Map Name: Gardens Of Persia
Map Authors: HKCaper
Game Type: FFA
Map Worldborder: it is a square of 101 by 101 blocks
Download: /warp GardensOfPersia
Game Time: time set 0 (dawn)
Round Time: 420 seconds
Prep Time: 20 seconds
Jump Pads: There are 4 Jump Pads, 1 in each corner, in the same spot. Each should launch a player 11 blocks up.
Spawn Location: There are 8 spawn locations, 2 one each side, in the same spots
Kits:
All kits should have depth strider III leather boots, Speed II effect, and Night Vision effect.
1. Xerxes(Yellow shulker): Chain Chestpiece, Wood Sword, Bow, 32 Arrows, Pufferfish
2. Darius(Green shulker):Red Leather Chestpiece, 2 Iron Axes, HKCaper's Head (important!)
3. Cyrus(Blue shulker): Iron Chestpiece, 2 Wooden Swords
4. Cambyses(Red shulker): Purple Leather Hat, Purple Leather Chestpiece, Stone Sword, Bow, 16 Arrows
Notes: There is a jukebox and some disks in the map, which players should be able to use.

tiny shoutout to Arelic for helping with the "good gardens"

Last edited:
Reactions: Iggish
G

Guest35486

Hi HK, thanks for the map submission!

The map looks great and overall works well together aesthetically. Some of the signs are pretty amazing, too. However, I do have some worries for the gameplay.

Overall, the map is very flat and plain. I'm not saying that you need more decoration, but that your map doesn't have a lot of variation in terrain. The majority of the areas on this map is open and flat surface. While having additional elements to the map (such as utilizing parkour or mazes) is not required, it does make Infection maps more interesting.

The water portions of the map may be annoying. I understand that players do not have to go in the water to escape Hunters. However, even with Depth Strider III, it feels slow to go across the water. The slabs may be annoying if the player is actively swimming as well.

While it's a bit too big, the structure/format of the map feels more like a FFA map in my opinion.

HKCaper

Almighty Goat
Reaction score
Hey Arelic, ty for your response.

I first want to say that I see your concerns and do agree with what you said. Let's first discuss the overall map. When making the map I spent so much time on exterior, I do feel like the interior of fell behind (something I later tried to compensate for with some good ol' signs). I will think some more about what I could add and i'll come back to it when I do (ideas from anyone are welcome).

About the water. I have come up with some possible solutions and would like hear which on you see would work:
- Speed II effect.
- Move slabs / reorganise slab structure.
- Remove water (this is a terrible one since it would destroy the whole map appeal, but ill put in here anyway).
- Really speedy boots (like those from lantern square, fyi I had these on the entire time when i was building, felt prtty great, but might be too fast for inf)
- adding more boats
- (feel free to add)

I'd like to hear what any of you think :)

HKCaper

Almighty Goat
Reaction score
RoF map of same name and at least very similar design
I changed the name of the map, to avoid too much confusement. In addition, the map has undergone several changes (mostly having to do with the things Arelic pointed out, so it looks a bit different as well from what is orignially was.

I want to thank you for pointing this out :)

G

Guest35486

Hi HK, thanks for making some changes!
- Speed II effect.
- Move slabs / reorganise slab structure.
These were the main two changes we've discussed in-game. Stairs do work a lot better and I'm glad to see the change. (Bless structure voids) Speed II definitely makes the gameplay smoother, so I would say add this to the kits. We've also discussed the possibility of using night vision, especially with the addition of the underground area. My suggestion is to include it if you're keeping that area.

While the map does look and feel a lot better, but I'm still concerned about how it'll feel in-game. It might be better to alter the underground area so that it's less of a maze, since mazes don't always work well in Infection. Maybe make it more open? Other than that, I still think your map could use more terrain variation to make the gameplay more interesting.

