Drowning in Problems (by Notch)

Pikmon2

Reaction score
being blunt is fun.

Total crap. This isn't good. What people think these games are good? Let me sit here, click a button, wait, click a button, wait, click a button, wait. Seriously, as a person who makes games, this sicken me. Even I could make these, and I'm not that good at making games.

Still, it's a miracle Notch finished something, even if it's one of the lowest effort games I've seen.

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
ill post here what I posted on crystals page which is where I learned of this and clicked it.

Could be wrong though. My firewall was warning me about this site, and game.notch.net doesn't allow access so its shady to me.
My computer was warning about something running in the background of the site and it was having a massive lag panic attack at the end of the game.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
being blunt is fun.

Total crap. This isn't good. What people think these games are good? Let me sit here, click a button, wait, click a button, wait, click a button, wait. Seriously, as a person who makes games, this sicken me. Even I could make these, and I'm not that good at making games.

Still, it's a miracle Notch finished something, even if it's one of the lowest effort games I've seen.
It's less of a game and more of a story. It's not something you'll derive challenge from.
It's still a game though like many other games that tell stories and make one think.
An aesthetic of the game is to be minimalistic.
Many people could make this game, but the thing is that they didn't. (kind of like art)

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
being blunt is fun.

Honestly, I like games based on the story that the games give. It's why I enjoy Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick so much.

Gameplay isn't always everything in video games. Not about how much effort you put into it, the effort that was put into it, but what you make of it.

I was gonna post this earlier, but things happened, and turns out it saved a draft. But, yeah, basically what Defiant_Blob said. <3

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
being blunt is fun.

This wasn't pointed to be fun, as such, or even really a game. It really a gesture to the futility of life and intended to provoke deep thought.

D

DieLorelei

Ha... I can't believe I waited 5 minutes just to watch it all turn to nothing... Pathetic...

I usually enjoy interactive stories, and I tried to enjoy this one. I can appreciate minimalism as an art style. For me, minimalism inspires an infinite series of complex thoughts and ideas derived from each other through its simplicity - because of how open it is to interpretation, and the infinite possibilities that lie within.

I believe life is what you make of it and although the concept of life might be a worn-out and futile cycle, as long as we are alive, every decision we make impacts the lives of those around us and ultimately the world that keeps that futile cycle from ending. For better or worse, that cycle has a purpose which should not effect the reality of the present.

I couldn't appreciate this story because I think the outcome of the 'game' reflects the lack of thought put into the choices made within the story. The beginning had tons of potential, but I felt as soon as the story led the character to give up on life - it also gave up on me as a reader. After that point, I believe the message the story was trying to convey lost a lot of its power and meaning with how long it dragged on. The story could have been just as effective and powerful (if not more) on paper or through any other kind of media and it would have taken a fraction of the time this method took to convey it.

(you could probably read this post ~20 times in the amount of time it takes to finish the story)

---------
As far as storys and life simulators go, the Persona series is a far better alternative...

• Agree
Reactions: digi

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but I like this. It's relatble - it shows a life where you have all these things going on at once, you have to try and make sure that you can get all these different things done. It's very similar to my life in the way that I have pressures from multiple places to do said amount of things and if I don't, well I'm screwed.

WOAH WOAH WOAH, THE END, WOAH.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FrenchSanta12

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Honestly, I like games based on the story that the games give. It's why I enjoy Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick so much.

Gameplay isn't always everything in video games. Not about how much effort you put into it, the effort that was put into it, but what you make of it.

I was gonna post this earlier, but things happened, and turns out it saved a draft. But, yeah, basically what Defiant_Blob said. <3
"Gameplay isn't everything in games". "Game" "Gameplay". Hmm.

The thing is, Phoenix Wright has gameplay. You use your brain, and solve puzzles etc. In this you just click and think "oh I need this ok" and then click that.

@Defiant_Blob If it's more of a story than a game, it should be a book, like Gone Home and likes. They aren't "games", they just call it one so they can arguably make more money (in Gone Home's case, I mean.) Or they don't know how to put it in to book form and just think "walking in a line or clicking every few seconds with text on white screen is way easier and will get me popular!!!!".

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
"Gameplay isn't everything in games". "Game" "Gameplay". Hmm.

The thing is, Phoenix Wright has gameplay. You use your brain, and solve puzzles etc. In this you just click and think "oh I need this ok" and then click that.
Think about visual novels.

All you're doing is reading text and making decisions, out of possibly 3 at most at one time. And these decisions only lead to alternate story pathways.

They're games, and they don't require much use of your brain, other than to enjoy a nice read.

So, I stand by what I said.

• Agree
Reactions: Alisha

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
being blunt is fun.

Chill out. It's called being "subjective" :p. Also, it's called a text-based game and if you haven't heard of it:

A text game or text-based game is a video game that uses text characters instead of bitmapped or vector graphics. Text-based games were common from 1970 to 1990, but are still used today.
I guess you're too used to the high-graphic present games, but I guess everything just evolves. It is good, but no one can deny that there are waaaaay better games than this which makes it look not-so-good :D

Reactions: Willchill

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
I actually liked it, it spoke to me since I've felt that way before.

