Games to Expand Into

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
In short, list games you think we can move into - either games we could potentially host that you think would be fun/popular, or games that the community largely actively play together but we can't host.

Alternatively, respond discussing if you think suggested servers would be a good/bad idea.

Team fortress 2
Team Fortress 2: Surf
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Counter Strike: Global Offensive Surf
Garrysmod Jailbreak
Garrysmod Cinema
Garrysmod TTT
Garrysmod DarkRp
Garrysmod Zombie Survival

Last edited:

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
For CS:GO, have both a server and some support for 'teams' in an official Steam group or similar. Much like League of Legends, the game expands far beyond servers and especially in competitive modes people will prefer to play with friends. Can't speak much for the other games.

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Starbound! Its a great game, is not a resource hog I think, is relatively inexpensive ($15), and I know that 29 of my current steam friends own it (99% Blocktopian) and I would absolutely play on a SB server with everyone.

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna be ousted as an idiot and tasteless for this, but

CoD4

borderline classic with no real outstanding cons to it, and most comps nowadays can run it, its cheap, worth a try imo. got a few friends on here into it

Reactions: Jivvi

JtTorso

Reaction score
I've played on a couple Terraria servers that we well managed. I know Terraria has been suggested a lot but it's not a bad option. Back when it was relatively new we used to have a server hosted by one of the classic zombie staff and we always had good turnouts. It updates less frequently than it used to and I believe the software for it is more stable than Minecraft. Everyone owns to by now, it's normally really cheap and goes on sale a lot.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we need to initially lay out if our plan is to have several events with a schedule set up and such with few permanent servers (Minecraft+Game1+Game2+Constant Event 1?), OR if we want some permanent servers and less events (Minecraft+Game1+Game2+Game3+Rotating Game 4+Event1)? We can definitely be flexible but we should set up a course of action here before throwing out a game and backing it up.

Will reply to what's been said -

For CS:GO, have both a server and some support for 'teams' in an official Steam group or similar. Much like League of Legends, the game expands far beyond servers and especially in competitive modes people will prefer to play with friends. Can't speak much for the other games.
Having a cs:go team would be pretty cool, not sure how many people we have who are "competitively able"? Also having a bit of an intramural league or something would be very fun.

Starbound! Its a great game, is not a resource hog I think, is relatively inexpensive ($15), and I know that 29 of my current steam friends own it (99% Blocktopian) and I would absolutely play on a SB server with everyone.
Haven't played it much, I'd say a game night or event would be a great option, not sure how widespread it is to add it to a permanent server lineup.

I'm gonna be ousted as an idiot and tasteless for this, but

CoD4

borderline classic with no real outstanding cons to it, and most comps nowadays can run it, its cheap, worth a try imo. got a few friends on here into it
It's a good game, not many people I know on here have it really. If the numbers are there, a good option, though I'm not sure how sustainable a permanent server would be here either.

I've played on a couple Terraria servers that we well managed. I know Terraria has been suggested a lot but it's not a bad option. Back when it was relatively new we used to have a server hosted by one of the classic zombie staff and we always had good turnouts. It updates less frequently than it used to and I believe the software for it is more stable than Minecraft. Everyone owns to by now, it's normally really cheap and goes on sale a lot.
This is a pretty solid idea, my 0.2 hours of Terraria don't give me much experience with it BUT it's a decent option. I feel that it's a game that could be exhausted like Minecraft, and eventually it will die out a bit, so either we do a permanent servers with monthly resets (or however long it takes to fill up) or a long-term event once in a while.

These are just my thoughts on the matter so far.

JtTorso

Reaction score
superstein Monthly map resets are pretty standard for Terraria servers, I've seen servers that have PvP arenas, Boss arenas, chests that contain all the items so players can build which I liked personally for building, preset spawns, honestly it's similar to Minecraft servers in a lot of ways but you can do a little more since building isn't as much of a necessity like in Minecraft.

As for starbound, I have 101 hours in it and I personally don't like it but if enough people want it then I would gladly see a server, be it permanent or temporary. I played on a server with two other friends and it wasn't a fun experience but things might be different with a lot of people, I don't know if the game is as popular as terraria but it seems popular among those who've played Terraria and I think we should test the waters and see how that goes. The issues with it are that I don't know anything about starbound servers and I know they semi-regularly update the game, more so than minecraft now I believe.

The turnout for our TTT was really good at first and I had a lot of fun with it personally, maybe we can bring it back every couple months. Other Gmod servers are always an option, maybe we can cycle through them if they're stable enough.

As for the FPS games like CS:GO and CoD4, I have no real opinion since that's not a genre I play, I know CS:GO is fairly popular among a handful of players here so it's an option that I feel wouldn't be fruitless.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
I think a good place to start is by asking how many do you see us hosting? When you think of this overhaul when it's finished, how many games do you think will be plausible for us?

I really like the idea of rotating an event one like super said; Garrysmod being a good option because of the different gamemodes. Wouldn't it be easy to pick 1 for a set amount of time and afterwards bring it back with a different gamemode? I'm asking because I don't know, haha. It's as someone in this thread already said: TTT was popular when it first came out and then not so much later (as many requested servers are...) Therefore, I'd be interested in seeing it rotated to keep it fresh.

