Declined [CtF] Nether

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggish

Reaction score
Map name: Nether
Map author: iggy234_2001
Game type: Capture the Flag
Map world border: The whole "cuboid" thingy.
Download: /warp nether on create
Round Length: 390 seconds
Minimum amount of players: 4

Names of teams: Black and Red
Spawn Locations: in the "castle" on either side of the map. Underneath the flag. It's marked by a bedrock block.
Flag Locations: on top of the "castle". Upwards from the spawns.
Fall Damage: yes
Can Drown: yes
Kit name: "_____ team demon":
-the coloured leather armour, black dye/red dye
-a power IV bow with infinity
- 1 arrow
- a diamond sword sharpness V kb I

Flag Carrier kit: "_____ team devil":
-the leather armour
-diamond sword sharpness V kb II
-Fire resistance potion effect

Last edited:

SalientGorilla

The Brutal Create Dictator
Reaction score
Going with a 0 for now. nicely laid out map, plenty of runs. However, there isn't an awful lot of cover when you're running along those massive straights and they are an awfully long run back with no cover. if there were some forms of cover added, I'll change to a +1

• Informative
Reactions: Iggish

Iggish

Reaction score
Going with a 0 for now. nicely laid out map, plenty of runs. However, there isn't an awful lot of cover when you're running along those massive straights and they are an awfully long run back with no cover. if there were some forms of cover added, I'll change to a +1
Ok, cover on the sides have now been added.

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
Hi Iggy, thanks for submitting this map!
after looking into this map I'm going for a 0
Even tho you added more obstacles, it's still pretty uncovered in my opinion which will make it hard to move forward (especially the center, you can easily be shot down from the sides).

Further you also confused me a bit with the potions in the chests in the center, is there a specific reasoning behind them?

Iggish

Reaction score
Hi Iggy, thanks for submitting this map!
after looking into this map I'm going for a 0
Even tho you added more obstacles, it's still pretty uncovered in my opinion which will make it hard to move forward (especially the center, you can easily be shot down from the sides).

Further you also confused me a bit with the potions in the chests in the center, is there a specific reasoning behind them?
Well, there are alternative ways to push forward. Also, since this map has bows, not guns, many people will find it harder to hit people. I guess i could add more obstacles but that would kind of make the map's "running" feel sluggish.
The idea's kind of supposed to be that you get some cover, then quickly run to more cover, then more cover, so it is a risk trying to progress, but as I said there are many ways to progress so i don't think this would be a major issue.
With the chests, there's not really any reason for them other than to "spice" the gameplay up a bit. Also they might be an incentive for people to rush the middle at the start resulting in an entertaining blood bath.
If any of what I've said doesn't make sense or I seem to be rambling it's because i'm really tired right now.

Edit: if anything the centre has more cover than the sides. It also has higher ground so it is an advantage to the people there. I don't see how people in the centre can easily be "shot down" from the sides..... could you explain this?

Last edited:

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for submitting the map, iggy!

I do think the game-play would be balanced and fun however there are a few things that I feel need to be changed:
  • There need to be direct routes up if you fall down, as it is very irritating trying to find a way up if you don't instantly notice the jump pads located around the edges/inside pillars.
  • The directness in the way you run makes you an easy targets, there aren't many twists and turns and that can make game-play stale.
Examples:

If you can improve these hallways and mix up the routes, and change how direct the line is to the flag (perhaps make 2 paths to the flag in the first picture, rather than 1 path in between to pillars) then I'll vote a +1, however for now I am voting 0.

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
With the chests, there's not really any reason for them other than to "spice" the gameplay up a bit. Also they might be an incentive for people to rush the middle at the start resulting in an entertaining blood bath.
Thats alright I think, not sure if its gonna be of use tho because:
- when you die, effects get reset so no use if you die moments later
- 8 minutes ? Ctf rounds dont even take that long
- will take away the focus of the main objective: capturing the flag

Then to go into the potions, 8 minute invisibility? You can still see armor. Which cant be removed afaik (?).

Edit: if anything the centre has more cover than the sides. It also has higher ground so it is an advantage to the people there. I don't see how people in the centre can easily be "shot down" from the sides..... could you explain this?
Apolagy, didnt describe it very well, I meant the long paths leading to the center (screenshotted by friendy above this post)
My suggestion for the potions would be easy: place commandblocks with pressure plates and short effects like swiftness 2 for 10 seconds, this will cause people to use the center for this effect and use the sides for more sneaky attacks

Iggish

Reaction score
I have now made it that's it's not a straight run to and from the flag, instead people attacking the flag centrally will have to jump over the gap to the flag. However, they are not able to jump back across. Instead there will have to use paths/little platforms I have added.

If the chests are going to be a problem, I'll just remove them.

Friendy your third screenshot is showing one of the ways out of spawn. As I have signs warning against spawnkilling I doubt there will be a lot of fighting in that tunnel so there's not really any point to improving that hallway.

However, I have added a bit of cover to the other part of the hallway which should break up the running and not make it so direct.

Reactions: Friendy

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I have now made it that's it's not a straight run to and from the flag, instead people attacking the flag centrally will have to jump over the gap to the flag. However, they are not able to jump back across. Instead there will have to use paths/little platforms I have added.

If the chests are going to be a problem, I'll just remove them.

Friendy your third screenshot is showing one of the ways out of spawn. As I have signs warning against spawnkilling I doubt there will be a lot of fighting in that tunnel so there's not really any point to improving that hallway.

However, I have added a bit of cover to the other part of the hallway which should break up the running and not make it so direct.
Fighting can happen that way if a flag carrier goes through there, you should probably move the spawn area and make it so you can only get out of the spawn and not back in to stop any issues with "spawn killing".

I still find it is really easy to camp on the flag and stop incoming attacks, can you change the way you get to the flag? Maybe add another route?

Iggish

Reaction score
With the introduction of the tnt gamemode, I would like to now turn this ctf map submission into a tnt map submission =D

Kits:
1 large tnt
32 tnt
4 grenades
4 flash grenades
explosive bow
2 explosive arrows

ty!

Reactions: Mastersten

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
With the introduction of the tnt gamemode, I would like to now turn this ctf map submission into a tnt map submission =D

Kits:
1 large tnt
32 tnt
4 grenades
4 flash grenades
explosive bow
2 explosive arrows

ty!
Map would suit better as a TNT map for sure. +1

ComputerGuy_

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in replying again, I realise this thread has been here since July.
While you did try to convert this to the TnT game mode, I'm not really sure it will work well. There are a lot of tight corridors which you'll be well aware are easy to camp in Tnt with the bows and mines. The other issue, is that you haven't completely converted it to a TnT map - there's still flags!
Although you have had positive ratings from staff, I don't feel like the map would be particularly enjoyable on the server, so I'll decline it. Feel free to re-submit it with some changes because I do feel like the map has potential.
-Declined

Status
Not open for further replies.