General Writing Thread

How do you feel about having one central thread for writing?

• Total voters

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score

I know what you're probably thinking, "Oh no, another writing thread? Don't we already have like, 50 of those?"

I think it would be better to have one central writing thread where people can show off their work and receive feedback from the general community. If this kicks off, it could potentially develop into a competition or just have regular prompts, similar to Biblius' art prompts, but focused on writing. Collaborative pieces could be written and a number of other writing-related things could be done.
See this post.

This is an alternative to the constant flow of writing threads that die after a few posts.

Stories!
[accordion]{slide=Jivvi}
The Crash, Lady Montague's Death
{/slide}
{slide=Faliara}
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

{/slide}
{slide=Infected_alien8_}
The Lonely One
{/slide}
{slide=Willchill}
Just A Kids' Story
Artyom

{/slide}
{slide=Fiestaguy}
SCP Stories
Untitled

{/slide}
{slide=timdood3}
Untitled
{/slide}
[/accordion]

Last edited:

Willchill

Reaction score
...Blocktopia's Art Prompts already include writing, poetry as well as prose are both common submissions and winners.
Writing-specific competitions/prompts would be much different to writing around a simple one-word theme. Pieces could start, end, or simply include a provided extract. Competitions could require a story written around a plot provided. Poems could require a specific line or group of lines. These are only ideas, but I hope you see the point that I'm trying to make. Writing-specific prompts/competitions could cater better for writers than the art prompts you provide which, don't get me wrong, are wonderful.

I'm not saying these will definitely be happening. If people want these sort of things, they can have them.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I feel as if this won't really kick off, though I could be wrong.

However I'm not sure how I feel about everyone's work being mixed up, especially for those who prefer to continue to write updates to the same story. I imagine it'd be quite tedious to go through and search for the previous post for a refresher than simply scroll up.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
These were the two assessment pieces from my english this term. I did alright with them in terms of results, although neither contain any particular meaning.
[accordion]
{slide=The Crash - English Short Story}“Ramos! Slow down!”
He can barely hear my voice over the roar of weathered tyres on the loose hillside road.
“What?”
“Slow down!” I yell even louder. Ramos wrenches the car around a corner sharper than the edge of the hunting knife strapped to the bulky vehicle’s cargo barrier. Ramos taps the brake a little as we head up an incline, but only enough so that the rear wheels stay grounded while the from wheels catch air at the peak of the hill. I watch in fear as the car screams down towards a wide u-bend at a thousand kilometres an hour. I make a grab for the handbrake, which, after a shrill grating, loses all effectivity on the dizzying wheels of the rusty old bomb. I lunge at the steering wheel, trying to stop the car before we both die young and handsome.
“Chris, are you insane?” Ramos shouts incredulously, as the bucket of bolts slams into the ancient barrier, which creaks and shudders desperately we wrestle over the wheel. A glance up at the road reminds us that we’re approaching the cliff at a million miles per hour. Ramos makes a last futile pull at the wheel, which spins us onto the road backwards just in time to splinter through the corner’s barrier and torpedo into the canopy below.
I groggily sit up, still not fully coherent. My back aches, but pales in the presence of my splitting headache. I try to stand up, but my legs give way under me. I crawl into an upright position and look around. The sun glowers at me through the gaps between the leaves of the high canopy. I start to feel stronger and stand. After spotting the car half-buried in leaf litter, I’m startled to see that the windscreen has been completely shattered. Judging from the marks on the ground, I flew straight through the windscreen when the car hit the ground. I scoop some of the leaves out from the interior of the dinted and defeated station wagon and find Ramos’s arm. I tug him out and shake him awake. He doesn’t stir, so I slam my hand onto the car’s horn and he jolts up. Ramos looks up the near-vertical incline to the road. I watch him blink a few times, then rub his eyes.
“Run!” he cries. As I look closer I can see where more rubble has been dislodged, which begins sliding down the hill in a second avalanche. Ramos and I sprint away from the old bomb just as it’s completely inundated by a hail of stones. After the dust settles, we move back over to the pile of rubble to see if we can pick anything out of the car. I had just managed to wrest the hunting knife free from the cargo barrier when we heard a howl. Like scared mice we scurried to any kind of hiding place: Ramos dove into a bush, while I pressed up against one of the largest boulders. Not a second later, a pack of wolves swarmed past in a flurry of flying fur. One of the trailing dogs halted and turned its nose towards us, detecting our scent. The wolf had no intention of being left behind however, so continued running without further investigation.
Ramos was quick to continue digging, seemingly intent on searching for something in particular. I moved closer to the hill face, wondering if we had any hope of climbing back to the road. Suddenly, I saw a slash of bright red light shoot straight into the sky, joined by a screeching not dissimilar to fireworks. I whirled around to see what had happened, and saw Ramos stumbling backwards, holding a bright red distress flare gun. Beside him was the toolbox it must have come from, dug out of the boot of the car.
“Good thing I brought this, huh?” Ramos said with a hint of cockiness. Just as I was feeling relieved – we could be out of this soon, I heard the kicking up of leaves cause by the fleeting feet of the pack of wolves, returned to investigate the noise.
“That...” I stutter, “That might be arguable.” I turn to stumble up the hill, but slide back down the flat face. Ramos was stunned where he stood. I shouted his name and he turned and ran to me.
“What do we do?” he wailed.
“I don’t know,” I answered hopelessly. One particular was closing much faster than the others. As Ramos quailed in fear again, I grabbed his flare gun and took aim. The gun clicked, and I cursed as I realised that it was empty. I shove Ramos aside as the wolf darted past, unable to turn around or stop in time, and fumbled for another signal flare. As the uncannily swift canine closed in for a second time, I levelled the gun and looked down the label that designated it as a non-combat firearm. A beautiful red fireworks display exploded from where the flare hit the wolf’s side. The wolf pulled around in a hairpin turn and ran for its life, fur singed and smouldering. By now, though, the other wolves had closed in. Ramos’ first flare had not been for naught, however, as a search-and-rescue helicopter hovered overhead.
My first thought was to save myself and run straight for the ladder, but I couldn’t leave Ramos standing there scared stiff. I run back and hustle my friend along towards the rope ladder, as the pack encircles us, closing off all lateral escape. The helicopter shudders as someone lowers a basket for Ramos to be placed in: he was in no state to climb the ladder himself, but the movement of the ladder hurls it into a branch, which would have thrown me off to a nasty landing had I left Ramos for dead and climbed earlier.
Once Ramos was secure, I begin climbing, as Ramos is winched upwards, away from the snapping jowls of the hungry dogs. I almost broke down with relief as the strong arms of the paramedic in the helicopter haul me into the fuselage. Ramos has to be flown directly to hospital for mild shock treatment, which is a significant distance away. The paramedic seems interested in my story, though, so I should have something to talk about on the way there.{/slide}{slide= Lady Montague's Death - English - Romeo & Juliet Story Silence Filler Monologue}
[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Script{/td}
{td=200x@}
Action{/td}
{td=200x@}
Manner of Speech{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Oh, how could the cruel Prince be so merciless towards my poor Romeo?{/td}
{td=200x@}
Arms wide pleadingly{/td}
{td=200x@}
Desperate{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Exiled! How can it be? My son, thrown out of his house and home, away from his family and friends, forever!{/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
How will he survive out in exile? How will I live on knowing my little boy is out there somewhere, fending for himself?{/td}
{td=200x@}
Look upwards/outwards, gesture towards{/td}
{td=200x@}
Questioning{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
That vile Tybalt slew Mercutio! Romeo was justified in his actions, surely! What consequence does the house of Capulet face?{/td}
{td=200x@}
Arm swing angrily{/td}
{td=200x@}
Spiteful{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
I don’t see any of that filthy Capulet’s children being banished{/td}
{td=200x@}
Splutter{/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
And what if Tybalt turned on Romeo after murdering Mercutio? What then? He was merely acting in self-defense!{/td}
{td=200x@}
Arms raised questioningly{/td}
{td=200x@}
Protesting{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
My little boy never wanted to hurt anyone, his hand was forced. He had to save himself from that wretched Capulet!{/td}
{td=200x@}
Hands confusedly{/td}
{td=200x@}
Argumentative{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
He didn’t deserve to be a part of this terrible feud!{/td}
{td=200x@}
Wring hands{/td}
{td=200x@}
Defensive{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
And now it has ended with his exile!{/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
How will he survive out in exile? How will I live on knowing my little boy is out there somewhere, fending for himself?{/td}
{td=200x@}
Look upwards/outwards, gesture towards{/td}
{td=200x@}
Questioning{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
All because of me, his suffering, I brought him into this world, into this terrible place.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Curl down, clutching head{/td}
{td=200x@}
Sorrowful{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
How can I even be sure he is still alive? Has he died at my hand?{/td}
{td=200x@}
Clutch head{/td}
{td=200x@}
Wailing, Unknowing{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
All because of me, his suffering, I brought him into this world, into this terrible feud.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Curl down, clutching head{/td}
{td=200x@}
Sorrowful{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
And how have his friends and the rest of the family received this news? Have they been overwhelmed with sorrow?{/td}
{td=200x@}
Look up on haunches{/td}
{td=200x@}
Wondering{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Am I to blame for their suffering also?{/td}
{td=200x@}
Sit and think{/td}
{td=200x@}
Defeated{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{td=200x@}
Sigh/Exasperated/Exhaustion{/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Surely I am but a scourge upon the earth and a fiendish burden to those I hold dear.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Move to spread-out sitting position{/td}
{td=200x@}
Self-deprecating{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Perhaps…
Perhaps if I were to die, the world might be lifted from under the curse known by the name of Lady Montague.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Fatigued head movement/lolling{/td}
{td=200x@}
Pondering, Darkly optimistic, Defeated{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Could I escape this world of pain that now surrounds me?{/td}
{td=200x@}
Look at held up hands{/td}
{td=200x@}
Wondering, Shallow breathing{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
I desire nothing more than to cease existing in a world where I cause others so much pain.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Drop hands{/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
I have done enough to tear apart my family already, it will be of no loss to them.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Slump down{/td}
{td=200x@}
Clutching onto the idea{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Surely they must want me gone too.{/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{td=200x@}
Resigned{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
I feel that I cannot bear this strain upon my heart any longer, I simply wish to stop breathing.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Clutch heart{/td}
{td=200x@}
Painfully{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
I feel as if the grief is decaying me from inside, and now my empty shell will be laid to rest.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Sit back{/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Take me away from this world of suffering and grief, may it be a better place in my absence.{/td}
{td=200x@}
Lay down{/td}
{td=200x@}
Strained{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@}
Forgive me, Romeo, and the world I have wronged{/td}
{td=200x@}
Dramatic dying actions{/td}
{td=200x@}
Dramatic{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{td=200x@}
Die{/td}
{td=200x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{/slide}
[/accordion]

