Custom & Randomized Drops

W

Wimali

Custom Drops

Introduction
While creating a little thing for Buildbox yesterday, I thought of this. It’s a very simple, yet complicated idea. You’ll see why. I feel like it’s quite similar to my randomized chests suggestion (which is still my favorite, to be honest.) because it doesn’t change that much, just a few details. But it’s the small things that make you enjoy life, right?

What it is
Now, my idea is basically to have blocks drop something they wouldn’t normally drop. I’m pretty sure it’s possible, but not entirely sure whether it’s possible to have the drops be map-specific or to have specific ID’s drop different things (i.e. skull;wood would drop would, while skull;stone would drop stone). Not sure if it’s easy to code either!

What it could be used for
A lot of things, actually.

For example, remember those gold blocks in Arrogant? Those got removed because they were way too overpowered. But what if you’d re-add them, and just have them drop 1 gold nugget when broken? Or those lapis lazuli blocks in some maps, why not have them drop 1 lapis lazuli? Sure, it’s not a lot, but it’s at least something. Same can be done with redstone blocks! And the stone bricks on Mynydd? These are no-drop because there’s just too many of them. But how about making them just drop cobblestone? Yeah, alright, it doesn’t make any sense to have them drop cobble, but that way the player will at least get some blocks when mining stone bricks.

There’s just a whole lot more possibilities! Quite a few no-drop blocks could be turned into something useful this way. Here's another thing this could be used for:

...custom player heads. As you can see here, I’ve used player heads to make it look like there’s apples on the trees, a fallen tree on the ground with logs attached to it, puffer fish in the water and a beach ball on the beach. What if those would actually drop something? The apple would drop an actual apple, puffer fish would drop puffer fish, log would drop log... Again, the possibilities are endless!

Randomized Drops
Another variation of this idea is to have randomized drops. This is also quite similar to the randomized chests suggestion, as it gives you the potential of getting some good loot from something or nothing at all. For example, let’s go back to the gold blocks on Arrogant:

They could have a 70% chance of dropping 1 gold nugget, a 20% chance of dropping 2 gold nuggets, a 7% chance of dropping 3 gold nuggets, and a 3% chance of dropping 5 gold nuggets!

The puffer fish skull I showed earlier? Free puffer fish would be a little overpowered I’d think, especially if there’s that many. But what if there’d only be a 15% chance of it actually dropping?

And just... I could go on and on for hours. You get the idea! I’d love to see what everyone thinks of this.

Rytheria

Reaction score
Fantastic idea in my opinion, it can really bring out different variations of gameplay and enjoyment within the server. Map-makers would have a lot more customization, and, with Christmas coming up we can really, really invent some fun drops. (cookie for every block? :3)

I would elaborate on this thread and ideas, though, as I've said on some posts early today I'm feeling very blank for ideas today. I *will* return to add some ideas in the future.

Nice suggestion,
Bram13

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
This is a very creative idea. If RoF adds it, it could add another level of detail and immersion to maps. And it will add even more options to map makers who are wanting different types of blocks, but are limited to the current MC blocks for drops. I totally love the idea.

(Edited to make the sentences flow better.)

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
Honestly I like this idea! It would be a cool idea to have on RoF, however I think the custom drop heads should be rare, due to the fact they could be abused for golden nuggets, also I think sometimes when you break one, it should drop nothing! :D

W

Wimali

Honestly I like this idea! It would be a cool idea to have on RoF, however I think the custom drop heads should be rare, due to the fact they could be abused for golden nuggets, also I think sometimes when you break one, it should drop nothing! :D

Definitely! This is what I mean with randomized drops, i.e. a golden block would have a 53% chance of dropping nothing, 27% chance of dropping 1 golden nugget, 12% chance of dropping 2 golden nuggets, 7.99% chance of dropping 3 golden nuggets, and 0.01% chance of dropping a golden ingot!

dirtcake

(Former) Rituals of Fire Developer
Reaction score
My only problem with this idea in general is the potential confusion it could cause. ("wtf, the iron block I placed only gave me back a few nuggets?")

• Agree
Reactions: crafter
W

Wimali

My only problem with this idea in general is the potential confusion it could cause. ("wtf, the iron block I placed only gave me back a few nuggets?")
Fair enough, but I feel like that's a really minor problem. Let's say there's a lapis lazuli block on some map for example, and destroying it would only give you one lapis. Why not just make the lapis block no-place, so no one can be like "omg i placed mi block and then i broke mi block and mi block dropped only 1 lapiz wtfffff"? Or what raxo said. And of course the players would be able to explain it, there's a lot more stuff on RoF that might confuse most players but which could be explained by regulars!

Reactions: SirComputer