[COMP] Mirador

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Woo, first map submission, here goes!
Name of map: Mirador (it means the same thing as watchtower and observatory)
Author: Jivvi! (me!)
Size: Circular map, boundary is 85 blocks from the centre
Map boundary: x: -2653, z: -265 as above, a radius of 85 blocks
Kits:
Dark Hunter
Marauder
- Diamond Boots
- Bow
- 64 Arrows
- 16 Apples
Hunter
Marauder
- Diamond Boots
- Bow
- 64 Arrows
- 16 Apples
Survivor
Vigil
- Diamond Boots
- Bow
- 64 Arrows
- 16 Apples
Scavenger
Vigil
- Diamond Boots
- Bow
- 64 Arrows
- 16 Apples
Juggernaut
Vigilante
- Leather Tunic
- Iron Boots
- Sharpness X Iron Axe
- Power X Bow
- 192 Arrows
- 64 Apples
Random or choose kits?: Random Kits! The kits are kinda the same anyway :laugh:
Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/pVgQl
Notes: This is a competition map, and it is based on Kirby Scope Shot, a minigame found in Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Kirby's Adventure Wii)

(I couln't find one with 4 Kirbys :()
Also, I was wondering if the surrounding land mass could be removed from around the map, cause I have no idea how :roflmao:
-> You may have noticed that the map separates Survivors and Hunters so that they can only get each other with bows. I've tried to engineer the map so that Survivors can't just hide the map away, but I'm not perfect. I've decided, though, that even if Survivors manage to hide the map away, they wouldn't really get as many brains as they probably would if they had played properly, and it's far lees fun to just hide! :laugh:
Download Link:
It's in BuilBox, soooooo....
I'll try to get got a warp up, it'll be is called Mirador, so try it later so try now!
Input File:
I hope it's right, tell me if it isn't! :laugh:
Code:
MapName: Mirador
Author: Jivvikins
BuildTime: 30
GameTime: 300
WorldTime: 15000
SpawnProtectTime: 300
WorldWeather: 0
Team0:
  SpawnType: 0
  SpawnLocation:
    ==: Vector
    x: -2653
    y: 59
    z: -264.5
  ChooseKit: false
  OneKitPerRound: false
  KitResetTime: 0
  BoxChance: 0
Team1:
  SpawnType: 0
  SpawnLocation:
    y: 69
    z: -265
  ChooseKit: false
Centre:
  y: 54
  z: -265
WorldSize: 85
SkyLimit: 0
ResetInventory: true
CanUseLocate: true
SurvivorRestrictedPlaceAll: true
SurvivorRestrictedBreakAll: true
HunterRestrictedPlaceAll: true
HunterRestrictedBreakAll: true
MysteryBoxChance: 0
SurvivorRestrictedBreak:
- BEDROCK
SurvivorRestrictedPlace:
- BEDROCK
SurvivorRestrictedBreakEx:
- AIR
HunterRestrictedPlace:
- BEDROCK
HunterRestrictedBreak:
- BEDROCK
Kit:
  HunterFree:
    Vigil:
    - DIAMOND_BOOTS
    - BOW
    - ARROW|64
    - APPLE|16
  Juggernaut:
    Vigilante:
    - LEATHER_CHESTPLATE
    - CHAINMAIL_LEGGINGS
    - IRON_BOOTS
    - IRON_AXE.DAMAGE_ALL:10
    - BOW.ARROW_DAMAGE:10
    - ARROW|64
    - ARROW|64
    - ARROW|64
    - APPLE|64
  HunterLeader:
    Marauder:
    - DIAMOND_BOOTS
    - BOW
    - ARROW|64
    - APPLE
  HunterStart:
    Marauder:
    - DIAMOND_BOOTS
    - BOW
    - ARROW|64
    - APPLE
  SurvivorStart:
    Vigil:
    - DIAMOND_BOOTS
    - BOW
    - ARROW|64
    - APPLE|16
Special thanks to iiDeathCookies. I wore your head the whole time and I have no idea why.

I think that's everything, so, hopefully I do okay!
:laugh:

• Thank You
Reactions: Zelz

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Wow, first off thank you very much for submitting a map!
Thanks for completing the input file too, it's almost perfect! :D You just added an unwanted space, but I have sorted it out for you ;)
As for the map itself, I really like the idea! I think it will be lots of fun! However, in my opinion I don't think the survivors should just be able to be invincible and hide for the round if they wish (there are areas where they can sit in their shelters and not get hit), I think it will be more fun to make it so everyone is in the open and at risk of being killed, so that's something I would love to see change.
It doesn't look like you have made it so the hunters and survivors spawn in a different location though, I thought the idea was that the hunters are on the outside and the survivors are on the inside and can go on the outside if they wish? Just take a look at the co ordinates for the spawns, as they seem to both spawn in the same place.
The outside grass will be cut out automatically if you have set the world size right, which it looks like you have ;)
The kits seem fine, however remember that hunters don't need food ;)
I do really like this map, though!
Maybe make it look more interesting in the desert if you can, but i'm leaning to a +1! Good luck!