Faliara

Reaction score
I'm kinda worried it won't kick off, but I'll contribute anyway :)

This is just gonna be a small piece, nothing big. Feel free to imagine what happened earlier and what happens next.

"You're crazy."

The hunched man, features etched with age, looked at me with tired, weary eyes. "I'm starting to believe that myself."

"You're crazy," I repeated. There was no way, absolutely no way I could do this. "All those years as head of the family has made you go off your rocker. You can't possibly believe I can pull this off."

My grandfather sighed. "I don't, but there's no other option. Your father's in a coma on life support, your sister's only five and everyone else with our bloodline is either in a similiar situation, dead or too busy on the run to realize the exact source of the problem."

I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Like my brother taught me.

"Is there really no one else who can do this?" I tried, opening my eyes. "No one else? I thought you were the strongest of us all."

"I am, but my power tires as each day goes by." He gripped his cane. "I understand your reluctance, but please, Mydres. Everything is at stake."

I bit my lip. This is serious. No matter how much I hate to admit it, Grandfather is right. If someone doesn't stop that- that thing from killing us for what our bloodline has, everything will go to hell.

I sighed in resignation. "Alright."

Grandfather's shoulders sagged with relief. "Thank you, Dres. You leave in five days."

"Make it three." I looked him in the eye. "You better take care of Els."

He nodded. "Of course. She's family."

"Good." I stood up and left the room.

As soon as the doors closed, my shoulders fell.

I don't want to do this.

Not after what happened to Brother.

If I had only been faster...

I shook the hair out of my face, shoulders squared, and walked away.

'... I wish you were here, Brother...'

Sadly, while I wrote this piece, I may or may not have developed a plot along the way.

Last edited:

Willchill

Reaction score
However I'm not sure how I feel about everyone's work being mixed up, especially for those who prefer to continue to write updates to the same story.
I could edit the OP and add links to the posts containing the stories that've been posted. Something similar to this could be done.

Story Name
Chapter 1 (these would be hyperlinked to the post containing the chapter)
Chapter 2
Story 2 Name
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Last edited:

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I could edit the OP and add links to the posts containing the stories that've been posted. Something similar to this could be done.

Story Name
Chapter 1 (these would be hyperlinked to the post containing the chapter)
Chapter 2
Story 2 Name
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Perhaps, but doesn't that seem like a lot of unnecessary upkeep?

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Doesn't that seem like an awful lot of pessimism?
Perhaps, but I just feel like this is a bit tedious for the reader as well. In my mind, a reader should be able to scroll down one post and have the material they want to read right there. They shouldn't have to look around for it or go back to the OP for a link.

Don't get me wrong, I like this idea and I think having this thread is a great thing to have. I just don't think I'll be writing here too often, I'll probably stick to my writing thread ;)

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I just feel like this is a bit tedious for the reader as well. In my mind, a reader should be able to scroll down one post and have the material they want to read right there. They shouldn't have to look around for it or go back to the OP for a link.

Don't get me wrong, I like this idea and I think having this thread is a great thing to have. I just don't think I'll be writing here too often, I'll probably stick to my writing thread ;)
One general thread will probably mean more exposure though, as many people can't be bothered to sift through the many many art/creative threads that individuals have made.
(I do look at some of your things everyone I do not neglect you)

Faliara

Reaction score
Gotta... Keep... Running...

Can't let him keep up...

Just... Can't...

I tripped, crashing downwards.

... Too tired...

... Maybe a few moments of rest would...

A loud growl snapped me to reality.

I can't stop now.

Can't.

Els... Father... Grandfather...

I have to get to them.

They've got to know.

'Come on, Dres,' I thought to myself, pushing himself upwards.

I looked behind me before continuing a mad dash through the forest to escape... That.

I have to reach them.

I have to let them know what's happening.

If I don't...

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
One general thread will probably mean more exposure though, as many people can't be bothered to sift through the many many art/creative threads that individuals have made.
(I do look at some of your things everyone I do not neglect you)
hehe this is a fun debate :3
However, that exposure could be lost in the sheer amount of writing that would come in if all (or just the majority) of writers in the community all posted here. I just feel like it will be very chaotic. Who knows, I'll see how it goes and I might start posting here.

Faliara

Reaction score
hehe this is a fun debate :3
However, that exposure could be lost in the sheer amount of writing that would come in if all (or just the majority) of writers in the community all posted here. I just feel like it will be very chaotic. Who knows, I'll see how it goes and I might start posting here.
It doesn't have to be all, it could just be post one part of a story and put a link to the rest or something *meditates*

"Where is it, where is it, come on..." Sounds of shuffling paper could be heard in the lab of one Dr Lorwell.

Amesrra was one of those thieves-for-hire that you could find and employ, if you can find the phone number. Not really special in the standards of the crapsack world that is Trestgun, but she doesn't really care about that.

