Harmak's Second Adv. Builder Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
Username: Harmakpaul
Approximately Amount of time spent on the server: About 6-8 hours depending on the amount of homework I have.
References (Adv+): Marvelfan01
Screenshots of creations (along with warps to the creations):

Warp: garythechicken (Plots)

Warp: abandonedmansion (Plots)

Warp: harmarchpaul (World)

Gone because it was in the original main world.
I might've withdrawn before, but I'm more confident about my builds this time, now that I have more and know how to use WE brushes.
Signed: The Time Controlling Cat, Harmak

Numberplay

Reaction score
I have to go with -1 because your builds are too simple.

I'll start with your terraforming. Of course you make good mountains and hills. But you tried too much at adding vegetation. On both mountains pictures, there are tall grass everywhere. I don't see why so much was needed. Even in generated plains, there aren't that much tall grass. Then comes the water. Your waterfalls don't look naturals. On Mountain #1, you let water flows but it keeps expanding. You should avoid that on hills. On the arch, there wasn't any need for 3 waterfalls. Only one or none are needed in my opinion.

Then comes the structures. First off, your plot in a whole doesn't make sense. I'm sure you didn't do it all at once, but you put a picture of it as a whole. This makes me think you tried to have a single theme on the map which isn't the case. Also, your walls lack any designs. Not on the blocks used but on the shapes, mostly on the mansion. The roof is too small. I mean, why are you making huge pillars simply for a 2-3 layers of roof over them? The surfaces are flat, there're a lot of empty spaces inside, etc.

You should try to improve more, I don't think you're at the level of advanced builders yet.

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Firstly, I'd like to say they're nice indeed. But as Number stated, they are far too simple.

And, as usual, Number managed to ninja everybody to this, and make their life easy.
Exactly what Number said, is what I'm saying. On that note, -1.

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
Your waterfalls don't look naturals. On Mountain #1, you let water flows but it keeps expanding. You should avoid that on hills. On the arch, there wasn't any need for 3 waterfalls. Only one or none are needed in my opinion.

Then comes the structures. First off, your plot in a whole doesn't make sense. I'm sure you didn't do it all at once, but you put a picture of it as a whole. This makes me think you tried to have a single theme on the map which isn't the case. Also, your walls lack any designs. Not on the blocks used but on the shapes, mostly on the mansion. The roof is too small. I mean, why are you making huge pillars simply for a 2-3 layers of roof over them? The surfaces are flat, there're a lot of empty spaces inside, etc.
Yeah, looking at it, I did add too much. I'll work on improving that for these builds and my future ones.

As for the plot, that wasn't because they are linked in theme, but to show where they are in relativity to other builds. I can also say that I didn't expect the statement that, ESPECIALLY the abandoned mansion, is "too simple". When I applied back in September, I got a total of four +1s just because of it alone and it seemed like the only reason I didn't get it then was because they thought that one build wasn't enough, as stated by Angel and Jub and supported by Sal. While I will say that the walls are pretty bland, I find it hard to make structures that big have walls that look "unique" and not look off compared to the build itself. The temple though? I'll work on that.

EDIT: Temple finished, and the mansion's roof was tested. It's 5-6 layers, and while it might not seem much, the roof has to hold one third of a giant chunk of rock, so it should balance out.

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
They're nice, but building is like art. If you haven't got the touch for it, it doesn't work as well. But just like art, that doesn't mean you won't ever be great at it. It may just take you longer. Either way, I am willing to help you in-game, as soon as I sort my 1.4.2 out as it appears to have messed up.

Reactions: HarmakAnna

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
*Advice from an Advanced*
(sorry if i'm not allowed to give advice on an application)
As stated before your builds are simple, this isn't bad though. When looking at your builds, the mansion in particular you don't really use the circular pillars to your advantage. To better explain what i mean see the spoilers...
This is a basic shape, consisting of circles and lines. Even though circles have been used, they haven't been used in a unique way.
Moving on to the 2nd image...
In this image, you see the abrupt change from circle to line has been lessened. This design gives a much more unique feel to it. (Note: I purposely made it consist of 2 different sides)
Now after the shaping has been created more "uniquely" I can go to the whole issue with "detailed walls". It's simple really, in the second spoiler you will see that there is a lot less "flat" area, compared to the first. This is a shortcut of sorts. Having less flat area means having less of a need for "fancy" walls. Do keep in mind, it will still look redundant at times...
If you do build flat walls that need some sprucing up try adding an accent block, once again see spoilers for a more in depth explanation.
This is your basic wall, pretty bland correct?
Not as quite as boring correct? In this case the cobblestone stairs were my accent block. I used it to break up the solid wood walls, without creating a overly cluttered mess. By adding it to the bottom corners and top corners, i give a feel of support, which also draws attention away from the solid wood wall.
This is if you really want to get decorative, you can add things like flowerboxes, windows, etc..
What good builders, in my eyes, need is a good knowledge of shaping, how to create obscure shapes and then proceed to build with them. It also needs the ability to create structures with unique features to the outer portion of the build (I don't see the interior as important as the exterior).

Thank you for your time in reading this~
Naterger

They're nice, but building is like art. If you haven't got the touch for it, it doesn't work as well. But just like art, that doesn't mean you won't ever be great at it. It may just take you longer.
Comparing building to art isa tricky thing, seeing as though no one is really "bad" at art, people just have different styles, and their art may appeal to one person and not the other.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I agree with the guys above me. Sorry but it's a -1 from me. Don't let this dishearten you, I see potential. Keep working at it and you'll achieve.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, i think im happy to let advbuilders give advice in advbuilder applications! that seems to work nicely.

Declined for now but, well on your way to achieving the rank. keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.