DoD Vote

How Easy is it for you to install Mods?

• Easy as Pie.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Meh, takes a bit of effort.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • God No, my mod installing skills are Terrible.

Votes: 21 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
So, after chatting with superstein on IRC (the magic of 80's emails, only live) I decided that I wanted to put up this thread to have a vote on whom would be willing to install Forge, even though it's Vanilla. It would be a debated topic, but in the end, remember that this is only a VOTE and nothing is assured, I (or I guess WE if super's in) am/are simply gathering votes for the majority of Blocktopia's active members on who would be willing to install Forge. Yes, I know the questions are popping up in your head already, but try to quell them in whatever way you can. Given the easiness of installing mods in 1.6 (which I assume will be the same in 1.7, it can't have changed that much,) it's way more simple to install everything without a whole lot of difficulty. And having that plus the plugins is actually kind of varied and if done may work out. So, my question above is...

The vote will be open 'til the 16th of December.
I await responses n' votes. (sounds like nom nom food)

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
So, why is this in the Dusk of Discordia section?
I wouldn't want to play a server that makes me install a mod in order to play it. The goal is to be accessible and easily joinable.

You would be surprised the trouble some people go through to play modded servers, Sploorky. And as for this being in the Dusk section, it's relative to Dusk, so it's in the Dusk subforum.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Aww, more people aren't that great at modding Minecraft? Sure, it's a little more complex (and simpler in some cases) in 1.6, but still. :<

I'd be fine in joining a server that requires mods, but I can see why most people wouldn't, I guess. Still, this is the reason why people want that Mod API, with the ease of joining a server with mods, without having to do the manual installations yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: Shmid

Sploorky

Reaction score
So, why is this in the Dusk of Discordia section?
I wouldn't want to play a server that makes me install a mod in order to play it. The goal is to be accessible and easily joinable.

You would be surprised the trouble some people go through to play modded servers, Sploorky. And as for this being in the Dusk section, it's relative to Dusk, so it's in the Dusk subforum.
some people.

ie, not everyone.

If it's not accessible to everyone without having people take steps, it hurts player count ;)

The point was never if people would do it, it's that people aren't going to want to do it unless it completely redefines the game(tekkit/FTB/something like that). And if a newcomer to blocktopia, DoD being their first server they join in the community, is forced to go find, download, install, and use Forge to let them play a server that has not had the chance to be special to them, they will likely not do so and move to a different server!

It's more new players I am thinking towards than established community members.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
You're interested in knowing how many people would be willing to install a mod, so the question you ask is how good are you at it? You aren't going to get an accurate answer if you can't ask an accurate question. I have no problems figuring out how to install mods, but that doesn't mean I want to do it. I only install optifine because my god performance.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Oh yeah, Optifine and Forge...

Getting Forge on Minecraft? Simple: get the launcher. Getting Optifine on Minecraft? I think that has a launcher now, too.

But... Getting Optifine AND Forge on Minecraft? I hope you're good at following written and/or verbal instructions.

In cases like that, I would have picked option 2.

Edgar Harford

Reaction score
Wait... What???

[EDIT] Sorry about the stupid response, but this thread seems almost pointless to me.

The installation of Forge will undoubtedly decrease the player count because...
We're lazy, and we'll admit it without hesitation.
IF this ever does go through... and that's if, you'll have a lot less members than you would in a vanilla server.

This is only going to exclude a majority for the benefit of a few who are able enough to enjoy a modded server.

[EDIT2] This piece of shit mac is hard to mod on anyway and requires a different set of instructions...

tnm

Reaction score
I'm really confused about the point of this thread, forge is a mod that loads and allows other mods to function together. Installing forge itself is practically useless unless you want to play modded minecraft. True, it would allow some extra functionality for the server, but almost everything people want on a server can be done using a plugin. The main reason people install mods on a server is to play together with mods that are on singleplayer.

Just to clarify, a mod is something that alters minecraft code to add anything; be it a block or item. If somebody wants to play on a modded server, they must first download it for themselves.
A plugin, on the other hand, utilizes existing minecraft code to add functionality to a server. This means people do not have to install it to play on the server. This is also why you never see a server adding new blocks and items without having to download something to join.

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I have to agree with sploorky. It's true that blocktopia already has a dedicated player base that may be willing to download a mod to move in but in the eyes of a new player they ask themselves which is faster. "Should I figure out how to download this mod or just type in a new server IP" even if they pick the first new users can be among the more confused and may easily give up I could easily see this cutting down new users by half on a regular server. The majority of new users who did join dod would be people who had already become long standing community members on another of our servers. Because of this they will already have servers they regularly play on and will likely be more interested in one of those than to spend time on DoD.

Seeing as how activity has traditionally been an issue In SMP I really don't think this is a good idea.

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Time for a short update.

When I mean who would be willing to install Forge, said actions are if Dusk ever becomes modded, and I am simply taking your vote on how easy or hard it is for you to install them. If Dusk were to become modded in my eyes, there better be a damn good reason for each mod being installed onto the server. I don't think superstein or JohnOgozalek would be very willing to install mods that take ages to understand and get the feel of gameplay, i.e. Ars Magica (holy crap, I still can't figure out what the hell you do in that mod, xD) nor mods that only change little knick-knacks, like Better Grass and Leaves. What I think would be the acceptable boundary for installation is something that's small, but changes a lot of possibilities.

And admittedly, when I first questioned superstein about the possibility of a modded Dusk, I referenced the Lucky Blocks Mod.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...-drops-items-spawns-mobs-structures-and-more/

Wait, wait, I know what you're thinking. "This is quite OP for a Blocktopia Server..." I understand this, but considering the flipping rare 1 in 250 spawn rate, plus the fact that you don't always get Lucky and rich everytime you break a Lucky Block, I think it would be a mod that's cool and stress-free on Dusk, the only thing that the directors and developers would need to do is cancel certain mob spawning chance rates in the configuration (i.e. Ender Dragon, Wither, etc.)

I hope this clears some things up. Good Day.

-Snap :)