Accepted hi yes this was coming soon anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggish

Reaction score
I apologise for making the towers. It's mainly/always me who makes them after all :p

anyway I've made the height limit in my map submission ringfort y 90 so if anyone was to make a tower it would only be about 15 blocks high

Reactions: Fragile

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
I apologise for making the towers. It's mainly/always me who makes them after all :p

anyway I've made the height limit in my map submission ringfort y 90 so if anyone was to make a tower it would only be about 15 blocks high
I bet you didnt reach y256 at contaminated

Edit: I actually don't see the problem here, are survivors not allowed to be creative in ways to survive? Does everyone have to be pvp pro to survive a round?

I completely understand that there are people that are annoyed by the huge towers but I used to see the same people taking advantage of these..

Overall I just agree that insane towers like ones that are found on contaminated or colosseum need to stop but adding these rules about projectiles need to stop.

It's a global fact that you can't satisfy everyone so why not just add a standard height limit like 160 and be done with it before this thread ends in a pointless debate like much other ones in AoD 1.0

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Iggish and Fragile

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
It's a global fact that you can't satisfy everyone so why not just add a standard height limit like 160 and be done with it before this thread ends in a pointless debate like much other ones in AoD 1.0
i would also recommend reading some of the other suggestions and reasons why height limits won't work well before jumping to conclusions

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
i would also recommend reading some of the other suggestions and reasons why height limits won't work well before jumping to conclusions
It's always easy to shout that things won't work. Finding solutions is a totally other thing of course

Edit: If you read these threads you would actually understand that it's not so easy to just ban towers and add new rules

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
It's always easy to shout that things won't work. Finding solutions is a totally other thing of course

Edit: If you read these threads you would actually understand that it's not so easy to just ban towers and add new rules
Actually it is easy to ban towers and add new rules.

Let me give you an example; Spiral towers. We banned those, people got word about it, people stopped making them. There was no real issue to it. If people built them, we told them to get down. If they did, cool. If they didn't, they got warned. Simple.

At one point we changed the definition of what a tower should be (3 blocks wide at least, with railings). If people followed this, cool. If they didn't, the staff came in and modified the tower to abide by the rules. Simple.

And then, we changed it so these towers could only be the longer, slimmer "snake" towers. People had no issue with this actually, as that type of tower was in play already.

And let's not forget the whole /shop tower fiasco. That had some rule changes in itself, wound up breaking as a command entirely, and was never discussed again.

All-in-all, coming from a Staff member with over a year and a half experience, it's entirely possible to change some rules in a minor way and get rid of towers. (Also, staff have some useful commands to get people off of towers while we destroy them, should we decide to ban towers altogether. Isn't that neat?)

It isn't like we're making a complete re-working of the rule-book. It's one thing, that can easily be modified if we see fit.

Simple.

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
Actually it is easy to ban towers and add new rules.

Let me give you an example; Spiral towers. We banned those, people got word about it, people stopped making them. There was no real issue to it. If people built them, we told them to get down. If they did, cool. If they didn't, they got warned. Simple.

At one point we changed the definition of what a tower should be (3 blocks wide at least, with railings). If people followed this, cool. If they didn't, the staff came in and modified the tower to abide by the rules. Simple.

And then, we changed it so these towers could only be the longer, slimmer "snake" towers. People had no issue with this actually, as that type of tower was in play already.

And let's not forget the whole /shop tower fiasco. That had some rule changes in itself, wound up breaking as a command entirely, and was never discussed again.

All-in-all, coming from a Staff member with over a year and a half experience, it's entirely possible to change some rules in a minor way and get rid of towers. (Also, staff have some useful commands to get people off of towers while we destroy them, should we decide to ban towers altogether. Isn't that neat?)

It isn't like we're making a complete re-working of the rule-book. It's one thing, that can easily be modified if we see fit.

Simple.
The spiral towers with 1 block on sides were smart holes in the system but towers in general are a total strategy, people that arent good in pvp use those to stay away from the 1v1 sword battles and you want to remove this strategy? Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt that a reason people will leave? Isnt this breaking one of the main rules you accepted to follow: it has to be fun for players.

What are the consequences of removing towers? Have you actually thought about that? What will happen when towers are removed? Will this improve the gameplay what Ooglie101 says or does this make it a 24/7 hunter win

You tell me

Terre936

Reaction score
im 50/50 on this. i personally hate towers only when there are a lot of people on it and there are only about 4 Hunters against 6 in a very high tower. however if the tower isnt much in size then its not that much of a problem. i mean there a lot of places where you can make towers right? so if the survivors can make this tower, why cant Hunters make their own staircase using the same resources? I know in some cases it is very hard to do that and could take a few deaths but most of the time its not that hard once you try it.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
The spiral towers with 1 block on sides were smart holes in the system but towers in general are a total strategy, people that arent good in pvp use those to stay away from the 1v1 sword battles and you want to remove this strategy? Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt that a reason people will leave? Isnt this breaking one of the main rules you accepted to follow: it has to be fun for players.

What are the consequences of removing towers? Have you actually thought about that? What will happen when towers are removed? Will this improve the gameplay what Ooglie101 says or does this make it a 24/7 hunter win

You tell me
This makes absolutely no sense.

In almost any game players try to find the optimal way to win. Yeah, towers are totally a strategy. The problem is that the optimal way to win is often times an unfair way and this is the case with towers too. It makes it too easy to win, sometimes even guaranteed, for humans while hunters cannot do much even if they are at a big number advantage.

And you're totally right, the main rule is that is has to be fun for players only you forgot one part: ALL players. Towers are not fun to play against as hunter, you have to walk a looong time to reach the start of the tower just to get knocked down to your death over and over again. I've seen a lot of people give up because of towers (including myself) out of despair. Banning towers does not directly remove fun for you as a human, unless you solely rely on abusing that unfair strategy.

Hunters winning all the time???
I am by no means a good PvPer and out of self respect I never stay on a tower and I occasionally survive rounds. Now a good PvPer would be able to win a lot more games. Even if the games were mostly won by hunters, what would be the problem? Surviving would be an awesome feat and would make you feel good.

• Agree
Reactions: JtTorso and Love

Fragile

Not Former Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.clubpenguin.com

You tell me
We have explicitly said we do NOT want to remove towers. But, think as a hunter for me. Someone builds a tall tower with a long, winding path at the end. You get close to the enclosure, and suddenly- you're shot, and you fall, and you die. You try 3-4 more times, but still, the same thing happens.
Isn't that a reason people will leave?
Removing projectiles would make it more fun, in my mind. Survivors would have to find new ways to build towers that are effective. Also, we don't have a formal rule saying to "keep it fun", but we do it anyhow.
I have thought about the consequences of towers, and obviously, so have the other AoD staff members, which is why towers WILL NOT now or ever be removed. Trust me, people have suggested this, a lot. There are no major repercussions of being like "eh, yeah, don't shoot him off that tower." And when AoD is in 1.9, swords will take the place of bows on towers, since we can't remove swords from towers.
If removing towers entirely were to happen, maps would be edited to assure survivors could still survive. Don't worry, Mastersten, we only have the best in mind.

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score

You tell me
Like Fragile said, being shot off numerous times without fail will provide a sense of "this is impossible, fuck this, I'm leaving."

The underlined bit in this seems a bit redundant, considering towers, for the attacking force, are not fun. Might be fun for the defending force, and hey, who cares about the other side of the argument, yeah? Fun =////= overpowered.

That last bit? We won't know until we try. We can't give you definitive statistics on whether or not this will "make it a 24/7 Hunter win" if we don't test out these theories first.

Status
Not open for further replies.