CTF GameType Discussion & Feedback

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
Hopefully you've played the new CTF maps! If not, they're available on the Blocktopiedia for you to see. Look for the CTF- tag in the maps.

If you want to give your voice on how much fun, or lack thereof, these maps are, please state so here. Needless to say, be honest, and if you've found any flaws, bugs, or errors in the system, please report them here as well -- They're not perfect maps, and it's quite a big hurdle that we've taken to introduce CTF to a generic Team Deathmatch game.

balloon98

The balloon that never pops
Reaction score
I like the CTF-Osiris map its fun and easy to play but the other one which I cant find/remember the name is is too big. Also a problem with these maps is its hard to find the flags of where they are.

Alkatraz

Reaction score
I'd just like to say, I've now played CTF-Osiris twice now, and both times it has been BRILLIANT fun!
Unlike Conquest, I get so easily distracted by getting the flag, and forget about killing people sometimes!

I love the touch with the winner of the game being the team with the most captures, and to say it in public rather than in OPChat, I would also like the top 3 to be based on captures not kills.
After all, you still get points for the individual kills, and it'd be nice to get an additional reward for capturing the flag!

There are other cool things planned for the future in TNT, and if they are of the same standard as CTF maps, then Primordia, you don't stand a chance against TNT! ;)

@Razinao I'm sure you've thought of it, but Conquest (100 points to the team holding the fort at the end?)

Reactions: balloon98

Razinao

Reaction score
I'm planning on... revamping Conquest into an actual KOTH 3 minute hold-em. Or the team which has held it out the longest (every 1: if fort==blue: worldvar z $eval(z+1); if fort==red: worldvar y $eval(y+1))

Theres also some other things I want to try with the CTF theory.

Instead of being able to cap their flag, you must have your own flag at base. This means i'll have to modify the 'detection' for where you are in your own base, and you'll have to run near your flag (i think thats... 4+4+2+2+4 check blocks) when it's returned to cap it.

This may reduce the 11-10 and very close games, solely because people are running faster and theres no method of catching up.

Thats also something i'm a bit in a miff about, is that theres no way to catch up to the person carrying the flag. But, that applies in most other games as well.

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
I've played CTF-Osiris, and I agree, CTF is darn fun. I like it so much I want to play it all the time, but this is TNT Wars, not CTF :3. One thing I don't like, however, is how easily you can capture it. All you have to do is dodge a couple of pistols and some TNT, maybe a C4, get the flag, then just run back to your base. Defending doesn't do much unless you can somehow block the flag with C4s.

Razinao

Reaction score
I've played CTF-Osiris, and I agree, CTF is darn fun. I like it so much I want to play it all the time, but this is TNT Wars, not CTF :3. One thing I don't like, however, is how easily you can capture it. All you have to do is dodge a couple of pistols and some TNT, maybe a C4, get the flag, then just run back to your base. Defending doesn't do much unless you can somehow block the flag with C4s.
This is exactly why I want to enforce that you can only capture if you have your flag. When @KingSam get's on next i'll get him to edit the map so I modify the script.

Celebrir

Reaction score
CTF?!
Seriously :D
I should visit TNT more often. Unfortunately I'm unable to, I'm in England atm with my school.

Ps: If somebody lives near penzance(Cornwall), pm me... We could meet :)

Razinao

Reaction score
Also can we make it so its illegal to place portals at the 2 flag rooms because I played this today (0x3c0 was there too) and blue won like 13 to 4 because of portals
I'm going to talk to KingSam and inquire his opinion when he's on about adding spawnportals and flagroom portals to the rules list.

Razinao

Reaction score
In the Generic CTF game on most games, i.e, TF2 and Ut2004, it's always hard to catch up with the person carrying the flag.

Theres a new variant of CTF-Osiris [CTF-Osiris2] which tests the theory of having to have your flag in your base and the enemy flag to score. Hopefully it won't cause problems.

Chinner2

Reaction score
Can't wait to try CTF-Osiris2. And yes portals are a problem. Also we should make it not allowed to go on the ceiling. I find this cheating since noone can see you nor is anyone looking at the roof.