As long as she gets enough money to go by, she's alright with her stand in the world.

Hey, she's just trying to survive, not reaching out to be the best.

"Aha! Got it," she said triumphantly, snatching the paper and holding it in the air.

At the exact moment the door was abruptly opened.

"..."

Slowly, she turned her head to meet the face of the man who stood by the door.

Ernest Lorwell was a thin, pale man, with his brown hair shaved at the top. He wore circular, black glasses, befuddled brown eyes gazing at her confusedly.

"What are you doing in my lab?

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
This is the first draft of a poem I wrote :)
I know it's not amazing but eh :p
--

the lonely one

Who’s that over there? The lonely one
with his bag and his coat in his arms like a baby
but he has no baby because he’s alone.
The clock is ticking and the people are chattering but
not him;
he’s alone in the vast sea of mates. He has no friends or nobody
because he’s lonely.
Maybe he’s nice.
maybe he’s mean.
Maybe! Maybe! maybe he has a loving family with soup at home
and smiling pictures on walls and sunny chairs in a comfy room
and maybe he likes rock music and jams all night long!
but who is that over there? Who is it? is he lonely? is he lost?
is he searching for something in the fog of loneliness?
does he like classical music? Does he like music?
what is he like? Does anyone know? who knows?
maybe he fishes in the warm ocean and catches the best fish in the world,
maybe he hurries around beautifully or maybe worried.
maybe he cackles and scoffs and kicks and curls his toes as he crushes and clicks
ice into his cup.
I don’t like him. he’s alone and he’s looking around at everyone.
I don’t like him

I must get to know
him
--

Also, thanks for making this Will, I feel like I can post stuff a lot more now because before I felt like I would annoy everyone if I made new threads all the time for different stuff but now I can do it all here ;D

