect build on your first try, unless you're super pro and know what you're doing, but when you're building, always step back and see if it looks right. Edit. Step back. Edit again. You can always ask for opinions from other players as well. Have fun!

8bitChap

Reaction score
Don't use flat walls. To be completely honest try a more adv creative server where you can be influenced by a plethora of fantastic builder's styles and experiment off other people's styles until you can get good enough to create your own fully unique ones. Also cobble stone walls.

Reactions: Robo

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Try taking searching for pictures to use as references. Like this one:

Most of my maps are inspired by games like Half-Life and IRL buildings, Just take a rough reference picture and start building using the theme from it,
Listening to music also works, Listening to sad music while building a dungeon, Or listening to heavy combat music when building things like a war zone, I myself listen to the Black Mesa Soundtrack composed by Joel Nielsen,
Also when wanting to make randomized patterns try using the //recplace command using PERCENTAGES, For example: You want a wall currently of stone to be 50% cobblestone and 50% stone, simply select the wall and do this: //replace stone 50%cobblestone,50%stone
This works with everything, just use //replace <Material you wanna replace> <Percentage>%<Block>,<Percentage>%<Block>
(Note: DON'T forget the comma (,))
For details use half-slabs and stairs.
And of course from time to time ask people for advice on your map.

Now *Sigh* Curves, you don't need to be a mathematician for this but knowing the String of Fibonacci helps out with this:
The string of Fibonacci:

Its simple: you start with 0 and 1, you add then and you get 1, you add your current number with the last one: 1+1 = 2 and do the same: 2+1 = 3, And again, 3+2 = , etc etc
How does this help with curves?
Lets say a fairly big but not huge curve,
take 21,
Make a L shape of both sides 21 blocks, then INSIDE of that L shape make another L of 1 fibonacci number lower than the last (13)
You'll get this:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO
XO