Death_Star (You are intrigued)

Worstever

Reaction score
As far as i can determine, this might be the first Star Wars themed map. Hopefully it lives up to the greatness of the movies.
Name of map : death_star (formerly sphere)
Creator(s) : worstever with help/suggestions from a whole lotta people
Dimensions : 128x128x128 (However runnable space is limited to inside the death star)
RoundTime : 10-12 minutes. After walking through it, I determined it may require a longer time of gameplay.
Diggable depth of the map : 0
Physics : off
Which server did you build your map on? : Worst Server Ever
Number of secrets : 0
.lvl file : http://www.mediafire.com/?t77hwpodfk1vnp3
Description of map. : This map was sphere, however after the reaction i got, I re-did it and it became death_star. It is still a circular running map, and I've added additional staircases headed up, in order to make the map flow better. Star wars themed inclusions are lightsabers, stormtroopers, the imperial logo (the top running space) and a giant green laser beam starting to blow up a planet above. The sides may seem reachable from the pictures, but it is not legally reachable to get outside. The glass around the laser is op_glass in order to stop people from climbing up it and getting outside the sphere. Well, I've changed it up, hopefully it was an improvement.
Screenshots of map : http://imgur.com/a/1iMWC#7
Not sure if adding a video clip is allowed on map submissions, but if you don't know the death star:

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I already told you my feelings on it after taking a look around myself.
I don't entirely like the map.
I do like the idea, and I think I know where your coming from on it.

I feel somewhat reminiscent of Maxyz's map "Platforms."
The map feels empty and some of the platforms are a bit... Hard to see (although the perspective can differ with actual game-play, so it may be fine then, though we don't know yet.)

There not that many pathway's onto the upper platforms for either the zombies or humans to use and are very far apart from each other. They could also (if with planning) can be blocked off by Infected players, restricting fallen humans from reaching other areas, and could (possibly) have most of the round in the bottom hemisphere which does not sound very appealing to me.
(Those were just theory's can most likely won't happen, just thinking of what could happen)

I know you feel your older map (The staircase running map) was a bit Pro-Zombie, and you wanted to make a more Pro-human map, but neither are very good extremes. Sometimes its best just to make it more balanced. And besides, running maps are supposed to be more about skill then chance / rigged map design. ;)

I think if you add, perhaps a bit more colour, and perhaps extra walkways / ways people don't accidentally bump there heads on the sides of the sphere (which I had some problems with on the upper levels), I think it could be better.

If this was a Lava Voting system, I would give this a Neutral 0, It needs a bit more improvement, but I think it could provide an interesting runner experience, Good Job.

• Informative
Reactions: Worstever

ReyvnNova

"Come buy our orchard fruits, Come buy, come buy~"
Reaction score
I like the idea of the DNA-esq looking stairwell, but I am not a fan of bedrock as a map basis. Adminium is a tad dull and a bit of an eyesore. Agreeing with Jk, I feel that even a little colour goes a long way into making a map whole and unique.

Despite this, it can be hard to tell how a runner/jumper map will work within ZS. For all I know people may love it and they won't care what material they're running on. So as far as game-play goes, I will have to hold my thoughts on the subject.

Anywho, any author that completes a map deserves fine wine and cigars. On the house c:

Worstever

Reaction score
Improvement time: Since most of you, in essence, said it was a cool concept but poor execution I would like to improve the map and then edit/resubmit this post with the new improvements. So I would like some help of course to make this a better quality map. The main question I have is how to add color into this particular map? My thoughts on improving it were:
  • Open up the top to let light in, maybe even make it more bowl shaped instead of sphere shaped?
  • Add more paths to the top, maybe some watervators as well throughout the map.
  • Add designs/hieroglyphics on the floor and walls to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
  • I would like to hear all your thoughts as well, since the goal is to make fun maps, so any additional input would be appreciated greatly.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Improvement time: Since most of you, in essence, said it was a cool concept but poor execution I would like to improve the map and then edit/resubmit this post with the new improvements. So I would like some help of course to make this a better quality map. The main question I have is how to add color into this particular map? My thoughts on improving it were:
  • Open up the top to let light in, maybe even make it more bowl shaped instead of sphere shaped?
  • Add designs/hieroglyphics on the floor and walls to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
  • I would like to hear all your thoughts as well, since the goal is to make fun maps, so any additional input would be appreciated greatly.
Try placing in some door blocks but have physics off

ReyvnNova

"Come buy our orchard fruits, Come buy, come buy~"
Reaction score

I like the bowl shape idea, mostly because I love sky, but that changes the ideal of the map being a sphere so that's really up to you. More paths might save some lives (literary ;3) and perhaps a layer over the adminium would liven it up. Also, hieroglyphics sounds awesome :eek:

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I think the map as improved since it was last debuted on stage.
I was first, worried at the opening of the top section, but those worries vanished mildly after seeing the protective wall, so they don't jump out. Looks like we'll have to be on our toes to catch if they Lag pillar.

As much as the opening of the top of the sphere adds aesthetically, I don't entirely like it. I thought the idea of "sphere" was fairly good, and I was mildly sad that the top was opened to add running space. I also think Humans will crowd the top area, instead of using the multiple branching paths throughout the sphere; but hey, what can you do about it? It is what normally happens on runner maps, as it adds the best advantage point.

I like the interesting pipe-like structures traveling through the center of the sphere; it gives some colour, as well as some additional space to run. It also inspired to make my own map called "pipes"... Huzzah.

The addition of basing some of it off "Star Wars..." I don't really care about that really, but I think using that as a base aloud a good amount of eye-pleasing formations, like the pipe in the center mentioned before.

I think its improved enough for at least a test. +1 if this was Lava.