Accepted hi yes this was coming soon anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragile

Not Former Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.clubpenguin.com
Towers have always been pretty heated. It's been suggested to remove them, to require two ways up, and to keep them legal.
I honestly think they should remain legal, but perhaps with a few rule changes:
- The tower must not be more than 10 blocks above the starting point
- Hunters can use any method besides block glitching to get to a tower, but survivors must have easily-accessible towers that don't require parkour or placing blocks (And yes, I know that this would be a very minor rule change)
- At the top of the tower, the platform must be at least 4x4 blocks. The platform can be enclosed, but the inside area still has to be at least 4x4 blocks

Even though just banning towers would be easier than new rules to follow, it ensures that people are still able to use multiple strategies instead of just hiding (Admittedly, making a tower is the only good strategy for some maps. In fact, Buildbox was made to use towers.)

Those are just my thoughts, perhaps someone else has a different idea.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: Iggish and Friendy

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
Success doesn't necessarily come from breakthrough innovation but from flawless execution. A great strategy alone won't win a game or a battle; the win comes from basic blocking and tackling.
yes mr. meaningful but that's kinda different when you have lesser equipment and are trying to climb a giant staircase in the sky while being showered with arrows, leading to death by archery or fall damage

• Haha
Reactions: Iggish

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
I'm all for making it so you can't shoot projectiles off of a tower. That's a lot easier than having to go through and remove infinity bows or doing something like that. It used to be towers haven't been that influential on the gameplay but now it seems that players, without any hesitation, will make a tower that is much too high up to even think about doing anything.

One solution we had in AoD 1.0 was to make the map ceiling lower, causing towers to be smaller. I can work on putting in this system of a lower map roof once we're in a position to do everything more thoroughly, if a good amount of the community agrees with this idea.

Fragile

Not Former Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.clubpenguin.com
Like Aika said, our best choice is to not allow projectiles to be shot off towers, and that would mean ALL projectiles. Arrows, Snowballs, Fishing Rods, etc. I also think a ceiling *might* be a good idea, however, people could still build out from there at the same altitude, which could get extremely annoying.

• Disagree
Reactions: Friendy

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
We can define a height limit for both teams in config, no issues there. Before I change the rules, can AoDStaff please reply, I want to make sure everyone agrees.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I'm all for making it so you can't shoot projectiles off of a tower. That's a lot easier than having to go through and remove infinity bows or doing something like that. It used to be towers haven't been that influential on the gameplay but now it seems that players, without any hesitation, will make a tower that is much too high up to even think about doing anything.

One solution we had in AoD 1.0 was to make the map ceiling lower, causing towers to be smaller. I can work on putting in this system of a lower map roof once we're in a position to do everything more thoroughly, if a good amount of the community agrees with this idea.
The only realistic suggestion here, if you set it as a rule there will ALWAYS be people who break the rule, people who complain that the rule was broken and just being more of a nuisance in general, however a simple fix is to literally lower the height of maps. That way you can choose how high the towers go; although I believe that the towers shouldn't be too low, the whole point of being a survivor is to survive, it isn't supposed to be easy for hunters to kill the survivors! However the towers that were 160 blocks high, then had three towers expanding off them with 3 separate groups on were just ridiculous and should be banned yes, but hunters, in a lot of maps I've seen tend not to use some initiative and take a different route or find a creative way of getting up rather than simply running up stairs and dying, try collecting some logs and making your own staircase etc.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
I like the idea of lowering the height limit of maps to restrict giant towers. However, I don't know what I think about the no projectile thing. I feel like it's such a weird rule to enforce. A response I could see is "I have a bow, why can't I use it to defend myself?". If the towers are smaller there shouldn't be as big of a problem of getting to them while getting shot at.
Limiting winding paths that elongate the tower and make it easier for survivors to shoot the hunters off could be an idea.

• Agree
Reactions: Naoh

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
How about projectiles are allowed but instead a build limit is introduced. Say every human can place up to 10-15 blocks or something, that way humans can still construct advantageous structures while making it impossible to make giant towers. Plus point is that it motivates humans to work together to build something. It's army of darkness not army of building so I don't see why a build limit would be a problem.

Also, tuck fowers.

Reactions: Fruit

superhalo6

Reaction score
I'd really like a purchasable arrow that did relative block damage/3 blocks range of explosive damage, to make it that towers have to be more resource intensive (Increasing space so the arrow wouldn't cause a lot of health damage, and making it that blocks would be kept for repairing)

Reactions: Naoh

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
I'm very against the no projectile rule but I think that lowering the map ceiling is by far the easiest thing to do. Regardless of how many staff members we have on people are always going to break the no projectile rule and will complain that it is a stupid rule. How would you be able to work that in on maps like buildbox where the survivors are practically dependent on being able to use bows or projectiles to defend themselves?

Reactions: Naoh and JKangaroo

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
everyone just uses buildbox in their defences i swear
people also seem to forget that towers, although vertical, can also go horizontal via winding paths which hunters are easily shot off of
if people are so against the no projectile thing then i like vatu's idea the most with a block limitation for reducing OPness and encouraging teamwork, maybe map makers could set a block limit to their map (e.g. more blocks on say buildbox than uncharted/white hotel/other nonbuildbox tower maps) but that still raises issues on TNT being used as a weapon when placed but can also be used to build towers (e.g. skyscraper city) and if cobwebs are used.

Reactions: Fruit and Fragile

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
I never had too much of a problem. just build a staircase below them while shifting and they won't see you.
Only issue with that is, there's still maps where Survivors have access to the blocks (through means of shears, kits, chests, etc.) but the Hunters don't have much in the way of blocks, and there aren't very many other practical means to get them.

Reactions: Fragile

Naoh

Scott Pilgrim
Reaction score
Honestly, I have never seen the problem with towers myself. Maybe players could report what maps they have difficulties with towers in, and then we could make changes to those maps to better balance it?

Reactions: Fragile
Status
Not open for further replies.