Feedback & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, while we have a few well-needed updates lined up, we've rather hit a few problems - so let me start this post by saying i'd like any user willing to feedback with their opinion on the server, and what they'd like to see - either immediately or in future.

Second - what do you think we should do concerning the fact a new ore has come out - the map seems too big to simply expand the borders, do we do an immediate reset or put it off for a month or so and simply bite the bullet? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this !

Thanks in advance.

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
For the new ore, is it possible to take the map with worldedit or something like it and then replace "x" number of smooth stone into emeralds? That way you don't have to do a map reset. And we have the new ore. If not I would not prefer a map reset, but I could accept it.

For things I would like to see added, I would like the /lag cmd available again. (If it hasn't been restored yet)

And possibly consider adding "skills" (Which would be somewhat like the profession skills in Primordia. But it would be just only one skill per player selected at the beginning. And once you select one of these skills , you cannot change your skill. Examples of skill abilities could be 1. Fall a little farther without taking damage 2. Your hunger bar decreases at a slightly slower rate 3. Your heart regeneration rate is slightly faster 4. You gain 1-2 more exp orbs when you make a kill 5. Food restores a little more of your hunger bar 6. Hunger won't kill you (would be just like what it is like in SMP already) 7. You can stay underwater a little bit longer.
There could be more options for skills, but the key is to make them not over powered just a slight, slight increase in what they would be normally. (I personally liked the skills, but I totally understand if this would be too many plugins for what you want in this SMP ;))

Hope this feedback helps!

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest proponent in tweaking individual skills, as it leads to overpowered players and lots of problems for staff for setting it up as well fixing them if something goes wrong (Just what I saw during the Primordia era) . While it's a good idea to specialize like that, I'm not sure if the Minecraft PVP system is built to be able to manipulate all these things and still keep a balanced and enjoyable game for the benefit of the whole community.

One suggestion of mine would be to place more of an importance on community building through /clan plugins or whatnot (don't hate me if this isn't possible :p ). I'd just like to see more stuff like this to be more inclined to enjoy my experience. (I like colorful titles next to my name :D, plus it gives a sense of identity with other members.)

simply expand the borders, do we do an immediate reset or put it off for a month or so and simply bite the bullet?
This is sorta the reason why personally my activity has dropped since the Primordia days. The resets are a deterrent for me spending time at building something worthwhile. I already saw New Arcem go away, and I'm not sure I'd like to see another unfinished project become lost. I'd like to see a bit more stability, even though minecraft updates make this impossible, but I hope this can be a goal once we find a system that works for the long term.

In advance, I'm sorry if something I've said seems incomplete. I'm terrible at stringing my thoughts coherently :p

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
My quick research on emeralds has revealed that they are completely superfluous to us, I believe. They would only be found in a specific pair of biomes, meaning they'd be easy targets for unscrupulous people who won't share. And that isn't even an issue. They don't make any blocks or equipment, though I suppose one could use silktouch to get the ore block.

They are literally only used as a currency for trading with villagers, and the good news is that villagers will trade you emeralds for random crap. We don't even have villagers, because some jerks kill them. If we did, we could trade in 10 stacks of rotten flesh for a bunch of emeralds. And then... feel special? They'd only be useful for trading back to the villager, who may be dead the next time you catch up with him.

Unless I'm missing some huge amount of information, emeralds will be entirely unnecessary to us. And if someone really wants those ore blocks, well I'm sure an admin could spawn some blocks and trade them for diamonds, or something. Life isn't so difficult that we need to reset the server over (non-chaos) emeralds.

As for general feedback, I'm thinking about it, and will edit it in later. I'm fairly happy so far though, so don't expect a huge list of complaints to join this post. ;)

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
If we did, we could trade in 10 stacks of rotten flesh for a bunch of emeralds. And then... feel special? They'd only be useful for trading back to the villager, who may be dead the next time you catch up with him.

Unless I'm missing some huge amount of information, emeralds will be entirely unnecessary to us.
Well, Jeb had announced that the current trading system is very cheap, so I do believe that will be getting tweaked a bit.

And as you said, you can get emeralds from giving the villagers what they want, depending if it's emeralds or something else.

I'd personally like the emeralds, although I don't see it being all too useful, other than the fact we could use it for currency ourselves.

But, as far as feedback can go, I agree that /lag would be nice to get back. :p

I'm not too keen on having personal skills, unless everything can balance with one-another without overpowering the other.

