/FAQ command!

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Hello there Zombie Survivor players!
I have an Idea that should clear up a lot of things for new players! The "F.A.Q" command!
It'd sort of work like this:
Code:
Player writes in /FAQ into the chat prompt.
A list of question and answers shows up, not to long,
so it won't waste space.
And the questions could be something to the extent of "How do I know if i'm a zombie/human?: Use /me command." "What do you do as a zombie?: Chase and run into humans(white names)" "Is there money in the server?: No." I know it seems simplistic, but with how many people asking these questing, it'd help ops a lot to just say "Use the /FAQ command". Thanks, -Pikmon2

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
This would be cool - another way to extend it would be like this;

/FAQ
(this shows the top 10 most asked questions)
etc...

Then, to go into detail about said question, the player could type /FAQ 1, giving them a more in-depth description.
Anyways, good idea! ;)

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
Well the /FAQ would be just doing what OPs should be doing, helping and answering questions. All you have to do is ask, and an op or an experinced player will happly answer the question. I personally don't see a need for this cmd. However it is a good idea.

Mach9824

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Major_Bryan but it wouldn't hurt for the people who are too shy to talk to people. And it would be a useful tool for anyone. Good idea!

L

Later_Gator

Adding a /FAQ command, ironically, would be adding a command that new players would have to learn so they can learn about other things. I can see different ways of telling players to use this command, but I assume it'll primarily be told to players, who ask a question that is within /FAQ, instead of just annoucing, "You can type /FAQ and possibly find answers to your question," periodically. I'm afraid they'll ask a question, but only be told to use the /FAQ command.

Scenario 1 with /FAQ:
Player 1: how do i infect humans?
Player 2: Use the /FAQ command.
Player 3 nommed Player 4 2x Kill!
*** Player 3 is on a RAMPAGE!
-Player 5- is AFK Not moved for 3 minutes
Humans Left: 7
Top 5 FAQs:
1. Q: Am I a zombie?
A:...
2. Q: Can I be ranked?
3. Q: How do I infect humans?
4. Q: How many humans are left?
5. Q: How much time is left?
About 10 seconds or so later in Scenario 1 with /FAQ:
5. Q: How much time is left?
Player 6 caught Player 7
Player 8: omg noob
Player 9: askdfjasdf
-Player 5- is no longer AFK
Humans Left: 6
Player 10: hi guys
Player 6: hi
- Player 8 Kicked: Lag-Pillaring like a champ!.
Player 7: hello
Player 3: Haha 6 kills!
- Player 10 disconnected.
Player 2: anyone else need help?
Player 5 mutated Player 11
Player 11: wat!!!!
Scenario 2 without /FAQ:
Player 1: how do i infect humans?
Player 2: You run into humans.
Player 3 nommed Player 4 2x Kill!
*** Player 3 is on a RAMPAGE!
-Player 5- is AFK Not moved for 3 minutes
Humans Left: 7
Player 1: thanks!
Player 6 caught Player 7
Player 8: omg noob
Player 9: askdfjasdf
-Player 5- is no longer AFK
Humans Left: 6
Player 10: hi guys
Player 6: hi
- Player 8 Kicked: Lag-Pillaring like a champ!.
Player 7: hello
Player 3: Haha 6 kills!
- Player 10 disconnected.
Player 2: anyone else need help?
Player 5 mutated Player 11
Player 11: wat!!!!
The problem with Scenario 1 is that they'll be told to use the /FAQ command, when really, they could have easily been told the answer like in Scenario 2. Also, they might have a problem finding their question and answer to that question (depending on the amount of FAQs) after they use /FAQ, since there is a chance that it could be swallowed in the chat quickly.

I really like the intention of this suggestion, but I don't think it's very necessary. Personally, I don't mind answering questions.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
ORGANISING MY THOUGHTS BLUH.

Pros
- Less people fighting over answering a question
- The FAQ would help the explaination stand out more to new players
- More information could be submitted to a player rather than just a generalization
Cons
- One of the very purposes of our staff is to assist in people
- @Later Gator 's "no one will answer questions"
- FAQ would actually just clutter up the new player's screen and they would not have sufficent time to actually read everything
- More or so with FAQ we'd waste time explaining to new players how to use FAQ rather than just answering questions

Personal Outlook - Trap Wolf aka RAMBLERAMLBERAMBLE
I've been meaning to address this threadwise, but it was never a serious issue yet, is the amount of [Trusted] and WBTs ((Wanna be Trusted)) circulating through the server at nearly all timezones. Nearly all the time when one question is asked that person recieves five answers in a row. *MORE INDEPTH With the FAQ system, this has been state please mind me restating it, is that new players would be able to use /FAQ and find their question then supposedly type /FAQ # to find a more better definition of their question.

Lemme say right now I'd more or so inclined to having no /FAQ no matter what outlook you feel from reading my post.

Anytime a person answers a question sufficiently and correctly they're seen as a a reliable and approachable person. Staff is made together with these willing people who are perfectly fine with being depending upon by new players. If it weren't for these people we wouldn't have a friendly staff. Making the /FAQ could possibly sever the connection made with the community. Answering questions gives a chance for social congression. Now I'm not going to say that I'm completely firm in what I say. /FAQ would have it's uses as a backup. Or a direct for players to know that if they have any other questions in the future.