ALTHOUGH (as the rambling continues), that could be a perfect counter arguement to keep it as a permanent one since it can be changed like that, possibly always keeping it engaging.

I'm an indecisive person. All I know is, I'd like to see it have a place in our line-up.

I'll come back with game suggestions of my own.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Kay, so my ideas for how we'd do this is:
  • We have 1-3 non-Minecraft servers running at a time. We keep them up for a month minimum, if they get good attendance and begin to grow a community within itself then we can consider keeping it permanently.
  • We rotate these around to different games, run event nights on these servers (e.g. release night, closing night)
  • We can still do smaller events if there are certain games that wouldn't cater to having month long servers, and still do game nights, naturally
Yes no maybe so?

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I seem to recall something about Valve doing something to cause TF2 servers to get a lot less players or something. Can't for the likes of me remember what, but I'll ask around and see if I can't find out.

JtTorso

Reaction score
I seem to recall something about Valve doing something to cause TF2 servers to get a lot less players or something. Can't for the likes of me remember what, but I'll ask around and see if I can't find out.
I believe it was something about Valve prioritizing their servers above others and this allegedly caused a handful of communities to go under, or something like that. Don't recall who had mentioned it but it was during one of our SMP meetings. I also don't know much about TF2, so I can't verify any authenticity of this.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe it was something about Valve prioritizing their servers above others and this allegedly caused a handful of communities to go under, or something like that. Don't recall who had mentioned it but it was during one of our SMP meetings. I also don't know much about TF2, so I can't verify any authenticity of this.
On Tf2: Sounds about right - at the moment the 'Play now' will default to strictly valve servers. More likely a move to get some consistency in terms of what servers you play on.

Only gamemode not covered by this, to my knowledge - is Arena. Where you still need to hunt down servers yourself. I don't know off by heart how much support there is for an active arena server but, Might be worth a try.

The core reason that I think most other servers get popular is for having a number of friendly players on that actually use Microphone. Could go completely off the wall crazy and do a Tf2 server that requires a mic to play? Otherwise might be worth investigating how popular TF2 servers are staying afloat.

Also I wouldn't necessarily be too put off by the lack of responses - One of the reasons we're moving to other games is to attract new players, not to appease our current playerbase. If we spent all day trying to appease our current playerbase we will end up with - surprise surprise - mostly the same players. So rather than looking for any majority support for a particular game, just pick individual game ideas from the form - think about if you'd enjoy running them for a month, if yes, chuck them down on a list and we'll try them at some stage.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Results, a bit disappointing (though I'm sure we will get more as time goes on a bit)
-snip-
Anyone with link can view, so don't share around pls :D

TF2 payload seems to be preferred mode out of what people said for TF2, handy to keep in mind if we do run TF2.
runescape4evur

Last edited by a moderator:

tnm

Reaction score
I can see a TF2 server dying out quite quickly- yes as an event server, but not as a server we're going to keep up for a reasonable amount of time. Garry's Mod would certainly be an option; it's a game loads of people have and is extremely customisable with the various gamemodes (if it becomes popular, we could even start looking into creating a custom gamemode / server). I'm sure Prizyms will be in favour of a csgo server- I don't have the game myself although I can't see why we couldn't use it/

On the topic of other games, what are we doing for non server staff ranks? I know last time with the TTT server HC's that had staff power on other minecraft servers didn't on there, so I was wondering if they would have moderator or just default player (also applies to other minecraft servers)

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I can see a TF2 server dying out quite quickly- yes as an event server, but not as a server we're going to keep up for a reasonable amount of time. Garry's Mod would certainly be an option; it's a game loads of people have and is extremely customisable with the various gamemodes (if it becomes popular, we could even start looking into creating a custom gamemode / server). I'm sure Prizyms will be in favour of a csgo server- I don't have the game myself although I can't see why we couldn't use it/

On the topic of other games, what are we doing for non server staff ranks? I know last time with the TTT server HC's that had staff power on other minecraft servers didn't on there, so I was wondering if they would have moderator or just default player (also applies to other minecraft servers)
Someone mentioned the idea of a TF2 Jailbreak server, it sounds kind of fun, but not sure how long it could last really.

Garry's Mod I'm not particularly well versed in, I'll leave it to others to suggest gamemode ideas or whatever, but I know there's plenty of options.

CS:GO there are tons of options, can list a few:
a casual-competitive style server could work (we make it 5v5, just like competitive but a casual style)
a surf server (others find it fun, me not so much)
a zombie survival server (I haven't tried it much, I find that they are the most popular kinds of servers however)
a full on casual server

JtTorso

Reaction score
What if we quite frequently changed up the gm0d game type after a set amount of time, I think this could keep things fresh so servers don't over stay their welcome.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Hm,

One thing i'd like to pitch in - I don't want to suddenly open up into a bunch of games. We should be nailing one game-mode at a time and perfecting that.

If we open up 2-3 different new game servers, we're just going to spread ourselves too thin and provide shitty content.

I'm honestly leaning towards Garrysmod servers, namely TTT or Jailbreak.

Reactions: myusername22
Status
Not open for further replies.