And if we will be resetting the map, I would prefer to have it done sooner than later, as SMP would get less active, as DK has said, because you'll expect everything to disappear by the time the reset occurs. (Plus, if MineCraft updates before Summer Break begins, then it'd be nice to start fresh, if need be.)

Also, any chance we could somehow get a mushroom biome on a new map? I'd like some of that mycelium and some mooshrooms. :p

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, Jeb had announced that the current trading system is very cheap, so I do believe that will be getting tweaked a bit.

And as you said, you can get emeralds from giving the villagers what they want, depending if it's emeralds or something else.

I'd personally like the emeralds, although I don't see it being all too useful, other than the fact we could use it for currency ourselves.

But, as far as feedback can go, I agree that /lag would be nice to get back. :p

I'm not too keen on having personal skills, unless everything can balance with one-another without overpowering the other.

And if we will be resetting the map, I would prefer to have it done sooner than later, as SMP would get less active, as DK has said, because you'll expect everything to disappear by the time the reset occurs. (Plus, if MineCraft updates before Summer Break begins, then it'd be nice to start fresh, if need be.)

Also, any chance we could somehow get a mushroom biome on a new map? I'd like some of that mycelium and some mooshrooms. :p

Sorry, when does american summer break start for most?

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
cheatyface I have a village of my own blocked and protected. I'll plan to change it soon to put each villager in its own shop. Ill privatize it, so only trusted people can get in (one could apply to get in).

Also, Malcovent , there's one tactic another server I know uses to not reset map much, or expand, but still get features. They run another world alongside the main one, to be used only for resources. Players would go to that world to get resources and new update stuff, but wouldn't build there. The resource map is reset regularly as well. This also helps deter draining the main map of resources.

The main problem of this is lag. I'm thinking that this alternate world should be plug-inless though, except for getting back to main world.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
cheatyface I have a village of my own blocked and protected. I'll plan to change it soon to put each villager in its own shop. Ill privatize it, so only trusted people can get in (one could apply to get in).

Also, Malcovent , there's one tactic another server I know uses to not reset map much, or expand, but still get features. They run another world alongside the main one, to be used only for resources. Players would go to that world to get resources and new update stuff, but wouldn't build there. The resource map is reset regularly as well. This also helps deter draining the main map of resources.

The main problem of this is lag. I'm thinking that this alternate world should be plug-inless though, except for getting back to main world.
Sounds like a very godd idea. Never heard of it though but could be interesting as this would not get my constructions reset AGAIN if we are going to reset map each time a minecraft update comes it would be a bit annoying. The emeralds, we dont need the ores, just trade em from villagers, if some people really MUST have emerald ores, its not worth to reset the entire map and make aall people loose all that they have created.

The town defiant blob says he is going to make sounds interesting, but is it a way to put villagers in god mode or make em impossible to kill another way? That would be really good as this will make villagerss not empty.
It would be cool if U can sell rotten flesh flesh to a villager and buy XP-bottles from another :D

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
A new future that could be cool is a greef week. It would be taken a backup of the server and put that into maybe old primodia ip. At this server its alllowed to grief and it total war, TNT and creepers make terrain damage and U can raid every1 as much as U wont. This should be ca a week, and appear ca oce pr month.

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
A new future that could be cool is a greef week. It would be taken a backup of the server and put that into maybe old primodia ip. At this server its alllowed to grief and it total war, TNT and creepers make terrain damage and U can raid every1 as much as U wont. This should be ca a week, and appear ca oce pr month.
Where do you get those drugs? :confused:

Fatalis

Reaction score
No.

wateronflamz

Reaction score
Personally I feel that a map restart now would make a massive dent in my playtime for, I’ve sunk maybe a good 48 hours or more into building my ship and it’s not even done yet.

For that time to be wasted would be detrimental to my playtime, because I would feel that whatever I did would just be gone in another month or two.

what do you think we should do concerning the fact a new ore has come out - the map seems too big to simply expand the borders, do we do an immediate reset or put it off for a month or so and simply bite the bullet? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this !
Now seeing as the new ore block can’t really be used for much of anything (other then trading) I think we could stand to not have them on the server. But as Major_Bryan stated we could just world edit them in random places.

Now if a map restart does happen, I would love it if the server would stay on the same map for a good 5-8 months, but with minecraft always updating that would be extremely difficult.
EDIT:
I looked at the new world gen and it does look quite epic. One plus side to a restart is getting a world like that.