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Thanks for completing the input file too, it's almost perfect! :D You just added an unwanted space, but I have sorted it out for you ;)
As for the map itself, I really like the idea! I think it will be lots of fun! However, in my opinion I don't think the survivors should just be able to be invincible and hide for the round if they wish (there are areas where they can sit in their shelters and not get hit), I think it will be more fun to make it so everyone is in the open and at risk of being killed, so that's something I would love to see change.
It doesn't look like you have made it so the hunters and survivors spawn in a different location though, I thought the idea was that the hunters are on the outside and the survivors are on the inside and can go on the outside if they wish? Just take a look at the co ordinates for the spawns, as they seem to both spawn in the same place.
The outside grass will be cut out automatically if you have set the world size right, which it looks like you have ;)
Maybe make it look more interesting in the desert if you can, but i'm leaning to a +1! Good luck!

Well! :laugh:
Thanks for all your help with the input file, first off!
I, as I said before, have tried my best to make sure that nowhere is safe from a sharp shooter, and that last bit was just saying that, even if they find a hiding spot, their overall brainsandfun output will be lower.
Looking closer at the spawns, I realized that I made a typo, so thanks for that too! The Hunters spawn is 10 blocks lower than I had before in the file, but it's fixed now.
Concerning the grass, I was just saying that because I gave the boundary a bit of breathing room, in case I fluffed it up! :laugh:
I know that the desert is a bit plain, but I knda want it to be like that. I was even unsure about putting in the buried/ruinsy structures (I still dont know what they are). I'm sure that the little structures will improve the gameplay, but I don't want to put much more in; I want the desert to be nice and open. (Also, if you watched the videos provided, there isn't a huge amount of stuff in the Scope Shot plains either.
Hunter kits, well, I know they don't need food, but I gave them apples to match up with the other kits, and also because, well, they're apples! (The extra food may also be useful to a Juggernaut, who's best course of action may be to abandon the Mirador and take their chances in the desert)

Thanks for the feedback!
(the map would already be extremely flawed without it)
:roflmao:

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score

I, as I said before, have tried my best to make sure that nowhere is safe from a sharp shooter, and that last bit was just saying that, even if they find a hiding spot, their overall brainsandfun output will be lower.
Looking closer at the spawns, I realized that I made a typo, so thanks for that too! The Hunters spawn is 10 blocks lower than I had before in the file, but it's fixed now.
Concerning the grass, I was just saying that because I gave the boundary a bit of breathing room, in case I fluffed it up! :laugh:
I know that the desert is a bit plain, but I knda want it to be like that. I was even unsure about putting in the buried/ruinsy structures (I still dont know what they are). I'm sure that the little structures will improve the gameplay, but I don't want to put much more in; I want the desert to be nice and open. (Also, if you watched the videos provided, there isn't a huge amount of stuff in the Scope Shot plains either.
Hunter kits, well, I know they don't need food, but I gave them apples to match up with the other kits, and also because, well, they're apples! (The extra food may also be useful to a Juggernaut, who's best course of action may be to abandon the Mirador and take their chances in the desert)

Thanks for the feedback!
Okay thanks! Yes, I did notice that the desert was plain on the video, but maybe still make the desert less flat? :) I didn't necessarily mean more builds, just make it a bit more exiting and add more terrain? :)
Yes, I understand that the brains gained will be lower if they survive, but it will get very annoying if there is one survivor left and the hunters can't get a shot at them; they would just sit bored for the rest of the round. :p
Also, once the map is released I can have a go at getting rid of the grass bit for you, but it would be much easier if you just set the boundary for it please ;)
I'm sure you won't mess up, but I can easily check if you have messed up if you put a sponge at the center of the map. That way when I go onto the plot I can count the world size just to double check ;)

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback!
Okay thanks! Yes, I did notice that the desert was plain on the video, but maybe still make the desert less flat? :) I didn't necessarily mean more builds, just make it a bit more exiting and add more terrain? :)
Yes, I understand that the brains gained will be lower if they survive, but it will get very annoying if there is one survivor left and the hunters can't get a shot at them; they would just sit bored for the rest of the round. :p
Also, once the map is released I can have a go at getting rid of the grass bit for you, but it would be much easier if you just set the boundary for it please ;)
I'm sure you won't mess up, but I can easily check if you have messed up if you put a sponge at the center of the map. That way when I go onto the plot I can count the world size just to double check ;)

Yeah, well, I stink at smooth landscape, and if I try to texture the desert a bit I'll probably screw it up beyond recognition. I agree that it's flat, but I reckon it should work. As for the hiding spot, like I've said, sharp shooters should hopefully be able to dispatch the bad sports, but if not, I dunno how else to work it. I guess it also kinda relies on the sportsmanship of fellow players!
Also, With the grass bit, I'm not that confident with reducing the boundary, because if some of the map is cut off by WorldBorder, the gameplay will be severely hindered, and I didn't mark the centre because it ended up being on the surface, under the middle of the central, lowest point of the Mirador; it's one of those 4 blocks, I'm not quite sure which.

