Dungeons and Dragons

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Don't think this thread exists yet. Let's fix that.

Dungeons and Dragons is an RPG in which a player or group of players go through a campaign created and moderated by a Dungeon Master.

There are several rulesets a DM can choose to use in his campaign, or take parts he likes from various sets and mash them together. He can do whatever he wants. He's the DM, after all.

The player can choose to do pretty much anything. Whether or not he succeeds is up to the dice, typically a D20. A player can have as much or as little backstory to their character as they want, but some is generally preferred. For example, if a player wants to be a rogue whose family was murdered and wants to seek revenge, he can! Setting permitting, of course. Or, say it's a more futuristic campaign, a player wants to be a bloodthirsy space pirate, he can! Be as imaginative as you want!

Most DMs prefer creative players. For example. Say two players are in the same situation: Earlier in the campaign they kidnapped some guy. Later, it turns out that that 'some guy' is some big-shot governor. One player might see his plan for the captive fall apart, and try to repair it anyway. Fun! Say that also fails, and so the player executes the captive. Which would be more interesting for everyone: saying "I dispose of the body" or "K, so...I want to sneak on board this other guy's ship, plant the body, contact government officials, and frame him for the kidnap and murder"? Creativity is key!

Character creation is usually very simple and easy, depending on the ruleset/DM's preference. There are also different ways of creating a character, some more based on dice rolling, and others are more "ok everybody shut up, these are your stats now." The latter is simpler, but much less fun. If you need assistance, don't be afraid to ask the DM for help!

Now that that's out of the way, DnD is traditionally a tabletop game, but thanks to Roll20.net players all over the world can meet up to play. The site has a very usable interface, and even inbuilt voice communication and webcam use, or not, if you don't want to use it.

I know there are at least a few people in the community interested in playing, and I was wondering how many there actually are. Who knows, if we have enough people showing interest, maybe we could organize a group or two and play together.

JtTorso

Reaction score
I played D&D in highschool with some friends, it was a lot of fun. We played a couple different things, Pathfinder, D20 Modern, various editions of D&D (I believe 3.5 and 4?). I think we only finished two campaigns, one being in D20 Modern, and the other being a custom campaign in D&D 3.5 that was made by our DM.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I have never played, but I do find it interesting. If there was a place where I can play it in a forum, like you play Mafia, then I'd most likely check it out, meeting with others to play all at once isn't really my thing when it comes to games like these (although that attitude may change in the future).

• Agree
Reactions: Mooglie

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
im pretty hyped for dndnext, wanna try that sometime with my group of friends

for a long time i gm'd a campaign and have really only ever played 3.5e extensively

would recommend dnd

JtTorso

Reaction score
The best way to start playing is by finding someone who already plays. There are several books that are needed in order to player (Monster manual, Players Handbook, and one for DMs) and they're unfortunately rather pricy. You also need your dice and the DM needs a means of mapping (many different types of maps, sometimes people use figurines as well). Not to mention knowing what dice to roll for certain checks, encounters, and spells. There are skills and feats and it's all a learning process.

If you have the means of playing (People to play with, money, etc) I would 100% recommend learning, I have had more fun from some campaigns than I have from AAA titles on the xbox.