Expanded Tutorial/Tutorial Round

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly as it is in the title. I think it would be better not only for the current playerbase but the new playbase as well. I think the tutorial should have a similar portal to the main lobby which allows the guest rank to join into a tutorial round. (Which I would be more than willing to make the map for ;) ) Once inside, the round would last upmost of 10 minutes, not a normal round time, but enough to learn what to do. This will help the new players to learn the game at the same time "forcing them" to pay attention to what they do instead of having them just running through the tutorial not reading, or looking at anything in there. I believe this would significantly reduce the amount of floods, griefings and other rule breaking new players are unaware they are breaking. This would be easier for the staff, and make the playbase happier. There would also no longer have to be, "Make sure you read /rules" or "have you read /rules yet? if not please do so now". The rules will be given to the players and the "basics" of the gameplay.

New players would join the round, be lead by command blocks' text or plugin texts instructing them what to do. The rules and other things will be given to the players. the map would be in two parts, being lead through, like the tutorial, and finally lead into the "main" part of the map. (this will all be in the map area of 100x100). In case of multiple new players joining at once, you can have it flood once, or twice. Enough so the player can see the map, while still being able to do something and not sitting around in the spawn. This will help OP+ showing new players around. instead of leading them through the tutorial saying "got it?" we can actually show them what to do, without putting others at risk of a "rage quit" or a flamming war of "he flooded me!" "they griefed!" etc.

The second part to this suggestion: re-add the command block/plugin texts when a person enters each room of the tutorial. Even if they do not read it, there is a better chance of them to see it if its front of them rather than hoping they bought the book, and actually read through it.

brownlee123

Reaction score
I fully support this and think it would be a great idea! I've seen TONS of new players leave like 10 seconds out of the tutorial and it makes me sad...

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I think that the command block/plugin text is a must, I have seen players just ignore the book and keep on running past. This was worse before they added the sign telling you how to buy the book (Took me acouple of weeks of asking ingame before it was added.)

Anyway, I also like the idea of a practice round, that would let the player learn how to play RoF by doing than by just hearing.

Refrigerated_Elements

Dear Apparition
Admin
Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Yes please. I feel like this will greatly help out staff and also the player base as well. I feel like this will greatly cut down the number of floods and questions that have to get dealt with by the staff and other players.

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
I've not made up my mind on the initial aspect of the suggestion. However, I do think that the current tutorial method should be changed. New players won't read a book; they're cumbersome and annoying to read.

I believe we should either go back to the old system of pressure plates, or place signs explaining the game. If desired, we could even implement two of these methods for added coverage.

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I believe we should either go back to the old system of pressure plates, or place signs explaining the game. If desired, we could even implement two of these methods for added coverage.
I like the idea of pressure plates and signs. Maybe have the plates give the basic information and have the signs give advanced information, hints, and tips from the pros.

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the idea, I spent up to five minutes trying to get someone who was asking 'how do I play' to realise they had to press the sign to rank up and finish the tutorial. Not only that but many griefers and flooders aren't even aware there is a /rules and as has been said, if something like this were to be implemented the amount of rulebreakers would surely go down.