• Agree
Reactions: IQD

Reactor

Reaction score
I think there isn't enough motive for people to PvP (at least for me). What if every time you kill a player u get rewarded with some non renewable resources (like iron, redstone, diamond, etc). Killing the same person over and over again or in small intervals whould award you with less resources while killing high level people or people with a killing spree whould award you with more.
This will not only help to motivate people to PvP more but will also give a small boost to the non renewable resources. (actually they wont be renewable after this but with a really slow rate)
If this idea appeal to you then I could help with the balance.

• Disagree
Reactions: Duffie

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I think there isn't enough motive for people to PvP (at least for me). What if every time you kill a player u get rewarded with some non renewable resources (like iron, redstone, diamond, etc). Killing the same person over and over again or in small intervals whould award you with less resources while killing high level people or people with a killing spree whould award you with more.
This will not only help to motivate people to PvP more but will also give a small boost to the non renewable resources. (actually they wont be renewable after this but with a really slow rate)
To be honest, I'm fine with the way it is. If people don't want to PvP, so be it. They'll just have to be wary of the ones who occasionally do.

I think people who PvP are fine, though. And, as I said for people who don't want to PvP, they can PvP if they wish to do so.

If we're still trying to stay near vanilla, I guess it could be fine the way it is.

If we're moving from it, I'll start thinking of some stuffs.

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
So people understand what the villagers are selling and trading so you don't think trading is cheap Link: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Trading
Villagers are the greediest people in minecraft with prices like these >.>

We don't have to add the ore itself but we could allow people to trade with villagers and attain emeralds. I mean emeralds are also very rare. (Link:http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Emerald_Ore)
They only spawn in extreme hills biomes and are twice as rare as diamonds. We don't need a whole new map for just emeralds since they are still attainable through trading with villagers. Updating to 1.3 and leaving out the new map will give us all the goodies that come with the update and minus the emerald ore and minor terrain changes which should be a good deal for everyone.

boredchicka

Texan
Reaction score
I read through everything just now. I really like what has been said. It seems mostly people don't want a reset because it's not worth it.

Malcovent If we really want these new ores (which doesn't seem to be the case) can we just take down the map for a bit and like Major_Bryan said, just replace some stone with these ores? I'm willing to do it manually if needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Danni122112

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Like the iron/diamond stuff they're carrying? And then killing them again shortly afterward naturally gives you less stuff. Who fills their inventory after a nearby enemy kills them? And catching the rare players who are transporting goods between locations... I don't think you've contemplated the incentives to kill people enough. And we don't need to encourage people to do it, either. If you want to fight a lot, build near spawn (outside the pvp free zone, obviously). People will find you, and find reasons to kill you.

• Disagree
Reactions: Reactor

Inon

Roses are red, violets are blue
Donor
Reaction score
I'd prefer if we didn't keep resting the map personally, but that's probably because I like to lumber myself with large projects. Obviously if most people want the new terrain and ore I'd be all for it, though I think it'd be better to reset the map when there are more significant features, Minecraft will update many times before it's completely finished(if ever). The terrain generator is bound to change over and over, and more and more items and ores will be added, so I'd rather enjoy map security for a while then implement changes when things get major.

• Agree
Reactions: Danni122112

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, I've thought about it for a bit now. Essentially, I have no complaints whatsoever about the current smp.

I do have some concerns about the future, which blob touched on. There aren't very many resources to be concerned about, but glowstone seems to be one. It gets farmed pretty heavily. Having a separate farm world that we can reset when it's a giant pit, without resetting the build world, would be nice. But I also think we should encourage people to build new projects and not sit on their accomplishments. Wiping the map is incentive for a lot of people to stop playing before it happens, then play lots when it's new.

I think a lot of people would have fun if we ran the nether as a separate world. Once a month, you could paste over the nether using world edit, so no extra plugins to run. We'd be able to build our own portals to the separate world this way as well. And it would be a much smaller space, so people could go in to farm materials, but also to pvp. It'd be encouraging pvp in a way, with the smaller distances, but it's also optional so you don't have to deal with it. This also puts abundant resources at closer reach, but at the risk of wild jammies and whatnot. The only concern would be getting schematics to paste in which contain the nether materials as well as the overworld materials, so that we don't lose our supply of nether stuff.

In any case, this isn't something to worry about now anyway, just an idea. I'd still rather not see a reset for the coming patch, unless I've missed some terrific piece of information about the new stuff. Spawning some villagers would be nice, in fact you could make a village on spawn island or something if you were so inclined. But it isn't necessary as far as I can tell, and blob has apparently saved us a village this time around. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.