Dark Souls

Reaction score

Trailers:

This one above is probably the best trailer available.^

(They suck at making trailers for their games, sorry)

Review:

DARK SOULS

Now a lot of you here have probably heard of this game, possibly in the context of how extremely hard this game can be. I'm here to talk about Dark Souls, and why you shouldn't be afraid to pick it up and enjoy what is arguably one of the best designed games to come out this last decade.
(And as you can probably tell by the wall of text under this i love this and the second game)

Right of the bat you have to know that this isn't like your other typical hand holding RPG's. This isn't skyrim where you can pause mid battle and drink a couple of potions and eat a few cheese wheels to survive. This game is hard, especially in the start of the game, and you will die. You will die a lot. But dying is part of this game. Don't get me wrong while the learning curve is steep, this game is never unfair, every death is because you fucked up and not because the game is badly designed. And when you master the mechanics of the combat you will die less and less.

Dark Souls takes an arguably somewhat more realistic take on combat compared to other games, you can't go in spam clicking your left mouse button until the enemy or you die. You have to use your shield, you have to roll to avoid enemy attacks and you have to take out enemies slowly with well timed attacks.

And seeing a boss for the first time will leave you thinking ''I have to kill THAT?!'' while promptly being stomped into the ground like an insect, but when you finally manage to kill that boss after 20+ deaths, it will make your victory feel so much greater.

There are threats everywhere in Dark Souls, any any mistake you make will reset your progress, respawning you on checkpoints (or Bonfires as they are called) that are far between each other. And every time you respawn the enemies you fought will come back with you, having you fight your way trough all of them once more.

There is also a Mutliplayer system in Dark Souls, other players can invade your world with the sole purpose of killing you and resetting your progress. This works well in making you afraid, knowing that at anytime you might have to not only fight the normal enemies, but also another player.
But you can also summon friends and kill a hard boss or clear an area with some jolly cooperation. While the multiplayer has somewhat died down its still pretty easy to find other players to play with.

Now where Dark Souls really shines isn't only in its combat or its hard but well designed bosses. Its the world design, atmosphere and the story that truly makes it a great game.

In Dark Souls you are dropped into the land of Lordran a crumbling land long abandoned by the gods with vague hints of fulfilling a prophecy and finding answers to the Undead Curse.

Humanity in Dark Souls has been cursed by the Dark Sign, a curse that leaves Humanity undead, never capable of truly dying, doomed to keep living forever until they eventually turn Hollow. An undead who has lost his motivation and meaning to keep going will turn Hollow. When hollow, humans looses their senses, their memories and everything that once made them human. They are stuck walking around long abandoned castles attacking anything that approaches.

You are put right into this world surrounded by enemies and few friends, without knowing where to go and what to do. This game won't explain itself to you, there is no clear answers to anything straight away. You have to go and explore this dangerous world and find your own answers. Its up to you how much you want to invest into learning the story of this world, but slowly things should begin to clear.

Dark Souls is currently at 19,99€ on Steam, but regularly drops down to 5.99€ or so during sales.
And it just recently got rid of Games For Windows Live (GFWL) DRM with a patch bringing new life to the Mutliplayer aspect, and i would really recommend picking it up now if you have money to spare.

And if you pick up this game i heavily recommend not reading any guides and going in blind, i wish i could replay both this and Dark Souls 2 again for the firs time just to experience it all again. If you are playing this on Steam you will probably need a controller and download a mod called DSFIX to enjoy it in 60fps.
Please tell me if any of you are interested in the game, i would love to help some new players with some Coop and general tips!

And if you do have this game already or the second one please let me know, would love to play or PVP with some of you. And do show of your builds/discuss the game and stuff like that!

Thanks for reading! And sorry for any spelling mistakes.

TLDR; This game is goddamn good and you will regret not playing it.
Git gud casul

Edit: added some better pictures

Last edited:

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
Just a reminder for anyone thinking of buying Dark Souls 2, a "remastered" DX11 version is coming in april. It won't be free and it's not an update. Savegames are not moveable to the new version. It will be an upgraded version of Dark Souls II, with all DLC, all-new content, remastered graphics. A new game, with an Apr 7 2015 launch date. I wouldn't recommend buying it, unless you're able to play it to full between this sale and DSII:SotFS launch, or you just don't want to spend much money. I imagine the remastered edition will be around $60 for a bit, while DSII often drops to $15. Just thought this could be useful for anyone wanting a more complete experience ;)

Reaction score
Just a reminder for anyone thinking of buying Dark Souls 2, a "remastered" DX11 version is coming in april. It won't be free and it's not an update. Savegames are not moveable to the new version. It will be an upgraded version of Dark Souls II, with all DLC, all-new content, remastered graphics. A new game, with an Apr 7 2015 launch date. I wouldn't recommend buying it, unless you're able to play it to full between this sale and DSII:SotFS launch, or you just don't want to spend much money. I imagine the remastered edition will be around $60 for a bit, while DSII often drops to $15. Just thought this could be useful for anyone wanting a more complete experience ;)
Yep! But people that already owns the game will get a fairly big discount according to some new information, but yeah anyone interesting in DS2 should wait until this version comes out!

• Informative
Reactions: Velzerat