"There is a /FAQ cmd you can use for any other generalized question. But if you have any specific questions we're here to answer them. C:"

Conclusion
It's a wonderful idea really, but I'd stand on the other side of the majority who are for it. Reason of my posting is that I feel this is a very relevant suggestion to the server and any imput from anyone is welcome. Show your support or negation. C:
it seems like its one of those things thats not really NEEDED, but its still fun to have.

I don't mean to bring this debate up and leading the thread to an off-topic battle so I'm going to say that if you wish to address this spoiler, make relevance to the thread then reply to me in a spoiler. :b

HERE'S OFF-HAND HOW FAQ WOULD BE F'KING AMAZING.

Resay: One person asks one question and gets five replies.

So far what the server has turned into, in my view, is a bing haul of WbTs. I'm honestly almost receeding away because it's always happening now and not just once. And sometimes it feels like just so everyone knows they're answering questions they'll enter the correct reply about five seconds after someone has already answered the question. To me I'm feeling the title of [Trusted] is becoming glorified and people are doing it for the wrong reasons or they don't have the right mindset of the server. Intention yes. Demeanor no.

Quirky example: "Have fun everyone and remember the /rules!"

I swear to god I punt a baby in my head everytime I read that every. Single. New. Round.

Being [Trusted] isn't just replying to questions. :l
^ tl;dr sum up of my rant?

Why is this spoiler nearly relevant? It's why /FAQ might would be excellent in haulting all this mania over [Trusted]. -gustme-

Lily97

That American Idiot
Reaction score
It is a good idea, but I do not think it is necessary. As mentioned, we have enough experienced players who know the rules plus all of the staff that can answer the question. It is nice seeing people help each other out when there is confusion. ;) Also, most important questions can be answered by simply reading the rules, if no staff member or experienced player is on. Any other question (which can also most likely be answered using /help) is probably fine being put off until someone who knows the answer comes online

As for the massive amount of spam the player would receive, the command /FAQ could just show the player a simple url that they can go to which will be a thread with a longer, detailed list of the FAQs.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
There is already a lovely thread made by _aperson155_ that thoroughly explains the server.

http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/zombie-survival-guide.3568/
But you got to remember, no everyone uses the forums. And also, it wouldn't be a long list, just of about 5 questions, not to clutter the screen. And saying "Use /FAQ" would work better then everyone spamming basically saying the same thing. And no ever says "just run into them", because about ten different people will say things differing from "You run into them", and "You run through them", then everyone gets confused while they die telling him so. And I agree with whomever said that its an OPs duty to help people, the FAQ wouldn't be used for everything.

L

Later_Gator

But you got to remember, (1) no everyone uses the forums. And also, (2) it wouldn't be a long list, just of about 5 questions, not to clutter the screen. And saying (3) "Use /FAQ" would work better then everyone spamming basically saying the same thing. And no ever says (4) "just run into them", because about ten different people will say things differing from "You run into them", and "You run through them", then everyone gets confused while they die telling him so. And I agree with whomever said that its an OPs duty to help people, the FAQ wouldn't be used for everything.
1. Yes, I've very aware that not everyone uses the forums. I was stating that there is already a source.

2. That was the amount of questions I used in Scenario 1 in my previous post, and it still cluttered the chat for the "new player" a bit.

3. No, because more than one person would say, "Use /FAQ," as well.

4. No, again, because saying "just run into them" or "You run into them" or "You run through them" are not different things. They are saying the same thing through different wording. And what do you mean by "everyone gets confused while they die telling him so"? Do you mean the people answering the new player's question will get confused and die, because that makes no sense at all? I think you mean the new player would be confused and die? I disagree. As I said before, they're all saying the same thing in different wording.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
1. Yes, I've very aware that not everyone uses the forums. I was stating that there is already a source.

2. That was the amount of questions I used in Scenario 1 in my previous post, and it still cluttered the chat for the "new player" a bit.

3. No, because more than one person would say, "Use /FAQ," as well.

4. No, again, because saying "just run into them" or "You run into them" or "You run through them" are not different things. They are saying the same thing through different wording. And what do you mean by "everyone gets confused while they die telling him so"? Do you mean the people answering the new player's question will get confused and die, because that makes no sense at all? I think you mean the new player would be confused and die? I disagree. As I said before, they're all saying the same thing in different wording.
1. Okay.

2. It doesn't have to be in the "new player" bit. No even reads that anyways, I mean look at all the people that never do /rules.

3. You could say that, and its true. But saying ./FAQ is much quicker, so you can get back to running away more quickly.

4. I never said they were different! But whenever it seems to happen there's more deaths, and the main person just sort os says "Okay", and asks again later. Well, at least from my experience.

CaramelCow

Reaction score
I think the idea is awesome but. Like many others. Answering questions is staffs duty. However if none were on a player could ask them to reffer to it. Anyway, nice suggestion!