[Help Wanted] Learning to Code

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was interested in starting to try and learn some coding. The only problem? I don't know where to start. I was looking into starting with Java then after I am really comfortable transferring into C++. I don't know exactly where or how to start with this though, so does anybody here have suggestions for me?

My computer, in case it is needed to know, runs Windows 8.

Shmid

Reaction score
Answer: Google. Search something like 'Java tutorial' and go through the results. It's what I do whenever I want to learn stuff. (because books are for nublets)

tnm

Reaction score
Eclipse is probably the best software around, download here:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-standard-431/keplersr1
As per learning, I guess I'll drop a few links:

Reactions: zezmi

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Here's the thing. BEFORE you even start learning how to code. I recommend to learn programming logic first and foremost. Afterwords you can put the syntax of the code, with the logic you know.

A few logic topics that are good to start with are; I/O (input/output), Decision Structures (If, if else, if not), Loops (while and for), and it's good to know the "datatypes" and "packages" you will work with upon starting coding. It's one thing to just learn some code, but its an entirely different matter to master it.

TheNewBoston shows you how to code, some interesting things, but doesn't help to much upon the theory.
Oracle really helps out with the Theory and Provides full coverage of the Libraries (Packages) within the starts of Java, but the code it provides is sometimes so general it can be confusing.

Java is a nice language to start out with. If you start with it, do not transfer to C++ until you have a solid grasp with Java. I say this because it's commonly accepted that C++ is one of the most annoying languages to grasp, and fully understand even for professionals. Yet, it's pretty awesome language if you can handle it!! If you prefer an even easier language than Java go with Python.

The computer you use is irrelevant, for these kind of languages. Just be sure you download the right compiler or IDE for your system depending on the language you go with. Obviously you don't need a compiler/IDE to compile or run your code, but it makes it so much easier for you.

For Java i recommend using Eclipse, for C++ again Eclipse and get a running-plugin, for it.

If you ever need any help, feel free to message me.

Basta

Reaction score
I'm learning it by watching as many differenttutorials as possible in tut. 1 you probably are like: "I don't get it." but if you watch another one that covers the same stuff you are like: "Ahh now I get it!" Well atleast it works for me. ^^
And I got a few books about Java but YouTube tutorials are better books are really not written for beginners (even if they say something else don't believe them) but if you get the basics THEN you should move on to the books and probably make simple stuff on your own.
And that's how I do it at the moment and it works good... I guess, can't really tell.

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I'm learning it by watching as many differenttutorials as possible in tut. 1 you probably are like: "I don't get it." but if you watch another one that covers the same stuff you are like: "Ahh now I get it!" Well atleast it works for me. ^^
And I got a few books about Java but YouTube tutorials are better books are really not written for beginners (even if they say something else don't believe them) but if you get the basics THEN you should move on to the books and probably make simple stuff on your own.
And that's how I do it at the moment and it works good... I guess, can't really tell.

lol if you want I'd be happy to assign you some Projects from my old college java course. Just to see what you can do! :p

Reaction score
lol if you want I'd be happy to assign you some Projects from my old college java course. Just to see what you can do! :p
Can I pretty please have them too? I'm running out of coding things to do in my spare time (when I have spare-time)... I'd love you forever!

#ONTOPIC:
I honestly don't reccomend video tutorials. They just... won't help you. They're good for reaching a very specific goal, but once you want to actually do something interesting... you'll find you are clueless.

I recommend this to anyone who asks me:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

It's not the easiest, but I now know the language properly because of it. It actually explains how/why the language works, rather than just giving coding examples. Object Oriented Programming is hard to get your head around without something like that (or a book).

The only thing I struggled with was finding good projects to start with... That's why I immediately started with Bukkit (which is not the best idea actually). So if Tuba would be as kind enough to send some fun projects in... we'd all benefit :)

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
UltimateBudgie

I have no problem sending you guys a couple projects i did in my Last programming course. I'll create a new thread in the off-topic with them. Feel free to post your responses as replies, or questions of help. There, and i'll help you out or verify your code! :)

Thymos

Thy Friendly Moose
Reaction score
The way I started learning programming was by using a program called scratch (a free puzzle-coder made by MIT.) It teaches you how to do basics, and once you feel comfortable with logic, move your way on up to whatever language you want.