But in my opinion life isn't quite like what's presented in the game, failure doesn't come out of everything you do.

So maybe it's actually more of a depression simulator?

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Think about visual novels.

All you're doing is reading text and making decisions, out of possibly 3 at most at one time. And these decisions only lead to alternate story pathways.

They're games, and they don't require much use of your brain, other than to enjoy a nice read.

So, I stand by what I said.
Gone Home, (which I assume you are referring to since I mentioned it) is barely a visual novel. It's more of a walking simulator with a reward of a crappy story at the end that makes no sense. The Walking Dead game is a visual novel and it still has gameplay. Like, as one example, puzzles. It's already one-upped gone Home and this, since there is more input then "walk/click", but makes you really think about what to do.

Chill out. It's called being "subjective" :p. Also, it's called a text-based game and if you haven't heard of it:

I guess you're too used to the high-graphic present games, but I guess everything just evolves. It is good, but no one can deny that there are waaaaay better games than this which makes it look not-so-good :D
I love text based games. I think when done well they have a really nice old feel to them that a lot of "Retro" games lack now-a-days. I should mention, a game being bad is not subjective. Heck, I enjoyed some of Sonic '06, and I would say, even with enjoying bits of it, it's still a bad game. I love Pikmin 2 and think it's the best game ever, but I know there are better games than it in actuality, sort of like a favorite band or song and what-not.

If you people are allowed to say these games "are moving", "deep", and "depressing", then I'm allowed to say it's crap. Even if it emotionally moves you in some way, it doesn't make it a good game. I've had songs effect me that I don't consider very good songs, but I still appreciate what they did for me. It still doesn't make them good songs.

The reason this game ticks me off so much is it just seems to try and cash-in on the big "cookie clicker"/"candy box" thing, but try and be deep and meaningful (""""""Try"""""). Something is wrong when COOKIE CLICKER has more gameplay, and at least doesn't take itself seriously. Making something depressing just to be to depressing really takes out of it. It's made just to tear at your heart because "ohhh it's sooo saaad", not to tell a great story that does it without that being it's sole purpose. I mean really, you can go to Newgrounds to see all that crap for hours on end with all the "deep" flash games they have on there, and they somehow manage to have more effort than this.

Also, I don't care a ton about graphics. I mean look, I'm in a Minecraft community.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
Gone Home, (which I assume you are referring to since I mentioned it) is barely a visual novel. It's more of a walking simulator with a reward of a crappy story at the end that makes no sense. The Walking Dead game is a visual novel and it still has gameplay. Like, as one example, puzzles. It's already one-upped gone Home and this, since there is more input then "walk/click", but makes you really think about what to do.
I wasn't. O. o

And Walking Dead is hardly a visual novel.

... Do you even know what a visual novel is?

One type, for example, are Dating Sims. There are also some visual novels on Steam, too... As well as Dating Sims. xD

Walking Dead is more of an Adventure Game. Point and click and everything.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
I wasn't. O. o

And Walking Dead is hardly a visual novel.

... Do you even know what a visual novel is?

One type, for example, are Dating Sims. There are also some visual novels on Steam, too... As well as Dating Sims. xD

Walking Dead is more of an Adventure Game. Point and click and everything.
To be fair, my brother was the one that told me Walking Dead was. I know it's also an adventure game, though. But even the dating sims have more game play than this, even if they are... well..."strange".

Also, my bad, thought you were.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
The reason this game ticks me off so much is it just seems to try and cash-in on the big "cookie clicker"/"candy box" thing, but try and be deep and meaningful (""""""Try"""""). Something is wrong when COOKIE CLICKER has more gameplay, and at least doesn't take itself seriously. Making something depressing just to be to depressing really takes out of it. It's made just to tear at your heart because "ohhh it's sooo saaad", not to tell a great story that does it without that being it's sole purpose. I mean really, you can go to Newgrounds to see all that crap for hours on end with all the "deep" flash games they have on there, and they somehow manage to have more effort than this.
Well, that's the thing about games like this. Sure, they may not mean much to you, but obviously it means a lot to many others.
Just because it doesn't appeal to you, however, does not mean that it is "crap". That would make every single thing that isn't your cup of tea "crap". Different things appeal to different people, and different things make a game for different people. For people who appreciate this game it's the thought-provoking aspect of it.
It's a story told in the form of a game, a resource gathering game.

And it's not as if Notch is trying to make money from this. He's not trying to "cash-in" on the cookie clicker idea.
It's a free game, with no ads, merchandise, etc. He just made a game, which many people enjoy and find thought-provoking.

EDIT: Here's a nice game that provides little gameplay (except walking around and taking small different choices), but is a fantastic game: One Chance. It's thought-provoking, fun, and depressing!