Reactions: Timdood3

Willchill

Reaction score
A short (1,033 words) Sci-Fi Horror story that I wrote for my English class.
Just A Kids' Story.
~~~~
"Wow," exclaimed a rather striking young man, "a starship of 138 people vanished in minutes. They say that their autopilot malfunctioned and the ship crashed into the planet it was orbiting, but no debris has been found yet. Their communications were shut off manually yesterday and they haven't been heard from since. I reckon it was a Ghu-Roth attack."
"You really believe in that nonsense? Here I was thinking you were smart!" said his friend, who was behind a rather complicated wall filled with flashing lights, switches and buttons.
"Daddy," said a young girl, who stood beside the young man, "who's Ghu-Roth?"
To which her father responded, "The Ghu-Roth are a group of cannibals that wipe out entire colonies at a time. The starships they attack are never heard from again and neither are their inhabitants. Their uniforms feature bulky hobnail boots, a helmet and a one piece suit made out of an unknown material - all the darkest black, aside from a red insignia right in the centre of their chest. They have technology that surpasses ours by thousands of years. It can shut off communication systems and open any locked door."
"Captain Welley, did your parents ever sing you a rhyme about the Ghu-Roth?" said the man's friend.
"I might've, but I'll say no just so I can hear your incredible voice sing it to me," mocked the captain.
"Lock up your children, lock up your wives,
The Ghu-Roth are here to take all your lives.
In the middle of the night, in the middle of the day,
There's nothing you can do that will keep them at bay.
They'll sneak into your cabin, unlock down your door,
The Ghu-Roth are out and they're hunting for more.
They'll snap all your bones, tear off your flesh,
But only if the meat is fresh.
Lock up your children, lock up your wives,
The Ghu-Roth are here to take all our lives."

Captain Welley's friend took a bow.
"Bravo! Encore! Fantastic!" he cheered sarcastically. The captain responded by slapping him sharply before leaving the room to assume his post in the cockpit.

Captain Welley was overseeing the night shift in the cockpit. Like most nights, it was quiet. A thick, almost tangible silence hung about. Though it felt impolite and generally unacceptable, he broke the silence.
"The radar's clear," he told them, "we're loaded with fuel and we have a stable communications signal. Take the night off! Go, enjoy the company of your friends and family!"
Of course, it was against protocol, but he needed to curry some favour in his work force. He stayed in there, nonchalantly watching the stars and planets through the windshield as he dozed off.

The captain was woken by a siren accompanied by a flashing red light on the control panel. Something had triggered the movement detectors in the docking port of the ship. Reluctantly he dragged himself onto his feet.
"Probably just some kids mucking around," he told himself, "or maybe a false alarm."
Captain Welley left the command capsule and began his brisk walk to the docking port. It was quiet. He didn't doubt that most people on the ship were asleep.

The captain arrived at the airlock the docking port was behind. His heart was beating fast. On the way there he thought about all of the evil that could be on the other side of the door. It was connected to space, after all.
"No," he thought to himself, "there was nothing on the radar. It was a false alarm."
The captain took a breath and opened the door. To his relief there was nothing there. Captain Welley started his way back to the cockpit.

He took the long way back, the way that went past the dorms, for no particular reason. The captain was strolling by when the thick silence that had surrounded him since he left the cockpit was broken by a high-pitched shriek. Many others broke out and soon enough the dorms erupted into an endless flow of screams. The captain broke into a sprint. Something was horribly, horribly wrong and he needed to make a call for help.

He slid around corner after corner, heart beating in his chest, the rubber soles on his shoes adding to the shrieking. Captain Welley was running as fast as he could. He turned a corner and slipped over and his head slammed into the ground with a loud thud. The captain was lying there, trying to catch his breath and get pack onto his feet when he heard a set of boots hitting the floor, closing in alarmingly fast. His eyes were having difficulty focusing, but the captain managed to catch a sight of a human figure standing over him holding a baton. Welley pulled out his gun and fired a single shot at the figure. A shot that hit it on a red spot right in the centre of its chest. A shot that should've killed. A shot that didn't faze the figure at all.

In the middle of the night, in the middle of the day,
There's nothing you can do that will keep them at bay.

The figure swung and the captain managed to roll out of the way and onto his feet in time. He bolted to the cockpit, trying to shake the rhyme from his head.

The captain was surprised to find himself at the door of the cockpit. The boots were still behind him, but not as close as before. He dared not sneak a look, not even from the corner of his eye. The door opened and Welley ran in, going straight for the radio.

"This is Captain John Welley, calling for assistance." he said. "We're in need of urgent help. The Ghu-Roth are attacking us."

"What? The Ghu-Roth are just kids stories! Stop wasting my time, jackass." responded a gruff voice on the other end.

The door opened behind him. He didn't need to turn around.

They'll sneak into your cabin, unlock your door,
The Ghu-Roth are out and they're hunting for more.
They'll snap all your bones, tear off your flesh,
But only if the meat is fresh.
Captain Welley knew his fate.

Reactions: NovaCat and Jivvi

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Last edited:
Reactions: Willchill

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Oh look at this-
My hopes and dreams have been crushed!
Time to write something new that is largely unrelated to SCP :3
It tasted fucking horrible.

He dropped the spoon he was holding and grunted. Chunks of the grey, tasteless drab on his plate flew trough the air. Some of it landing back on the plate, some of it on the table, and some of it on the guard on the other side of the table.

Five seconds later he was dragged off to the back room, kicking and screaming by the guards, to be never seen again.

"That's the fifth one today." the blonde-haired boy said, as he lifted the spoon to his mouth and swallowed the bitter substance in a single gulp. Teschel didn't quite get how he could swallow this stuff without doing so much as scowl at the bitter taste. He watched as the last spoonful vanished into his mouth, before he put the small piece of silverware on the ceramic plate and shoved it away. Teschel didn't even have the chance to lift his spoon when the all-too-familiar question was asked once again. "You still going to finish that?"

CaffeinatedKitty ARE YOU PROUD OF ME?

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
This is the story from my own writing thread. Figured I may as well put in here. Look, I'm Jivvi!
[accordion=bcenter]
{slide=Part One - The Duel|center}Two men faced each other in the arena. Not an uncommon event, fights like this were held every few days. Most, however, were not so controversial. Men volunteered to fight for all sorts of reasons. If they have nothing more to live for, they volunteer. If they've lost all of their money are are neck deep in debt, they volunteer. If they want to show their strength, they volunteer. And the list goes on. It was a way of life for the citizens of Glaend.

These two men were not normal citizens. They were arrested and found guilty of the assassination of King Turkin. The sentence: global exile. They two were never to enter a city again. Much to the public's chagrin, the to struck a deal with the late king's adviser. The two requested to fight each other in the arena. The king's adviser was not a lighthearted man; he was grave no matter the occasion, and not even he would deny them their request. Every man deserves one last fight. However, instead of the normal reward of material possessions, they requested that the winner be granted his freedom. The adviser scoffed at the request, and nearly sent them away on the spot. The men had killed the king, for pity's sake! But he knew that they'd have no use for money or goods in exile, and he knew he couldn't deny the winner his reward. Reluctantly, he agreed, and the fight was scheduled.

Despite the hatred the public had for the assassins, it didn't stop them from spectating the duel; they knew it'd be a good fight . They looked upon the duelists anxiously, waiting for the fight to start.

One man stood on the northern end of the arena. He was not a large man, but was obviously very fit. He had spent his entire fortune for his equipment. His armor was thick steel, the stark color a marked contrast to the lush grass. The individual pieces were trimmed a blood red, a color associated with retribution. The color came to be known as such when a petty thief stood before the king begging for mercy. King Turkin saw that the man was genuine, and so chose to console him. But the man had damaged himself severely. The man died slowly from his own wounds, and had bled profusely on the king. Now criminals wear the color to show that they regret what they did. Whether this assassin felt remorse was a mystery, but he was wearing the color.

Standing on the opposite side of the arena, the other man was much larger, and much stronger as well. His equipment was another marked contrast. It was entirely black, and it was impossible to tell when when piece of armor ended and another began. He was wearing the color of neutrality. This man knew what he had done, and known why. He did not regret it, and it was going to stay that way until he died.

Their weapons were also very different. The smaller clenched his left fist around a hammer. The hilt was covered by a criss-cross pattern of diagonal lines for grip, and from that extended nine inches of tempered steel topped with a heavy block of iron. In theme with his armor, the rod was embellished with crimson rings. On his back was a six foot spear with a razor tip, also themed with red rings at even intervals along the shaft. On his belt was his final armament: the kris he had used to stab the king in the back. It was exactly as it had been then, with the exception of King Turkin's blood.

The larger of the two men obviously had a more bloodthirsty approach to his gear. In his right hand he confidently held a large claymore. The hilt was brass, and had simple leather covers. The blade matched his armor and has jet black. He didn't plan to need it, but he had a scimitar sheathed at his belt. The blade was again black, and had to same utilitarian hilt as the claymore.