There really is no language that's a lot more difficult than the rest (any difficulty comes from a lack of understanding how the language works, but as soon as you pick one up it's easy.) It all depends on what you want to code and if you feel comfortable with the language, really.

Basta

Reaction score

If you could do that would be awesome . :D
Hope I can do that, haven't done that much usfull stuff yet. :p

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how much time does it take to understand the basics of Java (as in passing all of Tuba's assignments)?

To truly understand the basics of Java. If you have no social life, no responsibilities, a true dedicated worker..... then A little over a week. That is my guesstimate! This is no Child's Play stuff. Even just the basics.

For all of my assignments? If you're good enough you could be able to do them all in like 2 days. But that still doesn't cover all the basics. But a nice chunk yes.

oliver56bird

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how much time does it take to understand the basics of Java (as in passing all of Tuba's assignments)?

To truly understand the basics of Java. If you have no social life, no responsibilities, a true dedicated worker..... then A little over a week. That is my guesstimate! This is no Child's Play stuff. Even just the basics.

For all of my assignments? If you're good enough you could be able to do them all in like 2 days. But that still doesn't cover all the basics. But a nice chunk yes.

Thanks. I have wanted to learn to code for ever, but have never found a good way to learn. I will probably learn it over the course of the next month or two.

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score

Thanks. I have wanted to learn to code for ever, but have never found a good way to learn. I will probably learn it over the course of the next month or two.

Sounds like a plan! Coding is a great thing to be interested in. Lots of use, helps for job seeking, if you're really good enough you could make your own professional products and sell them for some nice chunks of cash. It just takes, time, practice, and dedication.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking into starting with Java then after I am really comfortable transferring into C++.
Java is definitely one of the best starting places. Don't be deceived, there is A LOT that can be learned about java, you just may never use a lot of it. But you'll certainly appreciate some of the things java does for you if you transition to C/C++. The oracle tutorial trail that's been mentioned already is a really good resource, definitely use it. Also, for particular problems, stackoverflow (also mentioned above) will usually show up on the first google page with that problem.

As for IDEs, they aren't necessary, but will do some things for you. I use netbeans, eclipse and notepad/vim on different machines/environments. Knowing how to make things run using notepad/vim can be useful, but having coloured text and links to code errors will also help a lot, so I would suggest starting with an IDE.

As Tuba suggested, I would recommend trying to get your head around some of the theory. Boolean logic can help you solve problems in a way that's easier to translate to code usually, programming structures are obviously important and OOP concepts can be very difficult for some people to understand (though, I find C frustrating because I have difficulty separating the OOP thoughts from my code anymore). Two things I can't stress enough, is to pick a code format and use it consistently, and don't try to do the fanciest stuff right away. Consistent code format makes it much easier for you to find your way around your own code, and will help others look at it too. Doing fancy things is great, but if you copy fancy things from google you won't actually understand how they're working, and will compound your problems if something breaks.

The textbook for my college's programming 101 starts you off assuming you otherwise know nothing about programming, and is very useful. I never bought it though, so I can't help you with that :p, but if you can find a beginners book it would be a useful reference. You can also ask questions in these forums, I'm fairly certain there are enough of us to be able to answer it (and enough google to answer everything all the time forever).

EphemeralKap

Superior Sloth
Reaction score
Hello, I'd suggest you start with learning programming logic before you do anything.

Start with Greenfoot, use their scenarios and find yourself a .pdf of Introduction to Programming with Greenfoot, by Michael Kölling. It's great for starters with no programming experience whatsoever.

Python is an 'easy' to learn programming language for starters as well, you'll be writing less code, skip some syntax (You do not need to understand syntax at this point) - And you'll understand some of the programming concepts. You can learn a bunch at www.codecademy.com - Good interactive stuff to keep you on rails.

I found Java to be a good gateway to other more complex programming languages, so I'd recommend playing around with that afterwards.

IF you can find some good youtubers who explain their code well, you could use that as well, but don't get in over your head and get fooled by these videos, they'll often have you wrote down a bunch, with some pseudo-feeling that you're a great programmer! When, in reality, you've learned jackshit.

Tldr; Greenfoot -> Python -> Java.

Read, experiment, play, test, understand.

Have fun.

Oh, and for the love of god, don't do like I did.. started with Assembly, I def. recommend a high-level language. hahaha..