[Declined] Mosshadow95's Operator Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosshadow95

Reaction score
TimeZone: UTC-4 hrs /EDT

How Much Time can I spend staffing:
On Monday and Wednesday I am usually on for at least 1-3 hours from 7pm onwards. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have firefighter training so i will be on for about an hour from 4:30 to 5:30 On Fridays I am almost always available from 7 pm to 11 O clock. On the weekends I play 4 to 6 hours which is usually from 10:00am to 12:00 and during the period from 3:00 Pm to 11:00Pm.

What do you think will be the responsibilities of an operator on this server:
I believe that Operators should prevent griefing by checking on new players to make sure they understand the rules of the server and the objectives of the game. They should moderate disputes that occur between players due to resources or constructions. They should also facilitate improvements to the server by taking note of any major bugs or suggestions that players may give . Finally they uphold the rules and repair damages caused by misunderstandings or intentional destruction by players.

What sets you apart from other applicants?:
I can get along with other players very easily and I get past disputes with other players very quickly. Even when I get very angry with a player in the past I will quickly forgive them once its is over. I have a decent amount of experience on online games as an Clan officer in SOCOM and World of Tanks. I have been playing Minecraft for close to 2 years so I understand most of the game. In game I deal with a relatively large amounts of people in one house so I am used to being able to find out who caused a grief by knowing most of the players inside from past experience.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member?:
My weakness are that I sometimes tend to use caps more than is necessary. In addition I do not know how to use most server commands. My sense of humor may also get me into trouble if I confuse a player with a joke but when acting as an Operator I will be more serious.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with?:
I would remember the names of players involved and possibly attempt to get a screen shot before asking a senior operator or staff member for help in the dispute.

References:
Forseti
Spencer

Forseti

The Presiding One
Donor
Reaction score
EDIT: Sorry, but I'm taking my vote down to a 0 now. My memory did fail me. I'm really sorry about getting your hopes up, but, I've changed my mind and disagree with my initial thoughts. I don't mean that offensively, I just think you should give it more time, and then I'll fully believe that stuff.

I'm glad you applied and gave it a shot, though! I know you'll do well eventually, just wait a bit longer. Again, I'm really sorry about changing my vote, but good luck and keep at it. (in my opinion, wait until expert and possibly master)

Also, regarding your activity -- I didn't care about it at first because of the current, new staff members being pretty active, but.. will the time you spend on the server increase soon? Just wondering, because it seems a tad troubling.

Seeing as I decided to reference you, let's just get the +1 out of the way.

Here's my reasons why: first and foremost, you are dedicated to the server. You're a pretty bright guy, filled with server knowledge after a month and a half, and you seem to know when and where to help as a player; you fit in very well with the other players, too, and make them feel welcome (especially with your homes). Unless my memory isn't serving me well right now, I don't think you make too many bad decisions. Journeyman or not, Operator doesn't seem like a bad step up for you. I'm sure you'd do just fine, you friendly, peaceful guy, you.

About the application:
...when acting as an Operator I will be more serious.
Just make sure you don't get too serious. ;P
How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with?:
I would remember the names of players involved and possibly attempt to get a screen shot before asking a senior operator or staff member for help in the dispute.
Good, just remember that if it's based on the chat then any staff member can just see it from IRC (besides PMs). Also, remember to start from the bottom; if there's a problem, look for and/or ping an operator or me (VetOp) first. If you can't find one, then Ronaldo (controller), followed by (although rarely, unless Ronaldo himself can't help an issue) dirtcake or Ogarci. I can go a bit more in-depth if you want me to, just ask.

(erm, click the bottom spoiler, the top two are useless)

Oh, also, this is probably why people don't really recognize you as much as they could:

Mar 12 19:27:52 <+Avallis>Mosshadow95 left the game.
Mar 18 20:17:16 <+Avallis>Mosshadow95 joined the game.

You weren't on for six days..? I think it's best to have constant activity for somewhere around two to three weeks before you apply. There's another person who wishes to apply, but they told me they're putting it off due to upcoming inactivity, and I agreed with them. So, it's definitely best for you to wait longer to apply.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Right well, sorry but I am going to go with a -1 on this. I just haven't seen the helpfulness from you that I would expect to see from an operator.

Also this saying from you doesn't really make me feel okay.

[17:22] <+Avallis> [Main] Mosshadow95: to be honest
[17:22] <+Avallis> [Main] Mosshadow95: being flooded is much more fun

While you may have had this rethought I just can't shake it off of me. Being flooded isn't really fun and is a breaking of the rules. While you meant no harm with this statement I still didn't really like it 100%.

I am sure you are a great player but I don't believe you are ready for operator yet. Keep working at this and as Forseti said, don't be too serious (It can lead to you being disliked by players)

Spencer75

Reaction score
I've been having a long think about this now. Even though I agreed to reference you, after much thought I'm going to go with a 0.

I've seen you help a lot of players in the time since you joined and you like to lend a helping hand to others when they need it, in terms of giving them needed items and shelter in the large homes you make. But I don't think you're quite ready to staff just yet. I don't think you're active enough on the server and there are times when you're quiet and don't pay much attention to the chat. As Forseti and Dess have already said, try to avoid being too serious when approaching a situation, as it can make things worse. Keep things calm and it can help get things sorted easier.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Also this saying from you doesn't really make me feel okay.

[17:22] <+Avallis> [Main] Mosshadow95: to be honest
[17:22] <+Avallis> [Main] Mosshadow95: being flooded is much more fun

While you may have had this rethought I just can't shake it off of me. Being flooded isn't really fun and is a breaking of the rules. While you meant no harm with this statement I still didn't really like it 100%.
Just saying, but I am pretty sure that he means that he enjoys to be flooded, not flooding others. There's really nothing wrong with it if that's how you prefer to play the game, just as long as the applicant understand that flooding/griefing is a rule on the server and is not tolerated.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Just saying, but I am pretty sure that he means that he enjoys to be flooded, not flooding others. There's really nothing wrong with it if that's how you prefer to play the game, just as long as the applicant understand that flooding/griefing is a rule on the server and is not tolerated.
I know he meant it as that it was just bad wording on my part. It just didn't sit well with me.

W

Wimali

I'm going with a -1. Even though I've never really had any troubles with you, I haven't really seen you help other players either. You aren't to active -at least not when I'm online- and don't really speak in chat to often or really help players. Alright, I saw you build a house for other players earlier today, but they had to pay to live in it. I just feel like you're not ready for operator yet.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Right then. The OPs do not feel that you are ready to hold this position, and I do have to agree. Try to give more effort and dedication for the server for another two weeks, and then perhaps you should be ready to re-apply. Declined for now, but if you listen to our advice then there shouldn't be much of a problem next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.