As the sun started to set, a horn blast rung out across the field and the battle began. The larger man closed the distance quickly and easily, brandishing his claymore over his left shoulder in a two handed stroke downward, hoping to end the battle quickly. The larger man may have been stronger, but he was clumsy. The smaller assassin ducked to the right, under his opponent's raised arm. When he got to the other side, he quickly spun clockwise around and slammed his hammer into charger's right side. He felt a satisfying thud and heard a crack. His armor may have looked intimidating, but it wasn't protecting him very well.

Enraged, he spun counterclockwise, his blade straight out in front of him, uninhibited by the pain. This time, the blow found it's mark. The target cringed as the claymore bit into his armor and cut through. He could feel hot blood escaping from his left shoulder inside his armor. He kicked the larger man away and dropped his hammer in favor of the spear at his back. As he predicted, fighting him up close was not going to work.

The larger man had to respect the slighter man's agility. That is, after all, the only reason he had manipulated him in the first place; he needed someone who could get in and out easily, but he still hated him for getting caught. He drove all of that hatred into his next charge. He barreled toward the pipsqueak and swatted the spear to the side, leaving a clear path for his claymore to follow.

The slight man saw the claymore about to bury itself in his neck and used the momentum of his swatted spear to jump to leave side and around, swinging the butt of the spear into the back of his aggressor's unarmored head, knocking him off balanced and leaving him dazed and surprised. He then took the opportunity to drive the spear forwards through the man's armor and into his back. The man fell forward with a thud, and the slight man yanked the spear back out, tearing a gaping hole in the poorly crafted armor. The man himself however, seemed unfazed, though was lying face down on the ground. Furthering his advantage, the assassin jumped onto his back, drew the kris from him belt and drove it into his former manipulator's back, just as he had the king's.{/slide}
{slide=Part Two - The Request|center}"And the winner of the duel is Obelis!" The cry rang out over the arena and seemed to muffle the cheers of the crowd. They had seen his color choice and known that he was not fighting only for his freedom as his former partner had been. They knew he was fighting for redemption.

The cry came from an elevated and secluded area of the spectating area. There a boyish man around the age of twenty years was standing at the edge of the platform, gripping the rail. Although the duelist had killed his father, he knew that Obelis would do well with his freedom, while the other man, Eshro, would only kill again. Somehow, he could not see Obelis as the man that killed his father . Obelis merely did what he had to do. Eshro was the real murderer. In King Vaaren's eyes, Obelis had just avenged his father.

After the duel, Obelis was stopped by a member of the King's Guard and instructed to see the king immediately. The guard led him to the throne room and before a word could be said Obelis knelt before the new king and apologized. He did not make excuses. He did not even state his circumstances. He said only two words: "I'm sorry."

Vaaren was surprised despite his anticipation of the scenario, and simply sat upon his marble throne wide-eyed for a moment. After he recovered, he stood and extended a hand to the redeemed assassin. "No, Obelis. I wanted to thank you."

Obelis was taken aback. "But-" he stuttered, "I killed your father! How could you thank me for that!"

The king merely shook his head. "I'm not thanking you for killing my father. Eshro is the real murderer. I'm thanking you for avenging my father's death."

Obelis took Vaaren's hand and rose. "But- I killed King Turkin!"

The king put his hand on Obelis' shoulder. "And then you used the same knife to kill the true murderer." Vaaren paused, unsure how Obelis would react to his next statement. "I'd like to induct you as a member of the King's Guard."

The assassin responded as if Vaaren had physically pushed him. He reeled back and protested even more than before. "No! I killed your father and now you want to give me a high position of honor! No! It isn't right!"

"You may not have forgiven yourself, but I have." The king's voice remained ever calm.

Obelis' initial surprise had cleared and turned to anger. Whether it was at himself or the king, he did know. "I didn't ask for this. I asked for my freedom. That's all!"

"Your freedom wasn't all you wanted. I saw your armor. Everyone did. You made it painfully obvious that you were fighting to redeem yourself!" Vaaren's voice rose, but it was not in anger.

As Vaaren's voice rose slightly, Obelis' fell slightly. His conviction, however, remained constant. "My redemption was using the dagger that killed Kind Turkin. I don't need a spot in the King's Guard for that." Without another word, Obelis turned and briskly strode towards the door of the throne room. As he passed, the dark red banners hanging on either side seemed to sway, as if to keep him there a moment longer. Obelis, however, was uninhibited. He showed himself out of the throne room, out of the Royal Wing, and out the front gates of the keep. Then he realized...He had nowhere to go.{/slide}
{slide=Part Three - The Encounter|center}Obelis was being led at forced march pace all morning before they finally seemed to reach a landmark. The man who had originally seen him at the inn was leading in front, and Obelis couldn't help but stare at the claws in his back. They almost seemed to shift every once in a while, as if renewing their grip. There were another two knights on either side of Obelis, and one behind. All of them were wearing full armor, as was Obelis. If he was being inducted into a guild, why did he feel like he was being imprisoned?

The landmark they reached looked like an alter, or some sort of well. It was circular, about eight feet across. There were black specks sprinkled over the white stone, and Obelis had to wonder where they had come from. The bottom seemed to flare out from the rest of the four foot tall cylinder, forming what two steps. The top of the cylinder was flat, but there was a circular dent in the center six inchest across and half as deep. One by one the escorts stepped forward and knelt at the alter, each pouring a small amount of liquid into the central bowl. Once all four of the were positioned around the alter, the leader instructed Obelis to step foward and submerge his kris in the liquid as best he could.

He was nervous, but did as he was told. The escorts all knelt with their heads bowed and for a moment, nothing happened. Then a beam of light shot down from the heavens onto the dagger. He looked up and saw someone, something? Descending from the sky down the beam. The being slowly descended and Obelis could only look on, dumbfounded that such a thing could be possible. The being appeared humanoid: just under six feet from head to toe, long, flowing golden hair draped over her shoulders, and a slim figure. Without toucching the alter, she spoke. "Obelis, I understand that you are seeking redemption for the murder of King Turkin. Correct?" Her voice was not so much spoken as much as simply injected directly into Obelis' thoughts. It was as if he himself was thinking the words, but in this heavenly being's voice.

Awestruck, Obelis tried to so much as stutter, but failed. He made no sound, his hands were shaking and he had no idea where this woman came from or what she was.

More thoughts were injected into his mind. They were soothing, and Obelis started to feel he could trust the woman, even if he knew nothing of her. "Do not speak aloud. I can hear your thoughts. They needn't even know of our correspondence." The thoughts ceased as Obelis glanced at the kneeling men around him. They did not continue until he looked back up at the floating woman, "I will send you on a journey. By the end of it, you will be redeemed in the eyes of not only others, but of yourself. Do you accept?"

The choice seemed obvious, of course he wanted to redeem himself. But he couldn't help but feel he was being manipulated...Again. He didn't mean to communicate with the being, but she heard him. "Then it is settled. Stay with these men until they are slain, then you shall begin your own quest." Confused and amazed, Obelis could only start blankly as the woman vanished into thin air and the light faded. The liquid in which he had submerged his dagger was gone, and he retrieved the kris.

Before he knew what was happening, the leader of the Redimet was laughing and heartily slapped him on the back. "So you've seen her, eh? So you really are meant to be one of us. In that case, we advance to the guild!" He turned and began down the trail. They other hastily followed, and it appeared that Obelis was no longer being imprisoned by their bodies and so chose to simply trail behind.{/slide}
{slide=Part Four - Dominance|center}"Halt!" The cry rang out from the trees on either side of the party. "You're all under arrest by order of the king!" Without hesitation, all four members of the Redimet drew their weapons. It was obvious these men knew they were outlaws and refused to go down easily. Obelis, however, was not so keen to die. He ran off into the trees, praying that he didn't run into more guards. He couldn't help but feel a bit guilty for the party's demise.

The group had originally been heading North, and Obelis had been running East for about ten minutes. He reched the edge of the forest and observed the terrain around him. The treeline seemed to stop arbruptly and was replaced by a lush plain. Some miles away he could he the ground rise in two hills. Having nowhere else to go, Obelis felt that he had been sentenced to exile after all.

Haunted by the screams of pain still carrying to him, he pressed on. In only a few minutes, he crested the first hill and on the other side he couldn't believe what he was seeing. More guards. He thought he'd be in the clear once he was out of the forest, but apparently his hopes were in vain. The party approached Obelis hastily, inquiring if he'd seen a group of five armored men anywhere. "Four of those men are cult members that kidnap high ranking citizens and sacrificed them. Call themselves the 'Redimet.'"

Obelis' response seemed to come of its own volition. "The only men I've seen since I left town were guards. I heard some shouting from the forest a few minutes ago, though, maybe they found they group you're looking for." The party leader nodded his thanks and the group went on their way to the forest. Puzzled and afraid, Obelis simply kept walking; he knew he had to get as far away as he could.

