End of Bukkit?

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
THE SITUATION
The upsetting this is that he never told his people in his lead team that they were owned by mojang. Its like evilseph just wanted to ignore this and use it as a damn excuse.

I'm sure what he did as a 'community' decision was start a thread or skype whatever to his people and go 'So are we going to fight the eula and beg mojang to continue or do you guys want to quit?' then whispered to himself in his head -oh btw mojang owns bukkit so we can continue no probs lol-

Me as a person I wouldnt want to fight a company and I would back off and resign, but he didnt tell his people any of this leaving out pertinent details.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Duffie

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
Anything new on the front GmK ?

I noticed, that bukkit devs got fully "replaced" on their website.
Also Microsoft bought Mojang, so I guess, that bukkit is pretty much... owned.
For now bukkit is going to be updated for 1.8
From my understanding, it's the opposite. No-one can do anything with bukkit until the DMCA falls through.

Mojang have already made it clear they don't think the DMCA claim is valid, if they will challenge it legally is another thing entirely (it won't magically go away). They're a bit too busy getting taken over and sorting that stuff out, I guess.

Besides, it's not really in Mojang's interests to challenge the DMCA - Bukkit is a community project. Mojang own the name only (in my own simple understanding) and they're already working towards their own fully-featured API which will come along and save teh day.

I wouldn't bet on there being any 1.8 bukkit, but would love to be proven wrong. Perhaps Dinnerbone is right this moment rewriting all Wolverness' contributed code... Or the real Minecraft API may be nearly ready.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Notme

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
From my understanding, it's the opposite. No-one can do anything with bukkit until the DMCA falls through.

Mojang have already made it clear they don't think the DMCA claim is valid, if they will challenge it legally is another thing entirely (it won't magically go away). They're a bit too busy getting taken over and sorting that stuff out, I guess.

Besides, it's not really in Mojang's interests to challenge the DMCA - Bukkit is a community project. Mojang own the name only (in my own simple understanding) and they're already working towards their own fully-featured API which will come along and save teh day.

I wouldn't bet on there being any 1.8 bukkit, but would love to be proven wrong. Perhaps Dinnerbone is right this moment rewriting all Wolverness' contributed code... Or the real Minecraft API may be nearly ready.
What is this DMCA actually? Is this new EULA, right?

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Alright so let's calm down for a moment. So what is bukkit somehow is discontinued? It'll take. What, a month or two before some other independent developer comes running in with their own API wich might or might not be even better than bukkit? Of course all major plugins need to be updated. But I'm sure we don't need to count on stuff like never getting an API again...

• Agree
Reactions: Naoh and LISTINGS09

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
What is this DMCA actually? Is this new EULA, right?
DMCA = Digital Millennium Copyright Act

The problems for us began when one of bukkits own devs filed the DMCA claim, locking down the code.
Not that there were problems before, but both bukkit and Mojang (could have) continued like it wasn't an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Notme

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Hmm I heard, that Sponge is getting slowly crafted. Will be this transition more graceful than hMod-->Bukkit one?

I heard, that Sponge will be integrated with Forge too.
BTW Spoutcraft seems to be dead. Afforens isn't in team anymore since idk when.