G

Guest35486

Since the last post, the map has been updated to a FFA map. While this does solve some of the concerns, I would like to discuss other aspects of the map.
Kits:
All kits should have depth strider III leather boots, Speed II effect, and Night Vision effect.
1. Xerxes(Yellow shulker): Chain Chestpiece, Wood Sword, Bow, 32 Arrows, Pufferfish
2. Darius(Green shulker):Red Leather Chestpiece, 2 Iron Axes, HKCaper's Head (important!)
3. Cyrus(Blue shulker): Iron Chestpiece, 2 Wooden Swords
4. Cambyses(Red shulker): Purple Leather Hat, Purple Leather Chestpiece, Stone Sword, Bow, 16 Arrows
Firstly, I would like to talk about the kits. Overall, they look good and relate to the theme of the map. However, I suggest reducing the amount of arrows for the Xerxes and Cambyses kits. Both kits have enough arrows for them to last quite a while, especially since Cambyses also has a stone sword. Bows can be pretty powerful on this map, since water does restrict the players' movements, making them easy targets for players with bows. Also, both the Darius and Cambyses kits have weapons that deal the same amount of damage, but Cambyses gets additional armor as well as bow and arrows. The kit itself is pretty strong compared to the other kits. The Cyrus kit seems rather lacking and could use an additional element such as enderpearls, especially when there are kits with bows.

After the kits, I also want to discuss the map. While I did mention that the structure would work better as a FFA map, there are some areas that seem unnecessary or may cause issues. Opening up the top of the map does allow players to travel between the platforms faster through the jump pads. One of my concerns is the water around the lower part of the map. While every kit does get depth strider and speed, the outer ring seems unnecessary and could cause trouble for players trying to get out of the water. Players with bows can easily prevent others from escaping by shooting down at them since the staircases and waterfalls are the main ways up. Other than that, players may simply run around in circles to heal when they're low and may cause others to be frustrated or bored. Players with bows that stay in the trees or under the stairs will also be hard to kill when the other players do not have bows. Overall, it is quite a big map and will need adjustments and possibly a minimum player count.

HKCaper

Almighty Goat
Reaction score
Hi Arelic, ty for replying my map and giving feedback ;)

First I want to say that I will have another look at the kits, taking your comments into consideration.

For your comments on the map, there are quite a bit of points I do not fully agree with (but would be willing to compromise). For now I will reply to each of your concerns.

1. Outer ring of the map.
One of my concerns is the water around the lower part of the map. While every kit does get depth strider and speed, the outer ring seems unnecessary and could cause trouble for players trying to get out of the water. Players with bows can easily prevent others from escaping by shooting down at them since the staircases and waterfalls are the main ways up.
I see what you mean, however the outer ring was intentioned as a safe place, where you could run around to seek safety. I believe you might even move faster in the water than on land, making players able to escape certain death by going into the outer ring. Yes, they will be more vulnerable to bows, however as you said yourself:
Other than that, players may simply run around in circles to heal when they're low and may cause others to be frustrated or bored.
There have to be risk aswell for going into the outer ring. I personally do not think players will have an issue getting up the staircases when being shot at, since they move fast and the staircases are wide enough to juke. I have another comment on this quote, but that will come in point 3.

2.Players camping in trees with bows.
Adjusting kits should fix this imo. Once they are out of arrows they will have to jump down, besides players can run to the other side of the map, out of range from these campers. Overall the different levels were put in to provide for bow-play aswell.

3. Size of map.
Overall, it is quite a big map and will need adjustments and possibly a minimum player count.
Minimum player count for ffa... personally not a fan of that. I like to play ffa whenever there are only 2 or 3 people on over other gamemodes.
Also the you say the map is quite big, but it really isnt much bigger than maps like Frostfall or Narrows, where players can also run around the map to heal.

So, I think optimizing the kits will improve the map and is something I will definitely do. Changes to the map I am not sure about. I think all (most) things you mentioned aren't that strange for a FFA map, and will not cause problems. If you have anything specific you really want fixed/changed I will be very glad to hear about it, but in my eyes the map overall is good as it is.

G

Guest35486

Thanks for the map submission, HK!

After all the changes the map has gone though, we've decided to test it out. We'll try the current kits, but will likely modify them later on. The map is now on the server. Please let Comp know if there are any issues.

Accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.