He kept on in silence for a while, but inevitably, more words came from Obelis' mouth, and they were not his own. "They are slain. Are you ready to begin your quest?" He had begun to question this whole ordeal when the guard said the the Reditmet was a cult, but he had been made an offer that he couldn't refuse, not to mention he was being hunted. He hadn't so much as considered his answer before he was forced to speak again, "Then it is settled. I will guide you where you need to go."

Before, Obelis had still been able to move freely while his voice was speaking on its own, but now he was completely dominated by something, presumably the 'angel' he'd communicated with at the alter. He lost consciousness shortly after.

When he was once again self aware, he found himself in a clearing surrounded by dense trees and undergrowth. Some of it bore fruit, but the majority was dead. As dead as the bleeding man lying face down on the alter in front of him, Obelis' dagger in his back. Startled, he reeled back. A voice was injected into his thoughts, the same as his first commune. "You've done well." A beam of light shot down on the alter, and the corpse disintegrated. Nothing was left save the blood pooled in the center and Obelis' kris.

Enraged and betrayed, Obelis screamed, "What has this man done to wrong me?! Why have you killed him?!" The golden woman descended from the sky, just as before.

"I did not kill him. You sacrificed him in order to summon me. You are one step closer to redemption, but you've still a way to go." She seemed unmoved by Obelis' anger.

Seeing red, Obelis drew the spear from his back and swung it horizontally at the woman. However instead of hitting the target, the spear went into the light and out, with no time in between. I was as if the moment the spear touched the light and then simply appeared on the other side. Instantly, his mind was filled with thousands of thoughts pain, despair, misery, and he was flung back away from the alter.

It was several minutes before the thoughts faded, but the angel was gone and the bowl was once more empty. All he could do was retrieve his kris, but again, he had nowhere to go.{/slide}
{slide=Part Five - The End?|center}Obelis was considerable shaken by the encounter, but didn't know what he could do about it. He couldn't fight it. He couldn't overpower it. He couldn't do anything to it. The only thing he could do was run away. Get as far away from the alter as possible. As far of away from people as possible. As far away from-

His train of thought was violently derailed as he heard voices coming from the treeline. Unfortunately, he'd heard these voices before. They were the voices of the Redimet, an argument over "where she would have taken him."

Paralyzed, Obelis could only listen to the men approach, though by the minute he was growing more doubtful that they were men. It seemed an eternity before the leader stepped into the clearing, followed by two companions. "This is how you treat your superiors?!" one of the members raged, "You leave them to fight a dozen King's Guards on their own?! Because of you, one of our men has died today!" There was the word again, Obelis thought, "men." Miraculously, Obelis found the strength to stand.

"You are not my superiors. I am the master and you are the pawns!" Obelis' voice thundered and his eyes glowed.

All members of the Redimet appeared thoroughly humbled. "I am sorry. I had no idea this one would progress so quickly. You may slay me."

Back to himself, Obelis was simply dazed. "Why would I want to slay you?"

In less than a second, the Redimet was up from his kneeling position and had his hand around Obelis' neck. "Do it! In the name of the goddess!"

Aware but not in control, Obelis reached to his belt and drew his dagger in a reverse grip. In one smooth motion drove to blade under the leader's chin directly to his brain. Two acolytes down. Two to go.

The final recruit looked on in horror, he hadn't expected Obelis to actually go through with it. The leader, on the other hand, knew precisely what had happened and decided to...Speed up the process a bit. Deftly, he drew the black-bladed sabre from its sheath and effortlessly spun around to lop the surprised acolyte's head off. Not bothering to clean his blade, the leader sheathed the sabre in preference of the similarly colored claymore at his back.

And so two rivals stared each other down from across a clearing. One clad in silver and crimson to the north. One clad in black and gold to the south. "Yours weren't the only weapons recovered after the duel, Obelis."

"Eshro..." Obelis' voice was no more than a whisper.

Eshro heard nothing of Obelis' shock, but it was all to obvious on his face. "That's right. I'm alive. But you won't be." Unlike in their first duel, Eshro's gear was of impeccable quality. The blades were tempered and sharpened, and the armor was a different set altogether with golden claws digging into the ebony armor.

Before Obelis could even draw an appropriate weapon, Eshro was upon him swinging his claymore downward, reminiscent of his first attack. Obelis ducked under the blade and around the attacker and attempted to bury his dagger in the cult master's back. However, instead of a solid impact or even a glancing blow, there met no resistance. There was a target, but the dagger had passed straight through and Obelis fell flat on his face.

Laughing triumphantly, Eshro tapped his chest. "The goddess has blessed me. You cannot touch me!"

Determined and unchastened, Obelis stood and drew his hammer, simply dropping the kris. "I beg to diff-" before finishing the sentence, Obelis sprung forward, slamming the hammerhead into the claws in the center the Eshro's chest. In the short time they'd been 'allied' Obelis had learned a thing or two about being underhanded.

Thrown off balance, Eshro had to drop they heavy blade in favor of the light sabre at his belt. He swung the blade horizontally, hoping to end the worm before him the same way he did the acolyte, but steel met iron when Obelis intercepted the strike with his hammer. He used the momentum to spin and bring the hammer crashing into the claws at Eshro's back. Now that Obelis knew the key, there was no stopping him.

Enraged, the black knight struck again, this time at the shoulder. His blade struck the steel of Obelis' armor, but not where he had intended to. The knight had turned in such a way that the entire blade came across his back instead of one point of the blade in his shoulder. Due to the spread pressure, the blow simply glanced off and Eshro was once again foiled. That is to say bludgeoned. In the same turn that nullified the blow, he brought his hammer down on the claws at Eshro's collarbone.

Eshro made one last attempt to destroy the man who had failed him. He grabbed at the shaft of the hammer that was making such quick work of his defenses. His fingers found it and latched on, only for it to be twisted from his grasp. But it was enough. His sabre came down in another slash aimed at the defender's neck. Seeing red, he was sure his blade would find its mark, but felt no such satisfaction. The hammer that he had so fleetingly halted found its final target: The claws clutching at the bottom of the black night's ribs. It felt as if his heart was being ripped out of his chest and thorn into a vat of boiling oil. He collapsed on the ground, dead, before he could even revel in his death as other acolytes could.

Alone once more, Obelis truly felt it. No acolytes. No Redimet. No goddess. He was free.{/slide}[/accordion]

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Character limit OP. Please nerf.
[accordion=bcenter]
{slide=Part Six - The Wolves|center}Ocelot had been waiting outside for brother Korin to come out of the building. He was simply lounging, leaning against a tree on the far side of the cobbled street. He heard the chirp of a bird and he looked around for it, longing for the skies. He felt the vibrations of the earth beneath him, longing to be underground. He heard the sound of footsteps inside, longing to be inside.

After a few minutes, a new sound appeared, one that shouldn't have been there. People inside were shouting about a thief. Ocelot forwent all of the other sounds, dropped to all fours and sprang inside. The scene was already bad when Ocelot got inside. Blood, both fresh and old, spattered every wall. A thick mass of bodies formed a ring around two creatures: One a bear, there other a wolf. The animals were really tearing into each other with tooth and claw, nothing was held back.

There was another creature lying near the edge of the ring, this one appeared to be some sort of large lizard. Its throat showed three crimson lines that had barely bled yet. Korin saw him enter the room and screamed for him to run, and just as soon had a massive paw slammed into his canine jaw. Ocelot stared in horror as he saw his older brother take the blow. In a fury, half at his brother and half at his opponent, Ocelot pounced forward and sunk his teeth into the bear's neck, holding firm until it ceased its struggle.

Korin, bruised and bloodied, was impressed, but there was no time for that now. He reached down and took Ocelot by the scruff of his neck and practically drug him out of the building and down the street. It was quite a sight to see a sprinting man dragging a wolf behind him, though the humor didn't override their contempt for the mutants. It didn't take long for the crowd inside to give chase.

Korin literally threw his little brother into the air and dropped to all fours. Ocelot rolled during his transformation and followed his brother. He knew exactly where his brother was going, but needed to catch up to speak with him on the way.

"What the hell, Korin?!" Ocelot was livid the his brother had been taking part in an underground fighting ring, fighting his own kind no less!

Korin knew there was nothing he could say that wouldn't further infuriate his brother, and so he remained silent. Ocelot had to calm down eventually.

They ran in silence for a few minutes, while Ocelot gathered his thoughts. "At least tell me what happened in there. An underground fighting ring, really?"

"It's not what you think. The Basilisk- He stole something from someone, so I took action against him. Apparently death is too harsh a punishment punishment for a thief, and 'an eye for an eye' they said. Since I had killed someone, I had to be killed. The bear was the first to attack me, and so I was fighting him. Now I must ask, why the hell did you come in?!"

Ocelot was unconvinced. Korin had no reason to have left him outside unless he was doing something illegal. Thieves were almost always sentences to death, especially Foresters, as their race had come to be known. And then- "What is the purpose of that building if not for underground fights? The walls were covered in blood!"

Reluctantly, Korin had to give in, he knew there was no excuses for this one. "Alright, alright. I was fighting illegally with other Foresters. Happy now?!"

"Not quite. Why?"

