Cobwebs

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
So, for English we had to write a short story from a visual stimulus 9 we chose from a small variety of images). I was distracted by thoughts of here when we were shown the pictures, and saw one of someone shaking a steel bar door, and another of bars or a door or something, reflected in an eye gazing outside, and thought; Cobwebs! :laugh: This is the final product! Hope you like it :3
Cobwebs
I don’t know how I could have come to be here, only that it was cold, and dark. I tried to stand, but my legs gave way in an instant. I slumped back against the wall and sat silently, thinking nothing, barely conscious. As time passed, I felt stronger and more capable of moving. Before some of the heavy dust cleared, I thought that I would be able to feel slightly safer without the dark canvas of shadow engulfing me, but I couldn’t have been more misled. The cracked grey stone bricks that lined the tunnel seemed prehistoric and I did not trust the twisted iron support pillars to hold a roof over my head, let alone countless tons of earth. I decided to move, to search for something, anything; a way out, or some kind of tool, food or signs of life. Anything would be better than being forever trapped amidst an ancient labyrinth.
I don’t know how long I had been walking, but my legs were beginning to ache. I followed the tunnel around a sharp corner to a large room. An old wooden crate sat in one corner, and a large hole dropped out of the centre, falling into what appeared to be more tunnels, winding off every which way. I investigated the crate first, and the old, deteriorated boards turned out to be relatively easy to be relatively easy to prize apart, revealing what was contained inside. At first I was disappointed at first to find what seemed to be only soil, but as the rest of the crate fell away, I found two loaves of stale bread, a red cylinder and a rusty metal pickaxe. I began to wonder if I could dig my way out, but my stomach clenched and I realised how hungry I was. I glanced down at the loaves of stale bread. They wouldn’t last long, if they were even edible. As I my attention shifted to the odd tube, I wandered over to the large shaft falling out of the centre of the room. Looking down, there seemed to be more passageways sprawling onwards, but first I would have to find my way through a barricade of tarnished iron bars. Distracted by plotting how I could solve this dilemma, the cylinder slipped from my fingertip and down the hole. It exploded violently, and I was thrown backwards off my feet. Bewildered, I stood up again and peered down the slightly singed shaft. There was a small crater at the base of the hole now, and the bars had been blown apart. I set about gathering up the bread and the pickaxe and setting off.
My legs crumpled beneath me as I landed in a slightly more painful fashion than I had hoped. The blast had opened up a large hole in the bars, big enough to climb through. I found myself in a wide room with a low crumbly roof. Five tunnels wound out of this room, but one was a twisted iron grate blocking the route, another was caved in, and impassable, while the third tunnel seems to fall very steeply down into darkness, and if that route was wrong, I didn’t know if I would have been able to climb back up. In the end, I chose the second tunnel from the left, over the far right passage, because the ascending stairs I could see a short distance down gave me hope that I could escape. I slung my pickaxe over my shoulder. I was getting a little more comfortable with my environment. I tore a chunk of musty bread from the centre of one of the loaves, which was, for the most part, unsoiled. Looking for something to distract myself from my aching legs, I began to whistle, but soon began to cringe at my own horrid screeching.
After walking for some time, I began to feel quite fatigued. I sat down to rest, and spotted another old crate, under a pile of rubble. After shifting some of the smaller rocks, I was left with but one large stone block guarding the treasures contained in the box. I hefted the pickaxe, shifting its weight from one hand to another, before raising it above my head and bringing it down heavily onto the huge grey brick. I was struck deaf by the earsplitting ring that resonated from the head of the pickaxe as is snapped from the shaft and clattered off into the darkness. I cast aside the useless shaft and shoved aside the remnants of the stone block and turned my attention to the crate. This crate also contained a sizeable amount of dirt, which I exhaustedly shoved away with my hands. This crate revealed a twisted piece of iron, some small rocks; one among them was larger and sharper. I also found two more of the explosives, and several small bread rolls. As I pocketed these new and set off again, I could feel the darkness closing in once more. While before I could see sufficiently through the night vision I had slowly developed, there was now a thick fog or dust filling the passageways. I stumbled around, trying to find my way, as I saw a cluster of red gleaming lights at the end of the tunnel. Almost paralysed with fear, I whirled around faster than my feeble legs could handle and almost fell to the ground. I hurled the two explosives behind me at the dark behemoth and ran away down the passageway as fast as my legs could carry me.
I hurtled through the darkness, my possessions falling out of my pockets as I blundered up the passageway. I felt the large sharp stone under my feet and saw the sparks flying as it skidded across the floor of the tunnel. I felt a blast from behind as the sparks set off one of the explosives. Before I had time to worry about the other, I saw it fly overhead and explode in front of me. I dodged falling bricks and boulders by the light of the fiery blazes and ran onwards. As the light faded away, I shot a darting glance behind me. The red eyes seemed to keep up with me, while staying the same unsettling distance away. I scrabbled my along the passageway, my hand heavily bruised from holding against the rocky, uneven wall to maintain my direction. I didn’t feel hungry, nor tired, nor lost any longer. All I knew was that if I stopped for any reason, the beast pursuing me would be my end. I found myself stumbling up low staircases and running unsteadily around hairpin bends. I risked another darting glance behind me, and the eyes seemed closer, fiercer. I sprinted faster and faster, tapping into energy resources unbeknownst to me, not noticing the darkness lifting around me until it hit me all at once.

I staggered over as the light hit my eyes, blinding me. I staggered over, mentally shattered. I couldn’t make sense of anything anymore. The light attacking me through the bars entranced me, as I sat still, staring, as my mind struggled to pull itself back together. I slowly regained my senses, and remembered where I was. The great behemoth was slowly advancing up the stairs, avoiding all traces of light. The iron grate and the stairs both led into this large chamber I was in, and the behemoth was now pacing into the chamber with me. It was a truly horrendous creature to behold, knotty shaggy fur coating its large twisted body, and its huge teeth would be able to snap me in two. Most frightening of all, though, was its eyes. The creature had glowing red eyes that pierced my mind, body, and soul, looking inside me and filling me with a sense of dread. It advanced towards me before taking a flying leap directly at me. I dropped off my feet, grazing my knees and chin, and it sailed over my head. I looked despairingly across at the iron grate; no way I could bend or break the bars myself. I ran towards the bars regardless; the beast seemed to detest the light, at least. The behemoth paced to the edge of the darkness, contemplating the light. It stared at the light shooting across the grey floor, then up at me. It reared back carefully, and then pounced viciously unto me. I lunged to the side, and the beast crashed violently through the bars, taking a few large rocks with it. It fell to the ground outside, in full exposure of the intense light, and began to smoulder away. Feeling extremely drained, I sat down and caught my breath. Eventually, my curiosity got the better of me and I crept out into the light. The warmth comforted me and I felt safer and more able than I had done in the labyrinth. I fell onto the warm sand that stretched out as far as I could see, arching up in beautiful dunes, and embraced the light.

Chocfudgemud

Reaction score
Gah that was freaky yet amazingly epic...
Geez that must have been some great writing class

In thinking if AoD should make a writing competition
We have so many great writers here.

• Thank You
Reactions: Jivvi