Current Map Rotation Problems

Do you think the disliked maps should be removed?

• Total voters

jackamel

Op Purple :D
Contributor
Reaction score
Over the past week I have been surveying playerson zombie survial, about the current rotation, and what they think about it. Basically the current rotation of maps has become disliked. NOW I KNOW THIS IS LARGELY BASED UPON OPINION, so please try not taking this into account when reading.
I have been asking mostly 'pro' players and staff, as they know what they are talking about in terms of gameplay and maps.
These players include:
- Ethical1337
- Maxy73
- Ooglie101
- Marnixxie
- Lily97
- Dumbshooter
- Jeant
- Nottycat
- Dessern5
- Dielorelei
- Toudou1620
- Degekken
- hywel45

These players were asked two basic questions, which maps they like? And which they dislike and would see removed?
The results (as average and overall liked and disliked):

To begin the disliked as this was the main problem. Some of the maps in the current rotation, to put it bluntly, havnt been very good. This is meaning no offence to the creaters of the maps, as I know it can take a long time. Its just these maps are no good in rotation:
- Battlecruiser
- The Library
- Airbattle
- Purgatory
- Jaws
- PokemonStadium
- New Venice
- Skygardens
- Derailed
- Uggdrasil
- Shrooms

My suggestion from the feedback recieved, is that these maps are removed from rotation.

The liked maps include:
- nobuild128
- narrows
- vault17
- basictraining
- dontstop
- fortress
- adminiumantics

These maps are recommended to stay, as they are most popular.
Also other maps that arent in current rotation, and should be include:
- runrunrun
- chaos
- grandprix

Ok, this information is true not fixed, or made to a personal taste. The maps listed are an average of everybody who I asked.

Now the main focus and purpose of this is too remove the 'bad maps' listed above. I understand that you may not all agree with this, however it has been quite a problem with the maps not being anything 'special' or 'fun'.

So admins or controls, please take this into account and sort out the rotation. I would be willing to help out with organizing a new rotation. But please dont just dismis this.

Feel free to comment below if you disagree about anthing particular.

Signed; Jackamel

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
So let's break it down then.

Battlecruiser: I'm with you there. The outside terrain is so annoying to try and run on. The cruiser itself, while looking big, has a small interior.
The Library: This map is too small and bland. The rounds just fly by.
Air Battle: Not enough places to go, just a few ships or the ground (which equals insta-death).
Purgatory: Odd choice. It's one of my favorite maps. It has a nice size, plenty of places to go to and hide, and good running terrain.
Jaws: Too much water, not enough land.
PokeMon Stadium: It deserves to go. I've hated it since my first game there.
New Venice: I don't care if this stays or goes. It's an OK map for hiding and running, although the water can kill the best runners just because it's everywhere, and eventually you HAVE to dive in.
SkyGardens: I don't like this map too much either. It's more bent on hiding, with little room to run.
DeRailed: Despite the somewhat massive underground, this map is pretty good. Nice places to go and hide, and you can use interesting tactics to run. Requires good skill to win on.
YggDrasil: It's just a giant tree... nothing else. Why does this map exist again?
Shrooms: Another map I really don't care much for. I don't play there that much anyway.

Mccuish

The Canadian Nightmare
Contributor
Reaction score
i love skygarden, purgatory, and jaws. The map runrunrun and chaos should be back in the rotation but i'm starting to hate grandprix cause its so overplayed

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
- Battlecruiser - Never played
- The Library - can't really say I like too much about this map.
- Airbattle - Tried it once, surprised how long I hid underground while staying legal (IT'S POSSIBLE)
- Purgatory - Never liked this map. A bit too crowded
- Jaws - Played a few times, though too watery.
- PokemonStadium - Not a good setup, though interesting concept.
- New Venice - It's a nice map for Minecraft freerunning!
- Skygardens - REALLY with you on this one. Not only that, but the leaves make my computer lag to the point where I can't play!
- Derailed - This is one of my more favorites!
- Yggdrasil - Meh, it's okay.
- Shrooms - I kinda like the map.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Derailed, Shrooms, Yggdrasil and Purgatory are truely classic and awesome maps - they should actually stay in rotation. Also, chaos should not and never be put in rotation again, the map had an awful gameplay with those secrets that took you 3-5 minutes to finish the complete walk (it also creates quite a lot lag)
About runrunrun, it was always overplayed when the map was in rotation (also got queued a lot) and therefore wasn't that fun anymore, even the best maps have to be out of rotation every now and then.

Reactions: Jayfeather

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
Well, the rotation Does change every few weeks, through some maps could be wiped out.

I think we could PM the HC or Controllers every few weeks about the maps to change them, it's not really a big problem.

Some People Do hate nobuild128, why others, like me love it.

Everyone has different styles and likes on which map they prefer. A running map, for example will be liked by people who run good, or just enjoy being a zombie and eating lot's of humans. A hiding map might be exciting for a zombie to find for humans.

EDIT: Also I think The maps should be like mixed and all, because sometimes you do get a map you played just 2 rounds ago.

