• Do enderpearls! :D

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Do potion effects! :D

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
I've recently started a new map called Floating Forest. Here's what it looks like so far:

First question I want to ask you guys is: should I continue making the map?

My second question is a bit more detailed.
I am planning to have jumping from island to island be done in two ways:
  • Lots of enderpearls included in the kits
  • Slight speed and slight jump as a potion effect
Which one do you think I should do?

ealev

Leafy Op
Reaction score
I think it looks rather nice.

As for getting around, I wouldn't suggest enderpearls. They hurt you a little bit, and if you're constantly trying to escape, you could kill yourself rather easily.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score

As for getting around, I wouldn't suggest enderpearls. They hurt you a little bit, and if you're constantly trying to escape, you could kill yourself rather easily.
However if fall damage is off I don't think they do damage? But I could be wrong.
Anyways, I do think you should use jump boosts, as I think it may be hassle waiting to be thrown to island after island and in my opinion could get annoying. Carry on with it though! :)

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score

Well, look at platforms for example. People die a lot on that map due to the ladders, I think that enderpearls would be a great way to get around as long as the damage is disabled!

ealev

Leafy Op
Reaction score
Well, look at platforms for example. People die a lot on that map due to the ladders, I think that enderpearls would be a great way to get around as long as the damage is disabled!
However, people may be accused of teamkilling with enderpearls flying around; if someone on your team gets hit with an enderpearl, they still take some damage.

Olix

Reaction score
Yes! You should continue making the map :D Luckily, at this early stage in development, I feel that it should be pretty easy for you to make changes. Here's what I think about the map so far.

The map design is good, and I like the style of the islands, but I feel that this particular theme of map is slightly overused - Forest: be it floating or flat. Also, if you were to use jump boost, there is a high chance that players will miss the jump by a little and fall off by hitting the edge of an island.

To solve both of these problems, you could go with a floating jungle theme. Jungle maps aren't terribly common on the server (at least maps with jungle being the main theme), and the main advantage would be to have an excuse to have vines spammed around each island. Vines would be easy for players to grab onto even if they miss a jump slightly, so that would minimize void deaths. If players are dying by the environment more than by hunters, I don't feel it's a particularly well made map ;) (unless of course that is the main purpose of the map...)

Don't feel restricted by this suggestion however, if you want to go the ender pearl route, then an alternative theme option instead of forest could be desert. "Fragmented Desert" or something like that, with large and small slivers of sandy and rocky desert floating around, requiring enderpearl precision to go navigate.

I personally would prefer the jungle option, just because of the unreliability of enderp earls. This is just my opinion however, you should think about it on you own and look at other suggestions to make the final decision. Good luck with the map, I hope to see it submitted sometime :)

Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Vines would be easy for players to grab onto even if they miss a jump slightly, so that would minimize void deaths. If players are dying by the environment more than by hunters, I don't feel it's a particularly well made map ;) (unless of course that is the main purpose of the map...)
Vines'll be easy to grab onto when falling into void sure, with the help of crouch. But I think survivors would rather be running around than stuck on vines having to crouch for 10 minutes of the game! I don't particularly see it being a fun if the jungle trees get in the way when trying to jump (due to their size) and the vines will slow down survivors which will start to irritate them a lot.

Olix

Reaction score
Vines'll be easy to grab onto when falling into void sure, with the help of crouch. But I think survivors would rather be running around than stuck on vines having to crouch for 10 minutes of the game! I don't particularly see it being a fun if the jungle trees get in the way when trying to jump (due to their size) and the vines will slow down survivors which will start to irritate them a lot.
I can see the way you took my suggestion, but unlike Mayhem, I was suggesting vines that just covered the sides of the islands, no further (similar to the ladders on the sides of platforms in the map "Platforms"). You can restrict vine growth simply by putting a piece of floating tripwire beneath each vine, and while it would take awhile to construct, would successfully eradicate the problem. Also, the islands could just be a little bit bigger, with empty grass space around where players would be making jumps to other islands.

With the jungle theme, I wasn't necessarily suggesting you use the default jungle trees; in my opinion those are rather blocky and yes, hard to navigate. I know this may be difficult to build, but I personally love custom made trees, and with certain VoxelSniper brushes you can create beautiful, curving jungle trees with a command and a click. It's kind of hard to describe this with words; I may add a screenshot here shortly to show my point, but in the meantime I hope you understand that I'm not suggesting default jungles, but completely custom built jungles on larger islands.

Excepted

Reaction score
I think you should continue m making the map but use the potion effects ( I'm not a big fan of enderpearls) What you have done so far is nice keep it up!

william8

Reaction score
Website
z15.invisionfree.com
It looks pretty cool, i give it a 9/10 rating. you should use enderpearls, but also some chests nearby for like arrows, etc. you should also build a bridge between each of the floating islands.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
It looks pretty cool, i give it a 9/10 rating. you should use enderpearls, but also some chests nearby for like arrows, etc. you should also build a bridge between each of the floating islands.
It isn't finished yet, but thank you for your opinion! I was actually planning to put bridges between some islands and the chests just haven't been placed yet, but thank you for your suggestions!