Status
Not open for further replies.

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
In-Game Username: Crashb23

Staff References: None
Time Spent on Server: 116 Hours
Other Server Ranks: JtE/SMP Operator (Present) AoD Trusted (Present/On Trial) ZS Trusted (Past)
Teamspeak: Yes, but only for meetings.

How would you describe the responsibilities of the rank you are applying for: Any staff member's job is to make the server more fun, fair, and safe for every player. As a mayor, you do this by regulating the towns, hosting parliament and other town based events, and fixing bugs in glitches in the Clan System. A mayor has to be able to make decisions, settle town disputes, create events, and do all of this while remaining calm and helpful.

Tell us about your experience as an Operator: I have been an SMP/JTE operator since November of 2012. This rank has meant a lot to me, and I have striven to fulfill my responsibilities to the best of my abilities. In the previous SMP I focused mostly on dealing with day-to-day rulebreakers and issues. Now, I feel I am ready to add organizing events and dealing with larger server issues to my repertoire.

Tell us about yourself: I like moving fast. I ride roller-coasters, go-karts, snowboards, and just run. However, this is oddly coupled with my other hobbies of reading, collecting minerals, and playing Minecraft. I am interested in science and math, and will be starting programming courses next year. I really love this server and find it one of the most refreshingly polite and uplifting places I have ever seen. I aspire to become much more involved in the server

Sincerely and Happily,

Crashb23 (Russell)

P.S.
Don't I just look like a mayor?

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Right, so...

I feel that it may have been too early to apply (the rank won't be running off anywhere!) and that you don't fully understand the power and responsibility you will have to carry with the rank. Having applied for Economist, I didn't even realize how hard it would be until I was actually there - and it was/is quite difficult.

However, my main problem is that although I feel you may be able to uphold the rank and do a decent job, this application seems hastily constructed and doesn't really go into details anywhere; I feel as if your answer to "Tell us about your experience as an Operator" only had one sentence that really had any real answer to it. It is a VetOp application, and when you have the privilege to apply for this rank you should put your full effort forward. I'm not sure if you fully understand the rank of Mayor, as you've focused more on creating events (which is a one of the more trivial parts of staff roles, and quite uncommon) rather than the day-to-day duties that will make up the core your rank - managing town applications, setting up the town, making tweaks to wherever necessary and possibly disbanding a town if the need arises.

I also feel as if you want the rank, and the responsibilities that come with it, but only want it solely for the prestige and power that comes with it. This deeply troubles me. I'll tell you this - if you want it for the rank, it will be a lot of work all for that green name, and your heart should be in it. Applying this early tells me this (23 hours after the announced demotion), and I feel you should wait until you feel you've fully experienced the Operator rank, enough so that you are ready for the challenge and responsibilities the Mayor rank provides.

I initially supported your applying for Mayor, however I thought you would be waiting a few weeks for it. No doubt you're a capable and experienced Operator, and a well-liked community member, but right now is just not the right time to prove this as a Mayor. My personal advice - wait a good 3-4 weeks or so, come out strong with a solid application, have a full knowledge of the rank as if you already have it and have a Controller's support (it's not part of the application for nothing!).

TL;DR For now, I feel like this application, and the time in which you've applied just doesn't cut it for this rank.

Good luck!

LagWarrior

SMP Veteran Operator
Reaction score
I also feel as if you want the rank, and the responsibilities that come with it, but only want it solely for the prestige and power that comes with it. This deeply troubles me. I'll tell you this - if you want it for the rank, it will be a lot of work all for that green name, and your heart should be in it. Applying this early tells me this (23 hours after the announced demotion), and I feel you should wait until you feel you've fully experienced the Operator rank, enough so that you are ready for the challenge and responsibilities the Mayor rank provides.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I finished reading the application. Crash, you're a good guy and I respect you; however, this application does seem slap-dashed. I am under the suspicion that you went for this position just for the benefits. Also, that there may be a possible fact that you applied because there was an open spot due to bib's demotion. You've been a great operator, but I still want to see more out of you.

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
Ok, I understand both of your concerns and I'll address them in turn.

Right, so...

