Hardcore Mode

Which option would you prefer?

• Total voters
D

DieLorelei

First Suggestion! Woo :D

Anyways... I'm thinking it would be interesting to have a hardcore mode every so often, maybe once every 4 rounds or so.
  • It would consist of a 10 minute round on the voted upon map,
  • Normal game mechanics
Except:
  • You can not see any one that dies (ie. DieLorelei bit _Infected! why would they do that?)
  • You can not see how much time is left
  • And either Option A or Option B
Option A: You can not see any one speak.

Option B: You are automatically set to Team Chat only where only the humans can communicate with humans and only zombies can only communicate among zombies. (credit to Damer_Flinn)

Basically, all you see is the Operators+ talking and /warning people, and the number of humans left as someone dies.

I am suggesting this because I believe that the current zombie matches that we hold are too friendly and familiar with the players, that it lacks a key element to a real portrayal of a Zombie Apocalypse, fear.
With a hardcore mode, as depicted above, it will isolate the player with his or her own survival instincts and skills in a silent or silencing environment of which little hope is felt. They must rely on only themselves and their sanity in order to win.

If it were to be tested, based on the difficulty of the overall challenge of surviving the horrible matches. Winners could receive an award for making it the full 10 minutes. ;P

D0mac

Sneaky Beaver Purple guy= SBP guy
Reaction score
sounds fun, but i dont think humans should be able to see how many humans are alive. only zombies may see how many humans are alive. also perhaps it should not be forced but ontop of the map vote every four rounds there is a vote for Hardcore/normal.

D

DieLorelei

It depends on how hard it is for the players to have limited communication... If nothing is different and its just like a silent match, then no award. If only one person wins out of maybe 3 hard core rounds, then the winner might get an award for it...

By award I mean /awards.
The name of it can be decided among the players, if and when it is needed.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
I would also not like how you couldn't strike up a conversation with players. Maybe ops can see anyone speak still and everyone can see ops talk.

Matt_Allen

Matterator
Reaction score
Website
heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com
Basically, all you see is the Op's warning people
What I hope you mean by this is Operators can chat and everyone can see, but also the text from /warn and commands like that?
Also I like this idea, but some casual players may not like it, perhaps we should incorporate a vote for it.

Example:
This round could be a HARDCORE round!!!
Vote YES or NO if you want it to be.
Voting commences.

When it says "This round could be a HARDCORE round!!!" I think the shouldn't be an option every round, but maybe every 3-4 rounds, or, a random round.

Kuyajer

Tyoping Legned
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see how this plays out. I started to lose my adventure in zombie, and eventually resigned because of boredom, combined with IRL reasons. Would be fun to bring back those "intense" moments.

Degekken

Reaction score
What I hope you mean by this is Operators can chat and everyone can see, but also the text from /warn and commands like that?
Also I like this idea, but some casual players may not like it, perhaps we should incorporate a vote for it.

Example:
This round could be a HARDCORE round!!!
Vote YES or NO if you want it to be.
Voting commences.

When it says "This round could be a HARDCORE round!!!" I think the shouldn't be an option every round, but maybe every 3-4 rounds, or, a random round.
This so badly, great idea trought.

IntensiK

Forever
Reaction score
Oh look! A GOOD suggestion! We don't see much of those anymore!

Love the idea, will definitely talk to Damer about making this happen.

One Survivor

Terminator Zombificator, Stone Survivor!
Reaction score
Being in a confusing danger among the zombies and not knowing what's the clock nor do we know who's being infected. Yes! Definitely gonna suport this, fits with the server!

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Ehh...I don't know about this...
A lot of the fun on the server is the socializing.
The idea itself is great, but I think it shouldn't be that common.

D

DieLorelei

I know that socializing is most of the fun, in most cases... But its the same thing again and again... If the players themselves vote on whether a round is hardcore mode or not, they are the ones that know what it is they're getting into, therefore I think its fine.

The votes seem to be heading towards Team Chat only. So there will be socializing :) But if you're a zombie, it will get noisier, and if you're a human it will just get quieter, and quieter until you are all alone.

erik1979

Reaction score
I like the concept behind the idea. Except if awards were to be given, it of course would have to be made quite a bit more rare. Maybe every 20 rounds or something along those lines. I don't know how many countless posts I've read about people saying that awards need to be extremely difficult to achieve, and if you wanted that to be the case then you could make it every 50 rounds or 100 rounds. That will definitely keep it more rare to have the award.

D

DieLorelei

TBH, I really don't care a about an award. But that seems like the general motivation to want to do well on a round, so I threw it in there. The point of this is to try to throw an extra challenge to the game, not to have another reason to give awards...

Anyways, most people wont get it anyways, humans have a hard enough time surviving normal rounds... And its not like awards do anything, most people don't even notice the ones that they have after they get them... I don't see a problem in having it every 4 or so rounds with a vote. Atleast it would give more people a chance to play it instead of logging in hoping they're in time to try it... 1/50 or 1/100 would be a horrible wait :p

D0mac

Sneaky Beaver Purple guy= SBP guy
Reaction score
the award would not have to be that simple. it could be perhaps achieve runner status on a hardcore map or something even harder.

Reactions: 1 person

Gamefan__15

rotarepO eibmoZ-xE
Reaction score
Walker, why no OP tag D:
on-topic:
I really like this idea :D Hope we implement it :)
One thing: Humans would be able to see how many humans are left by tab... is that possible to fix?

D

DieLorelei

Not all of the players know about the tab button or /who. But unless they check it regularly, they wouldn't know...

I dont know if it could be fixed, if so, awesome! but if not, its not entirely necessary, when they die, they still cant talk to them and are still essentially alone...
In one way, you will know that you're alone when the team chat is silent... and just as you know when you're alone, you will know the humans that are left by the ones that do talk... the main point is that you don't know who is dieing or when, you just see them being picked off one by one...