"Look, Ocelot, I'm a fighter. The two of us living alone all the way out here is boring. There's nothing worthwhile to hunt!"

Ocelot understood his brother's position perfectly. He, too, was growing bored of the mundane creatures around them. He didn't need to say anything, his silence spoke for him.

Nearing the Den, the brothers slowed. Their race was always looked down upon because people feared them. Naturally, there would be times when they simply couldn't stay in town. The Den was a place for just that occaision, all foresters were welcome when they needed a place to stay. Korin, now humanoid, tapped on the wooden door with his ever present claws. He knew Boaris would admit them, but he while they may look like them, Foresters aren't beasts.

A burly man with small tusks opened his door. No one ever asked what beast he was, or where he got his name. He was smiling, but it faded a small bit when he saw them. The wolves were porbably his most frequent guests. He was worried for the boys. Being Foresters was bad enough, but having no parents to speak of surely didn't help their status. He greeted the brothers as he would anyone else, with a hot meal and a warm bed. He knew they'd talk bout it in the morning, they always did.{/slide}
{slide=Part Seven - Union|center}A slightly build man with wild eyes awakened among the clouds. For some reason beyond him, he was equipped with full armor and a personal arsenal of weapons: A spear, a hammer, and a wicked looking dagger. He could hear voices all around him, and every one of them seemed familiar, as if he knew them all, but he could pinpoint none. He could make out no words, but the message was clear: Cleanse.

He looked up, and all he could see was a clear blue sky. He looked to the sides, and it appeared as a plain had been swept by snow, but some parts were left untouched. He looked down, and his vision of himself stopped at his waist; he was standing in a cloud. He tried to take a step and he lost all feeling. He was falling out of the sky. In the split second of his fall, he noticed a familiar landscape: Tall pines, a circular-walled city, and a small log cabin.

Panicked, he shot up in his bed. The bed wasn't exactly his, he had offered a room in a place called "The Den." He knew the place was mostly reserved for members of a race of shapeshifters, Foresters some called them, but after explaining his situation to the tusked owner, he was told to stay as long as he needed. There were only two other guests at the time, two Foresters who's beasts appeared to be wolves.

The guests conversed over a kill that the wolves had brought in, a small deer. With the other guest in mind, they brought it back to be cooked instead of simply digging in on the spot. They talked about a variety of things, but it was mostly introductory. The older wolf asked the knight what a human was doing in the Den, and he was obligated to answer. He told his story, it wasn't exactly a happy one, but it was a story nonetheless. He shared every detail from when he killed the king, to when he killed the man who made him do it, to his quest for redemption with the Redimet, and finally the standoff between him and his somehow-still-alive 'partner.'

The wolf, Korin, was engrossed in the tale, and was tempted to ask the man to join him and his brother Ocelot. But join them where? They didn't have anywhere to go, that's why they spent so many restless nights in the Den. Boaris had always treated them like sons. They saw him as a father. They'd miss him if they left. But Boaris felt that way about all of his guests, that's why he opened the place to begin with. He'd seen hundreds of Foresters come and go, but never before had a human requested to stay in the Den.

Obelis sensed that his story was not complete. He had yet to mention his dream. Perhaps these wolves would know something he didn't? After much internal debate, he brought it up, making it sound like an afterthought. "I also had a dream this morning. I woke among the clouds and a thousand voices seemed to be telling me to 'cleanse' something. I tried to move and everything came crashing down. The voices stopped, and I was falling from the sky. I could see Glaend, I could see the forest, and I could see the Den."

Korin was the one to respond, but he seemed lost in thought and his voice was muddled. "Cleanse...." As he said the first word, his animal instinct alerted him to a presence outside. He continued speaking, or rather making noises that grew gradually more gutteral, as he moved slowly toward the door. The presence was around the side of the wooden building, and Ocelot felt it, too. Obelis watched on, amazed as the brothers' faces seemed to elongate seamlessly, their spines hunch, and their limbs shorten. He'd heard tales of Foresters, but he'd never seen one transform, or at all.

The front door had no lock, and Korin simply nudged it with his face and it opened effortlessly. All growling had ceased, and as soon as the wolves were outside, they were around the corner in a lightning sprint. Obelis tried to follow, but couldn't compete with the speed of these creatures. He caught only a glimpse of shadow fading away as he turned the corner. When he arrived, the brothers had been wolves, but by the time he realized what had happened, Korin was humanoid again, slamming his fist against the wall, angry that his quarry escaped him so easily. Ocelot kept a cooler head and spoke. "I think we found whatever it is you're supposed to cleanse."{/slide}
{slide=Part Eight - Interrupted|center}The trio had regrouped back at the Den, and Obelis explained to the wolves the significance of what had happened. He filled in all the gaps in the story he'd told them that morning, every last detail. He was in the process of drafting a map of previously visited altars when a man and a woman, both with leathery skin, burst through the door, unhinging it.

"Found you, wolf." The apparent leader's forked tongue darted quickly in and out of his mouth as he shouted venomously at the elder wolf. His last word was particularly vicious. The wolves bolted upright, flinging their seats across the room. Instantly, the bulky form of Boaris was imposing itself between the two parties.

The innkeeper's voice was guttural, and his tone was none too welcoming. "How many times have I told you three not to start fights in my inn? You know the rules: Anyone fighting in my building gets impaled."

The belligerent basilisk was uninhibited. "Impaled by what? Those twigs you call 'tusks'?"

Before Boaris could respond, Obelis thought it'd be best to diffuse the situation himself. "No. By this." He took the spear from his back and brandished it threateningly.

Boaris glared at Obelis, but did not try to stop him. The female basilisk however, jumped at him and swatted his spear away. From his position under the giant lizard, Obelis could feel huge razor claws piercing his armor and digging into his shoulders. "What are you going to impale me with now, human?"

Korin was in wolf form now, ready to pounce. He recognized these beasts from his last minutes in town. He knew why they were there, but he didn't know why Obelis was so quick to his defense. Ocelot, on the other hand, was standing by, puzzled. He didn't have a clue as to why the basilisks showed up, why his brother was so on edge, or why one of the lizards attacked his new friend.

Although it was painful to do so, Obelis could still move his arms. He reached for the right side of his belt, where his dagger was. As he did so, the claws that were gradually progressing through his armor and into his flesh sunk deeper. Obelis was losing a lot of blood, and with enormous effort he worked his arm between the beast's body and his own and drove the knife upward. The kris found its mark through the soft underbelly of the scaly creature and into its heart. Obelis struggled to rise as the deceased basilisk went limp on top of him.

Seeing the corpse of the lizard, something clicked in Ocelot's mind. He'd seen this before. This was the same sort of scaly creature that he saw dying before. These basilisks were here to avenge their fallen kin by slaying the wolf who ended his life. Instantly, Ocelot was on the attack. He would bring the fight to the lizards before he'd let them touch his brother. He lunged forward with a snarl, aiming to tear the leader's throat out, but neither teeth nor claws could pierce the basilisk's stone skin.

The reptile merely smacked the young wolf away with its heavy tail and threw itself at Korin. Korin pounced as well and the two creatures collided. The lizard was twice the size of the wolf and had the weight to match. Korin didn't stand a chance; he was pinned to the ground just as Obelis had been. Unlike the human, however, Korin had no armor to protect him from the talons of the beast.

Bleeding heavily and on the verge of death, Korin had given up struggling. He accepted that it was time for him to pay for what he'd done. He'd killed out of cold blood. Before he lost consciousness, he muttered two simple words: "I'm sorry." He knew it was too little and too late, but he felt better for saying it, as if an enormous weight had been lifting off of him. No, not lifted. Torn. The basilisk was flying across the room, propelled by a ball of snarling brown fur.{/slide}
{slide=Part Nine - Em|center}"It's a package deal with these two," Boaris was saying, "You take them in, you take in their past. I couldn't count the number of times the two've stayed here. Every time a different reason."

Obelis was quiet for a moment, connecting bits of information he'd learned about Korin. "I see...He may have omitted the part about Basilisks wanting him dead. He's going to pull through, right?"

Boaris looked his guest straight in the eye, knowing that the outlook was grim. "I couldn't tell you. Em's doing all she can."

As if on cue, a tall, thin woman with pointed ears and long green hair came upstairs. Boaris and Obelis were afraid to take Korin upstairs to be treated, so they'd gone themselves. Ocelot stayed down to see his brother through until the bitter end. "Korin should be fine. I've stopped the bleeding, but he's lost a lot of blood. I'm just glad I'm here to clean his wounds and not the bar."

Boaris was immediately standing and embracing the dryad who had saved the wolf that he saw as his son. His smile was wide and curled around his tusks in a way that looked more serious than he felt. "Thank you, Em. I knew you'd pull him through. You always do."

Emilia smiled and subtly disengaged herself from the burly man holding her hostage in his arms. "He wouldn't have had a chance if you hadn't intervened. Don't you have rules against violent contact in your bar?"

The barkeep took a step back and rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed. "I...Made an exception."

Led by Emilia, the trio headed downstairs to see the wolves. Ocelot had received only minor bruises, but Korin had gotten severe wounds in each of his shoulders and a large gash across his chest. He was lying on a table, his upper body almost completely bandaged.