Yeah, not quite sure how else to configure things, but thats for the input!

EDIT:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just remebered that I saved a schematic of it too, named Jivvistuff, although I don't know waht to do with it to make things easier for you guys!

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Okay, just looking back, even if you can't make the desert look more interesting, maybe make the main building a bit more interesting? Make it taller and decorate it a bit more?
It's just a really like this idea, but for me the map itself looks a bit boring and is letting it down.
Or you can just have a go at making the desert look a bit more interesting. Remember, I'm not just saying this because I want you to do more things for the fun of it, I want you do to these things so your map has a better chance of getting accepted ;)

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Yeah, I know,
I just don't know how!
Either try and make terrain, or add more ruined buildings. I know it won't look completely like the game itself, but you can change the map a bit to suit AoD.
If you want to make the main building look better, just make it bigger, make it look more impressive. Maybe add towers to it and decorations. All of it doesn't have to be accessible but it would really make the map better for me.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
:help:

I really, don't know, I don't really wanna expand the tower too much, nor clog up the desert, but it possibly does need something! :unsure:

(have you noticed that noone else is in this thread? :eek: )

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
:help:

I really, don't know, I don't really wanna expand the tower too much, nor clog up the desert, but it possibly does need something! :unsure:

(have you noticed that noone else is in this thread? :eek: )
I have indeed, but hopefully the other staff will post soon. If not, don't worry, I will be sure to tag them ;)
Here are my ideas:
  • Just make the main building higher and with more amazing decoration. It doesn't have to be too big or even accessible, just make it look better. Even if it's just adding towers on it with windows and vines and nice pointy spiral roofs.
  • Add a few broken down buildings. You don't have to completely fill the desert, but just add some bigger structures. The desert has a lot of space, so you can't really say there isn't any room.
  • Use world edit to make hills and terrain. Or add palm trees or little pyramids. If you don't know how, just ask someone who knows how to use world edit to help you.
Just make the map look a bit more interesting. :p
Thanks!

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
First map review!

At first glance, I was frankly not impressed with this map. However, after I really looked in depth at the kits, set-up, and screenshots, I can firmly say that I believe this map would be a blast to play on AoD. It reminds me a lot of a paintball field, and just imagining sniping hunters out of that little crows nest as they duck behind cover sounds like so much fun. It may need a little more substance, as Infected_alien8_ said, but I wouldn't add more buildings - instead, I'd focus on making more tiny obstacles or little shooting areas for hunters to get up on and aim at humans. Also, you could add some walkways without railings to some cool pro-human areas that remain unreachable to add some risk.

Another thing I'd note is since the survivors can fall on the ground, I'd give every hunter a sword (preferably stone). It would add an incentive for humans to stay up on the nest and defend it as their home. Another thing you may want to lean for if you want a lot of strategic shooting is to make the bows Infinity I; just spouting ideas at this point.

Right now, I'd be willing to give this map a +1. If you added some extra rules/areas, it would be a cherry on top. Nice work!

Haysagar

AoD Con
Reaction score
I have quiet a few concerns about this map. Let's start with the main pvp on the map. The little windows on the side of each corner are way to small. I've taken some test shots and it's really hard to actually get a shoot inside. The angle has to be perfect or it will hit the top of the window or the bottom of the window. The Survivors will also have some difficulty shooting out of the windows. Most players are not that skilled using a bow. Then the spawning like what infected said. The spawning work currently how you have it. What about the first hunter on the map? They will turn hunter on the tower. Then this was also commented on by infected the terrain. When I was on the map today it looked like a plane sand wall with spammed sand on top. You could put a pattern on the wall maybe higher the walls in some places ect. I would give the map a 0 right now leaning to a -1. I don't think it's a playable map in it's current state.

ealev

Leafy Op
Reaction score
I'll be going with a 0. It, as Jammy said, is rather hard to shoot into some of the areas. And, everything in the desert seems very plain. Some small things popping up, but it's all very flat.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
No idea, I don't know how to elaborate on Mirador or Rush, and centering Stacker seems as likely as actually getting some of these accepted!

A little help would be greatly appreciated, if you find the time!
:laugh:

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Well like I already said, for mirador I think you should just add more to it more structures, terrain if possible.
I think Rush just needs to be made a lot bigger, and I think stacker just needs to be completely changed around. Try looking at the submissions and taking advice from the other staff too :)
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.