End of Bukkit?

Reaction score
Disclaimer before reading this thread:
Whilst I know that this news as of now seems radical with many open questions, I would like to remind everyone that we haven't got the faintest yet what will happen in the next days / weeks.

Until then it won't do us any good to speculate.

We as Admin/Server Director team have an ongoing discussion amongst us to look at all options and react accordingly, depending on what comes up in the next weeks.
Original Info Source:
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit-its-time-to-say-goodbye.305106/
(What sparked this thread... and all the controversy going on)

How does this affect us?
Basically, pretty much every slightly customised server (that doesn't require you to have a minecraft client modification) runs on Bukkit, or some software that is based upon Bukkit. This means, that if Bukkit is discontinued, ALL plugins will not work, and we will just have basic vanilla functionality after 1.8

What does this mean for Blocktopia?
As said in the disclaimer, it means nothing yet... the situation is very volatile and anything could happen.

Updates:
There's a lot of confusion at the moment between Mojang and Bukkit employees.
Some updates here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/2e5u6a/bukkit_says_goodbye_to_modding/

Last edited:

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Well, prepare for the impact.

What about Spoutcraft/Modding API? Well idk about server devving so this may be completely off suggestion.
Edit: Looked at Spoutcraft, and they aren't even 1.7 >.>

Also transition to 1.8 may be painful. Nice way to doom tens of thousands home-made (By that I mean inexperienced admins) bukkit servers - well they would be stuck in 1.7 for a while.

Tagging GmK and Malcovent so they would know.

Last edited:

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe Mojang will swoop in and tell the Bukkit team that they're fine and should continue doing what they've been doing? Also, would the end of Bukkit mean that servers running it won't be able to move to 1.8 without losing a lot of plugins and all that mess?

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Whilst I know that this news as of now seems radical with many open questions, I would like to remind everyone that we haven't got the faintest yet what will happen in the next days / weeks.

Until then it won't do us any good to speculate.

We as Admin/Server Director team have an ongoing discussion amongst us to look at all options and react accordingly, depending on what comes up in the next weeks.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Mojang have pretty much just saved Bukkit. https://twitter.com/Kappische/lists/mojang

Mojang own Bukkit, and have stated it isn't EvilSeph's to discontinue. Dinnerbone says he'll see it through to 1.8.

"To make this clear: Mojang owns Bukkit. I'm personally going to update Bukkit to 1.8 myself. Bukkit IS NOT and WILL NOT BE the official API."

EPIC COMEBACK(ISH)!

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Mojang have pretty much just saved Bukkit. https://twitter.com/Kappische/lists/mojang

Mojang own Bukkit, and have stated it isn't EvilSeph's to discontinue. Dinnerbone says he'll see it through to 1.8.

"To make this clear: Mojang owns Bukkit. I'm personally going to update Bukkit to 1.8 myself. Bukkit IS NOT and WILL NOT BE the official API."

EPIC COMEBACK(ISH)!
So it seems, that EvilSeph was high and decided to quit from what I read.

Edit: I'm confused too :p

Last edited:
  • Confusing
Reactions: Duffie
Y

YouWould

In my attempt to make this easier to understand, I've confused myself. Can someone please explain? This thread is confusing me. Also, it appears no delay has been added to the 1.8 release, in fact I think it's coming sooner than we thought.

"We are going to have the pre-release tomorrow morning instead of this afternoon. Otherwise the probability of a pre2 would be too high." -Searge, Today.

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
In my attempt to make this easier to understand, I've confused myself. Can someone please explain? This thread is confusing me. Also, it appears no delay has been added to the 1.8 release, in fact I think it's coming sooner than we thought.

"We are going to have the pre-release tomorrow morning instead of this afternoon. Otherwise the probability of a pre2 would be too high." -Searge, Today.
From my understanding there was someone from Bukkit that seemed to be under the impression that Bukkit was going to be discontinued at some point during/after 1.8. The Mojang team saw the post that Bukkit made on their website and were totally confused and quickly put down any ideas that the Bukkit team had about discontinuing. They reminded the community that Mojang acquired Bukkit some time ago when it hired on a large portion of it's team. Mojang owns Bukkit and has no interest in discontinuing it. To put everyone's minds at ease, Dinnerbone and others have publicly committed to working on updating Bukkit to 1.8 themselves to ensure that all goes smoothly.

gettinthere

Reaction score
THE SITUATION

EvilSeph/Warren (lead Bukkit developer) decided to discontinue Bukkit. His reasoning is that Bukkit infringes on the EULA by redistributing a part of Minecraft as theirs and their intellectual property (the Bukkit team). EvilSeph/Warren wanted to avoid the breaking the EULA and the ensuing confusion.

Well, 2 years ago, Dinnerbone joined Mojang while working on Bukkit. Dinnerbone made agreements that Mojang buys Bukkit and the codebase under Curse in exchange for being hired by Mojang. When Dinnerbone left, EvilSeph stepped in.

EvilSeph didn't say "oh, lol, I shut down like VoxelBox by my single word as I am project lead". No, he got every Bukkit administrator and volunteer developers to agree shutting down. [Unconfirmed, 3rd paragraph]

WHAT HAPPENS NOW

Jeb_ found out EvilSeph shut down Bukkit and pulled up the receipt from Dinnerbone. The drama here is that everyone believes Bukkit is now magical and that EvilSeph (and his choice alone) was bored shutting down Bukkit. The volunteer developers can consider working on Bukkit, but it is up to them as they are volunteers. Dinnerbone is working on it personally, with the codebase now under ownership of Mojang by Grum. Organization and organization transparency is difficult and may continue from lack of coordination between Mojang employees and the Bukkit team.

A lock on this thread is preferred. Oh, and can we please not have a damned joke as the best answer?

• Sad
Reactions: Duffie