JtTorso

Reaction score
This is my biggest problem with maps, the "good" ones are almost all runner maps, and in all honesty, I hate them, probably because I enjoy some diversity and creativity in maps, runner maps are bland, and almost every time a runner map is up to vote it wins, I'd much rather see the rotation changed randomly every 2-3 weeks (with none of the same maps from the first rotation) instead of all runner maps, problem solved, stop complaining.

Reactions: Mooglie and Alisha

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Tbh, I think there should be some kind of 'voting' every week, Like Zombie staff voting but It'll choose what maps go into rotation based on the maps that people like, To get a good variety so that people aren't playing the server with a rotation that they dislike every map.

ZariatN2

Reaction score
Derailed, Shrooms, Yggdrasil and Purgatory are truely classic and awesome maps - they should actually stay in rotation
even the best maps have to be out of rotation every now and then.
----

I'd really just like the rotation to be bigger or changed more often. Most of the time, I log in, see the same boring map I've seen a year before and log off. Of course it's not possible to spread them out equally over a long period of time and I can imagine it'd be tedious for the HCs too, but keeping certain maps like jaws (and some more) out shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

omgitsathong

PinWheels
Reaction score
My opinion with the lists is that all the zombie pros one are disliked. No offense intended to anyone, but people dislike maps that they usually can't win on as a human, but love maps "vault for example at the end" because there's a high chance of survival. None of the runner maps seem to be disliked because vet players love playing run maps. New players don't enjoy running maps as others do is what I notice. They believe its too simple and lame. I myself love any kind of map. It's fun to mix up the maps every once in awhile, running maps will eventually get boring if played over and over. Plus, would a human run forever in a zombie apocalypse? :p take some time to relax and hide! A more frequent rotation would be nice but definitely not all runner maps or mostly runner maps. just my two cents on this :)

Reactions: Summer10

Swate

Llamasaur!
Reaction score
Website
www.iamawesome.com
I think that there should be a vote, where all the names of every zombie map existent are put up with the options "Awesome, Good, Alright, Bad, Terrible, Have Not Seen" to see what the whole community thinks, not just a few people.

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Actually, I hate easy-win maps and try to make them as challenging as possible for me. Like on basictraining, I stay on the ground rather than the cheap roof.

fireball0409

Reaction score
I agree with having a vote to see which maps go into rotation. This way the people that vote would love the rotaion and wont complain about boring maps because they picked them. Most of the maps under the dislike I don't care for as well. Except Purgatory, which I think is very fun. We need a balance of hiding and runner maps for the server to be enjoyable for everybody. Novice to Veteran players.

Reactions: Dan and Maxyz73

Guinessis

Reaction score
I'd recommend not going by majority rule since everyone has a different opinion on what constitutes a "good" map - you'll need a different metric. I'd separate the maps into several core types. For example:

Running/Jumping - Runrunrun/rungasm/bootcamp etc. Adminium and lots of running is the name of the game here.
Classic - TheEstate/Shrooms/Purgatory/Oilrig. Generally smaller, with very little adminium. This is the original style for zombie maps, offering the players complete freedom.
Constrained - Sunspots/Fortress/Carson. Themed with adminium layers underneath the scenery to avoid digging. These aren't running maps, but they aren't completely free-form either.

Each player may have different preferences. My ideal playlist would be all constrained, which is why I made so many of them. However I suspect Damer would rather go with Classic. I'd make a combination of all three types to keep the players happy, and judge individual maps on how well they are constructed. Rotate the playlists on a frequent basis so that players don't get sick of a certain map (GrandPrix).

EDIT: I like the idea of a community voting effort on the maps, as long as people aren't too harsh on maps that they don't like. You don't want to discourage new map makers.

Jowe

Giver of Pancakes
Reaction score
You sad people, I would of loved to see yalls comments when we only played 10 maps! - Lesson: appreciate the diversity you have.

You're going to find everyone has different likes and dislikes, I like a majority of the maps in that list. You're opinion is not the best opinion, its just an opinion.

The better suggestion would be to ask Listings if we could have a better map voting system, The current map voting system can really leave the diversity lacking. often the same maps will be up for vote, We have TONS of different maps in a rotation, but something should be done in making sure we see that diversity. This would be a ton of work though - And we love are Listings and don't want to run him off : P anyways -

IMO: This is a bad thread, it would be better to make a suggestion for a redesign the end round map voting.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Well I like that users are appealing to my Idea.

Illusionist

The Neighbourhood <3
Reaction score
How about we increase the voting to three maps.

As Guinessis has said.
We can have a map being a running/jumping.
We can have a classic map.
We can have a constrained map.

This is how it will look.
1.Rungasm
2.Shrooms
3.Fortress

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Well, Might have a comment for this?
So you could rate a map when you are playing that map.
Like /ratethismap [very bad] [bad] [a bit bad] [normal] [a bit good] [good] [very good]

You can only use it once on maps. And you have to be on the map to rate it.
And then ofcourse the maybe op+ command, or HC command /ratelookup [mapname]
And maps that have been rated bad maybe get removed from the rotation?

(Maybe a command to see all -rated or +rated maps in the current rotation)
/ratelookup [very bad] [bad] [a bit bad] [normal] [a bit good] [good] [very good]

I know the /ratethismap could be abused my trolls who will rate all maps bad, but I dont know a soluion for that ;/

Maybe that could help to find unliked maps