DarkHender's Operator Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarkHender

IGN: DarkHender

Time-zone: Eastern standard time, GMT-5

How much time will you be able to spend staffing the server each day? For the time being I have been getting anywhere from 6 hours to 14 hours a day, this is school vacation. During a normal day I’d hope to get in around 3-4 maybe more, depending on plans or such.

What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server? I believe that as a staff member you're there for more than just enforces the rules, you're there to help maintain the chat as-well as make it as fun as possible. Being there to aid anyone that needs help, looking out for the players and the server. Being friendly to players and welcoming new ones to make the atmosphere friendly.

What sets you apart from other applicants? Well, I do have experience staffing the classic zombie server. I’ve been a trusted in Jte so I do know some of the /prism commands. I’ve seen the player base and I’ve watched how other operators+ handle things. I’ve been very active and I hardly go afk (as a player). RoF doesn’t have that many operators and their times are a little spread out. I’m usually home when other’s in my time aren’t. (noon -3 are when ops aren’t online usually for me) and I usually stay up pretty late and I’ve seen operators get flustered in problems all at the same time and I’d love to be able to help when it gets crazy like that.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member? As a player/staff member.. Hm, I get angry when people don’t understand a simple point, though I usually don’t show it much in chat, though maybe get a little snappy. I’ve been getting better with controlling my anger whenever I get griefed, though I could sound a little mean when I go “don’t you see me building here” ?
I also tend to say “no” to players about building/living with me and I’ve been called mean because of that. ( I like to live with friends when we hang out on teamspeak and build, having randoms in gets confusing and annoying unless it’s annoyed+)
Also I know how to explain things simply to a player, but I’m not very good at elaborating or explaining using a colorful vocabulary.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with?
I’d do the best I could if no other staff members were online.
Then go talk to a staff member when I had the chance to see how I handled it for any tips or advice.
If someone was online I’d ask them for what they would do and for some advice and approach the situation carefully.

References: Forseti, FrenchSanta12, Dessern5.

Thank you so much for those who referenced me, it means a lot.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Alright first off thank you for taking the time to apply DarkHender!

Okay so, I know that DarkHender is a very responsible and mature player after having worked with her on Zombie Survival for about 7 months. She is fully capable of "measuring up" to the standards we would have here and would be a very valuable asset to our staffing team. Not only is she helpful but what I enjoy most is she likes to joke around with players and make them feel more welcomed.

In the below sections of this post I will address parts of the application in itself which stood out to me.

Hm, I get angry when people don’t understand a simple point, though I usually don’t show it much in chat, though maybe get a little snappy.
First off this part. While it can be frustrating when players do not understand something that you seem to see as easy it can be frustrating, like you mentioned. I commend you for not showing it in chat by the way. My solution for this problem would be to take a look at it in their shoe and "dissect" what you are saying. I want you to try to break it down to the bare essentials of the statement and work from there often asking question such as-(after explaining something) "Did you understand that?" (If they say no) What did you not understand?- dependent on the answer I would encourage you to try to work from that point forward, remember that a lot of players here are not native English speakers. (I know you said you are good at explaining things simply but still)

. I’ve been getting better with controlling my anger whenever I get griefed, though I could sound a little mean when I go “don’t you see me building here” ?
This is the main issue I saw with you while watching you for the past couple weeks(apologies for being a bit blunt/rude with that couldn't think of a way to rephrase it). Often times when you get griefed and or a player is modifying your home you will "yell at them" on ts. While I again applaud you for keeping it out of the chat I want to remind you that TS still reflects who we are. I am glad you are working on it and that you're getting better at it but keep this in mind.

As for sounding mean when saying things like "please stop" or “don’t you see me building here”. I wouldn't worry about this to too much of an extreme. Yes, phrases can come across as harsh sometimes I have run into this problem before. All that it takes is just thinking about what you are trying to say before posting it, or if you think it sounds mean then re-read the statement prior to hitting enter.

I also tend to say “no” to players about building/living with me and I've been called mean because of that. ( I like to live with friends when we hang out on teamspeak and build, having randoms in gets confusing and annoying unless it’s annoyed+)
Don't worry about this one at all. Yes flat out saying "no" can come across as rude but as you are a player you have the right to do that. Whether or not they take offense to you telling them they cannot say is their issue not your's. I would however say this. If you want to work on being more polite when people try to enter your house you can say no but I would urge you to give some reasoning behind it.

Also if players are annoying you don't sit on TS and "rant about it" for lack of better words. Explain in chat why you want them to stop.

Overall a very good player and application. No doubt in my mind a trial will suit her very well. +1

Reactions: FrenchSanta12

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score
Very mature, caring and loving person. You are one of the people I truly trust on Blocktopia. Your application is great in my opinion. And although you said you get angry, to be honest, I've never seen you being angry, you always handle things maturely and with kindness. The only problem is that you're saying you can't "use a colourful vocabulary" but, you did say you know how to simply explain, so that may not be that big of a problem. You're a loving and caring person, and I think you should get a chance, try out on trial and see how things are going. big green +1 from me!

D

DarkHender

Often times when you get griefed and or a player is modifying your home you will "yell at them" on ts. While I again applaud you for keeping it out of the chat I want to remind you that TS still reflects who we are.
I'm aware of this and I'm trying to stop. I need to think a little more and If I want to complain about a player, tell it to an operator plus if they're doing something wrong.
I'm sure I can find other ways to express my anger/frustration that won't come off as snooty or a bad person.

Also if players are annoying you don't sit on TS and "rant about it" for lack of better words. Explain in chat why you want them to stop.
This again, I've been trying to stop for a little while now. It's hard when they keep pestering you though I will try to explain it in chat as to why I want them to stop.
(Don't worry about being blunt or anything. I like tips/knowing things I can work on)

• Agree
Reactions: pigpiglwj
Status
Not open for further replies.