I feel that it may have been too early to apply (the rank won't be running off anywhere!) and that you don't fully understand the power and responsibility you will have to carry with the rank. Having applied for Economist, I didn't even realize how hard it would be until I was actually there - and it was/is quite difficult.
I also feel that I may have made a mistake with the timing of my application, but it's too late to change that now. I had been attempting to apply for economist, and the day before I did, your application was posted. I guess that just made me worry about someone posting before me again. However, I must disagree with you about your second point. I feel as if I fully understand the responsibility of being a mayor, and I believe I am ready to take on the challenge associated with the position.

However, my main problem is that although I feel you may be able to uphold the rank and do a decent job, this application seems hastily constructed and doesn't really go into details anywhere; I feel as if your answer to "Tell us about your experience as an Operator" only had one sentence that really had any real answer to it. It is a VetOp application, and when you have the privilege to apply for this rank you should put your full effort forward. I'm not sure if you fully understand the rank of Mayor, as you've focused more on creating events (which is a one of the more trivial parts of staff roles, and quite uncommon) rather than the day-to-day duties that will make up the core your rank - managing town applications, setting up the town, making tweaks to wherever necessary and possibly disbanding a town if the need arises.
I guess I didn't do a very good job of vocalizing my ideas here. I spent a large part of the day scrapping different parts and rewriting it multiple times, and I guess the end product doesn't show it. You state that my applications seems like I don't understand the rank of Mayor. I came in more with the attitude that I could learn the core, unchanging part of being a Mayor when I got the rank, and I could bring new ideas and innovations on the side to support the basics.

Here, I must disagree with you. I do not take staffing lightly, and I am not so shallow that I would take a vital position just to feed my self-esteem. Also, I believe I have fully experienced the Operator rank. As I stated above, I have been an operator since November of last year, and during that time I have learned the ins-and-outs of staffing.

I initially supported your applying for Mayor, however I thought you would be waiting a few weeks for it. No doubt you're a capable and experienced Operator, and a well-liked community member, but right now is just not the right time to prove this as a Mayor. My personal advice - wait a good 3-4 weeks or so, come out strong with a solid application, have a full knowledge of the rank as if you already have it and have a Controller's support (it's not part of the application for nothing!).

TL;DR For now, I feel like this application, and the time in which you've applied just doesn't cut it for this rank.

Good luck!
I do feel as if I rushed in a bit here, but I am not going to retract it now. I appreciate your advice, and I look forward to working with you if all go's well :p

This is exactly what I was thinking when I finished reading the application. Crash, you're a good guy and I respect you; however, this application does seem slap-dashed. I am under the suspicion that you went for this position just for the benefits. Also, that there may be a possible fact that you applied because there was an open spot due to bib's demotion. You've been a great operator, but I still want to see more out of you.
I promise you I am not applying for benefits. I am dedicated, and I view this rank as a responsibility, as well as a way to improve the server. I don't quite understand your point about applying because of the vacancy left by Bib. That is of course why it was possible to apply, without the open spot, there would be no rank to apply for. Finally, I am sorry you don't see enough out of me. If I do not get this spot, I will still take all of your advice and strive to be the best operator I can be.

Thanks for all your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Baker93

Alkaqube
Reaction score
I think you see where this is going, and it is indeed nice to see you stick it through to the end, rather than take an easy withdraw.

Unfortunately I've got to agree that this seems rushed. Don't get me wrong, I can clearly see that you have put a great deal of thought and effort into the application. It is simply that you seem to have skipped over quite a few points, perhaps prioritising getting it done, over getting it done to the best of your abilities.

I feel that everything else I'd bring up has been previously mentioned, so I won't bother with glorified repetition!

• Love
Reactions: crashb23

Marnixxie

Hippo
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't find it wrong timing, if we did not want someone on the spot, I would not have opened it with Qube.

Even though, I would fully support you in your interest for a higher rank or more responsibilities, I have to stay with the flow of the feeling of the staff roles and above. In my believing, you can be eventually a greater value to the team at some point, though the moment hasn't come yet.

I feel in the team's reply a bit of uncomfortableness. That's why I would like to invite you to our discussion channel, so you can get more used to each other as a team and how we manage the staff roles and/or server as a whole.

So far, I can clearly see you understand the basics of becoming a mayor, though there is more than just basics. Please accept my offer to come regullary to our channel, in case you do, please open a conversation with me!

Declined for now, best of wishes!

• Love
Reactions: crashb23
Status
Not open for further replies.