Upon seeing the others arrive, Korin propped himself up on his elbow, wincing only slightly. "Thanks, Em. I feel a lot better." Ocelot's reaction was a bit unenthusiastic considering his brother was lucky to even be with all of his limbs; he simply sat and stared.

Emilia simply smiled at the wolf. Adolecents can be so resilient... "If that will be all, I bid you four farewell, unless I am needed for anything else." She shifted her gaze around the room, looking to everyone for a response.

Emilia started to to turn and Obelis threw out his arm on her shoulder. "Actually, there is something I need help with." The dryad spun around and smiled, pleased that she could still be of service. "Have you ever heard of something called the Redimet?"

At the name, Em's eyes closed and every muscle in her body relaxed, as if she was searching every crevice of her being. Without opening her eyes she asked, "What is it you wish to know?"

Obelis payed no mind to the woman's strange behavior, she had information, and he needed it. "Rituals. Do you know if they do any sort of sacrifices? What are their methods of recruiting? Do they do anything specific with altars?"

Her voice was cool and smooth, as if she was speaking not with her voice, but with her essence. "Sacrifices, yes. They drain the blood of the sacrifices into altars to commune with their godess, Chaurum. As for recruiting: They find someone who has done something wrong, make them feel endebted, and convince them that the Redimet is the road to redemption."

Obelis listened intently to her every word. "And is it? The road to redemption, I mean."

The dryad opened her eys and shook her head. "I can only tell you what is solid fact. That answer varies, and thus I cannot know it. I'm sorry."

Obelis smiled and placed his hand on her shoulder. "Thank you," he said simply, "You have helped me a great deal." Emilia smiled, nodded, and exited the building through the still shattered door frame.{/slide}
{slide=Part Ten - The End.|center}A week had passed and Korin had made a full recovery, if a little scarred. In the meantime, Obelis had spoken with Boaris and Ocelot about all manner of things. Most of it tribial, they were just passing the time. Obelis had grown fond of the young wolves and dreaded the possibility of leaving them behind. He wanted desperately to take down the Redimet, but just as important to him was the company of the brothers.

The trio set out once more, their destination clear. They were heading to the fourth and final altar. During the time of Korin's recovery, Obelis had drafted a map of Glaend and the surrounding area. The altars he had previously visited were all equidistant from the city walls and at even intervals. If the region was a clock, the previous altars would be at the two, five and eight o'clock positions. Through reasoning, Obelis concluded that it'd be only logical for the fourth and presumably final altar to be at the eleven o'clock position to the northwest of town.

The party passed through town, garnering dirty looks from the people who had all but forgotten what they had done. Well, one of them. No one could forgot the man who murdered King Turkin. As for the others, they were simply Foresters, and that alone was sufficient reason to stare. The group was then faced with the familiar scene of forest, after all, it surrounded the city entirely. They went through the forest unbothered. Which is to say, there was nothing there to bother them. There was no birdsong, no chirping crickets, no anything. It was just them and the sound of their boots crunching the fallen leaves.

The party eventually came upon a clearing. Naturally. They'd reached the destination they'd set out to. But something was missing. Obelis had grown used to the lack of natural sound; it was something else. It was as if he could feel a presence, but nothing was with him but the wolves. That was it! There was nothing! The altar wasn't there! This was clearly where the altar should have been, but why wasn't it there? He remembered when he had struck out at the 'angel' that spoke with him, Chaurum they called it. He'd just been floating there, suspending in time. But even then the altar was there. The altar was the only thing there.

Unconsciously, Obelis reached for his ever present kris and approached the center of the clearing. Unaware of himself, he extended his left hand, and grasped the dagger in his right. He felt the blade cut his skin, he felt his hot blood run down his palm. And he felt. He could actually feel again. He looked around incredulously, and saw that nothing was moving. He could move and see and feel, but...Nothing else could. He was left to wonder for minutes until he'd bled enough to allow Chaurum to come down.

"Godess," he said, "I have come to offer you my final sacrifice."

The floating being glared down at him imperiously. "That is good, child, but it is not your final. You're nearing the end of your quest. Soon you'll finally be able to call yourself 'Redeemed.'"

"Tell me. What must I do?"

"Come." For the first time, Obelis saw the ethereal being leave an altar. "I will guide you."

Obelis could not remember the trip, or that he had even left the clearing, but he was standing in the center of town with the Goddess and the wolves. There was no one to be seen, and the world around him seemed dull and grey. The only thing he could see in detail was the marble fountain. It was the centerpiece of the city, admired by all of Glaend's inhabitants. The walls of buildings formed a near perfect circle around the fountain, broken only by roads.

The world spun and Obelis saw double. The next thing he knew, he was standing at the edge of the fountain, elder wolf bent over the side of it with a knife at his neck. Obelis could feel the Goddess, no. The demon. Pushing him to murder his friend. In the silence, Obelis could hear the knife slice into flesh, hear blood start to drip and mingle with the water of the fountain. He pulled back, resistant, and threw his bleeding companion away from him. As he did so, Ocelot was thrown to him, but he caught the juvenile and restrained the the urge to slice him open.

Obelis turned to where the boy was thrown from and saw her...It. The beautiful being that had once talked to him so sweetly had been replaced by a snarling beast. It was hunched over and bipedal. Long talons protruded from its fingertips, and odd tufts sprung haphazardly from its body. Without hesitation, Obelis charged. He didn't bother to change his weapon, he knew the kris would suffice. The demon lashed out at him, and caught him with its claws, leaving deeps gashes. But it got in no further hits. Obelis tackled it to the ground and plunged his knife mercilessly into it. The throat, the chest, the shoulder, he didn't bother aiming, he was just stabbing.

The world around him cleared. Slowly, he heard screams rising in volume, as if his ears had been covered. He saw fleeing people come into focus. The air smelled metallic and think with the stench of blood. The fountain in the center of town: Running red. Those who weren't running at top speed away from the murderer going on a killing spree in the center of town were lying lifeless of the ground, they couldn't run fast enough. Obelis recognized some of the faces lying still. Among them: Korin. Ocelot. Emelia. In fact, Emelia was lying under him, mutilated. He realized in horror that he'd not been redeeming himself, but playing himself into the hands of a demon.

As he saw it, he had only one option. He clenched his dagger in both hands, pointing the blade towards himself. He squeezed his eyes shut and braced himself as the dagger found its mark. Obelis fell as the crimson stream flowed steadily from his neck.

A familiar voice spoke to him. "Welcome. You've done well."{/slide}[/accordion]

• Haha

Willchill

Reaction score
Something I wrote in English. I haven't really read it over or anything because I can't be bothered. Not sure if I like the beginning, though.
The snow had come weeks early this year - the leaves were still on the trees. It chilled him to the bone. His entire body was cold and numb. The snow that somehow made its way into his boots had partly melted, dampening his favourite shoes as well as his mood. He sighed to himself. Things were certainly unpleasant.

He'd fallen asleep on the train, nose stuck into a book, and woke to the acrid smell of burning fuel and singed hair. Smoke filled the carriage, which now lay upside-down a few metres off the tracks. Artyom heaved himself out the door, his head spinning and his body aching all over, and was surrounded by endless pine forests floored with knee-deep snow. Feeling a different kind of ache in his stomach, Artyom went back into the train to look for food and anyone else who may have survived the crash.

An hour or so later, Artyom emerged from the train carrying enough food and water to last for at least a few days. He'd taken a large fur designer jacket and a matching bag from one of the wealthy women in first class, as his thin woollen jumper wouldn't do much to keep out the cold, and he had nothing else to carry his supplies in. It pained him to take things from the people that weren't as lucky as him, but there was no other choice. If he wanted to have a chance at surviving, he would need to steal from them. With that thought in mind, he set off along the tracks.

After some days, Artyom became hungry and weak. His supplies were becoming scarce and there had been nothing aside from the snow, trees and, of course, the train tracks. The metal rods that went on and on. Artyom knew they were meant lead somewhere, but it didn't seem like these ones did. He sighed and trudged along.

It had been two days since he had finished off his water supply, and Artyom felt hollow. Hours ago, he found a small cabin in the woods, where decided that his journey would come to a close. Judging by the gaping holes and rot, it was built a long time ago. Inside was a small, rusted bed and a desk, which held a rather short candle and a few matches. As the night drew near, he struck a match, lit the candle and lay upon the bed. Artyom watched the candle burn. It lit up the room with its warm yellow light. It comforted him.

As the candle burnt lower and lower, Artyom reflected on the last few days. Waking in the train. Stealing from the dead passengers. Walking through miles and miles of snow. He drew the coat tighter around himself. It had once smelled of a sweet perfume, but now only sweat and grime. It was tight on him on the day he got it, but now it seemed huge. He looked back at the candle and noticed it had almost burnt out. Artyom was sad that it would soon be gone. He closed his eyes. He couldn't bare to see it go out. He didn't want it to go. But it went, as all things must, sooner or later. And with it went Artyom.

Reactions: ReyvnNova